Sponsored by:

So, what did the G37 owners upgrade to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
If I had 50 gran burning a hole in my pocket i'd get the new camaro 2ss. Only problem with it is;

1) Very impractical
2) first model year, lots of bugs to work out
3) it doesn't come in a 4dr

Hmm.. All the more reason to hold on to the G for as long as possible.
Really? If someone had a gun to your head, forcing you to spend $50k on a freaking Chevy, seems to me the obvious choice would be the SS, not the Camaro.

Love what Toekneesea has done with his.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
The problem with the SS is the underpinnings. If they used the chassis from the new camaro/ats-v then we'd have a winner. As it is, the SS is a big car with a big engine but previous gen chassis.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-23-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My 6MT Sedan was "next car" for about 3 years before it became a reality. It's a great feeling when a plan gets put into motion, and you actually ride that plan through. Because of low miles, and a detailed budget for mods, my G represents a 10 year plan for ownership, and I'm almost 5 years into it.

My next "next car" is still on track (in my head), as a 4 to 5 year old Jaguar F-Type S Coupe 6MT. If all goes well, I suspect I'll be retiring with that Jag.

However, if age gives me feet of clay, and the days of driving a stiff, RWD, 6MT car are over... then I may very well consider the 400hp Lincoln MKZ, and do nothing with it whatsoever except keep the car clean.
My brother just ordered an MKZ. Looking forward to Christmas so I can drive it. He had toyed around with getting a more expensive car, but he really liked the MKZ.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Lease was up on the 2013 G37xS and decision was made on buying it out...
One month away with last payment on the lease and decided to discuss the terms of taking it over, but things turned and ended up driving home that night in a 2015 Q50S AWD.

The discussion of terms on the new lease was to good to turn away...especially when the payments were less and the Q50S was loaded and under CPO warranty.
The wife agreed that she would rather return the G37xS and except the new lease on the Q50S instead...we considered every scenario regarding pros and cons and decision was made.

Most G37 owners/drivers don't seem to agree that the Q50 is a better vehicle and I thought that too until I actually drove one.
The DAS was what sold me...yes the DAS.
The technology and features of the Q50 is a whole different animal compared to the G37...much more refined and advanced towards safety of the driver and passengers.

I always had an issue with the design of the Q50.
I thought the front was too aggressive compared to the plain roundness of the rear...side profile lines was good in my book.

After owning...I mean borrowing the Q50S, I grew to love it. Especially with a few slight mods to help enhance it's visual appearance.

Not sure what my next step will be...keep this VQ V6 3.7 (classic) or go for the RS400 when end of lease.
I've still got 3yrs, so I'm going to enjoy it!

Gemma with B2D Spacers~Dragion Designs by William Fong, on Flickr
Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
The problem with the SS is the underpinnings. If they used the chassis from the new camaro/ats-v then we'd have a winner. As it is, the SS is a big car with a big engine but previous gen chassis.
That, and it's using the old gen LS from the corvette without DI. And, the heavy curb weight making it seem not much more powerful than the G37 when comparing power/weight ratios. I hope the new refresh will introduce the new LS into the platform, if the platform is alive by then.

Also, the center console is not my favorite.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Because of increasing back problems, I'll probably have to get something a little easier to get into and out of, and with less bending over to unload - probably an SUV of some kind. I kind of like the new-gen Hyundai Tucson -not an upgrade, I guess, but I no longer care about the fun of bragging rights - hurting less is the big deal for me now.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
if your looking in the 25k range the isf is the best option. I was looking into one for a while and good examples with low miles are going for low 30k's, which is close to your target price. they have amazing reliability, just not much aftermarket support. though in my opinion, an isf really doesn't need much more performance than it already has. plenty of giddy up for a street car.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I plan on keeping my G well after it's paid off in 22 more months. My 'upgrade' will be in performance. A nice fancy interior won't be much of a factor if at all.

The 6MT SRT 392 is one I'm very interested in. I really like the Jazz Blue color and it already comes loaded in the performance department.

I'm also intrigued by the Focus RS. I'm pretty set on going with a muscle car since i already have the 4 door family sedan covered, but, anything that's AWD with 350hp/350tq and connected to a MT designed for performance i'll totally be open to. I'll definitely test drive one to see what it brings to the table.

I love the design of the Mustang. Another one that will be on list.

There's quite a few more that peak my interest but so far those are a few at the top of my list...
Old 07-23-2016, 05:56 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Won't be doing anything until next year at the earliest. I've been eyeing the Volvo V60 Polestar and the Chevy SS. Leaning more towards the AWD wagon. We will see!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny

I'm also intrigued by the Focus RS. I'm pretty set on going with a muscle car since i already have the 4 door family sedan covered, but, anything that's AWD with 350hp/350tq and connected to a MT designed for performance i'll totally be open to. I'll definitely test drive one to see what it brings to the table.
I had a chance to have some fun against one. We did 3 runs. Dig and 2 rolls. The guy said he just bought it a few days prior.

From a dig he had me by almost 3 car lengths to 80.

From a roll we both were pretty much side by side.

I have a 7AT G37S with HFC + Cat-back exhaust.

For a factory 4 banger the exhaust on it sounds pretty aggressive. Love how it sounds during launch control
Old 07-24-2016, 12:09 PM
vaio23
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I upgraded to a 650i

Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM
nintendo5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
if your looking in the 25k range the isf is the best option. I was looking into one for a while and good examples with low miles are going for low 30k's, which is close to your target price. they have amazing reliability, just not much aftermarket support. though in my opinion, an isf really doesn't need much more performance than it already has. plenty of giddy up for a street car.
O ok, yea I didnt think about that one! I'm not much into aftermarket support anyways as I dont really mod cars for performance or I would have just dropped a $10k supercharger on my $16k G37 that I already own instead of buying a ~$25k used car.

Well, I appreciate the options peeps, now the dreaded listing and selling the car privately begins....

EDIT: @Vaio23: Now that is what I call a sweet upgrade!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by vaio23
I upgraded to a 650i
Sick upgrade. Idk how people proudly drove the previous generation. That thing was butt ugly along with the huge 7 serious of that gen
Old 07-25-2016, 02:30 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I upgraded a year and 9 months ago.
2008 CPO LS460
Attached Thumbnails So, what did the G37 owners upgrade to?-wp_20150517_09_14_24_pro.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
My G has been paid off for nearly a year now, and I have no plans to get rid of her. I'm saving to add an SC in maybe two years. However, I may get a second fun car if my finances allow. I'm looking at either an MX-5 or a Jeep.