Eibach Springs + spacers review

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Eibach Springs + spacers review

I know the haters are going to hate so please, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, don't post anything.

I purchased Eibach springs for my G37s sedan and installed 20mm H&R spacers on all four corners. I have 19" IPL wheels too so they are a bit wider than the stock 18" sport wheels. This lasted only 4500 miles before I went back to stock.

H&R Spacers
Just like everything I've ever purchased from H&R, this is a very high quality product. Everyone on this forum states that when lowering the car, the wheels get tucked because of how the suspension is designed which is true. However, with 20mm spacers and lowering springs, the wheels stick out further than stock. It is just at the edge of the fenders and it didn't rub at all.

BUT, I got way more crap on the doors and back bumper especially when it rained. It was pretty annoying when washing the car because I knew the doors would be covered in crap. I worried about getting rock chips on the side of the car too. I'm guessing that the 17" or 18" wheels on the car, it wouldn't be a problem but with the 19" IPL wheels, it was too much. I don't recommend this combo. 10mm spacers would have been better with the 19" wheels but then you have to install new wheel studs.

Eibach Springs
I didn't upgrade my struts when installing the lowering springs but I do have the sport struts so I thought this would be enough. Boy, was I was wrong. The front seems OK but the rear of the car was entirely too soft. It was really bad if I had a passenger in the back. Any interstate driving was pretty unstable especially when going over uneven parts of the road or going over dips in the road. It got unsettled quickly as it squatted too much and then the rebound was exaggerated too.

I had to buy rear SPC camber arms to get the rear in spec. It was still at -1 camber and the fronts were also at -1 camber.

Wheel hop is better with these springs and this is probably because the rear squats more than the stock ones.

Stock
I went back to the stock suspension but I still have the IPL wheels. The car is much more balanced. It handles dips in the road much better, corners better, and the sides of the car doesn't get dirty like it used to. I can only assume that the aerodynamics is better now too.

If I had purchased new struts to go with the Eibach springs, it probably would have been much better. However, for that kind of money, I would have been better off with coilovers because the struts are matched to the springs and you can adjust the ride height so that you don't need camber kits to get the car into alignment.

Take it from this old guy, if you get lowering springs, get new struts at the same time but if you are really smart, get coilovers. Or if you are even smarter, get the coupe sport wheels and the sedan sport suspension.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with -1* camber (or -2*, for that matter). I wouldn't get all worked up about that.

Last year, blnewt directed me towards Tein Basis coilovers to replace my Swift springs. For what I was trying to accomplish with the rear of my car, it was solid advice from one old guy to another...

...to another, LOL.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I did Tein Basis coilovers on my car and got 19" wheels with offsets that did not require spacers because I did not want anything to do with spacers on the track. It was very difficult to find light strong wheels with the right offset.

Anyway, I still needed rear camber arms to get the alignment in spec with the Tein coilovers, but they are cheap and well worth it.

How many miles were on your car when you got the Eibach springs? I am just wondering if your shocks were worn out at all. I did Eibachs on my Evo and they rode decent on the street, but compressed way too much on the track since they were a progressive rate spring. Are they progressive on the G37 or linear?
Old 07-18-2016, 02:06 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I ordered Eibach springs and Koni Yellows (along with some other goodies) Thursday and they should be here Friday, hopefully, and looking at installation on Saturday.

Having the base Journey i wanted to stiffen up the suspension, especially on the front which really hampers the handling of this car when cornering hard. Hopefully having the Koni's will solidify that, they should, as well as on the back to help prevent too much bounce, as you described, when running over dips in the road. I was a little worried about that when finally deciding to lower my G and having this soft luxury suspension.

Doing some research before finally pulling the trigger on this setup. I've read nothing but great reviews about it. I was a bit surprised this didn't work out for you unfortunately. That's really surprising with the Sport suspension + Eibach.

Got a date with the tail of the dragon next month when i go to Knoxville for vacation to stay with some family. I intend to give this setup a really good workout and see how it does. I can't wait. I just hope i have enough cash saved up to go 245/45 on all four corners before i go...
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Columbia- I am curious to hear what you think of the Koni/Eibach setup.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Columbia- I am curious to hear what you think of the Koni/Eibach setup.
Me too. I'll definitely give my impressions after the springs have settled and then i get the dampening set where i want it...
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM
jgronline

How many miles were on your car when you got the Eibach springs?
I had around 40,000 miles on the car.

I am just wondering if your shocks were worn out at all. I did Eibachs on my Evo and they rode decent on the street, but compressed way too much on the track since they were a progressive rate spring. Are they progressive on the G37 or linear?
I recall reading that the coupe springs aren't progressive but the sedan springs are progressive in the rear. It did compress way too much in the rear too.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2016, 12:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jgronline
I recall reading that the coupe springs aren't progressive but the sedan springs are progressive in the rear. It did compress way too much in the rear too.
That doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe I am missing something here, but why would they have linear springs in front and progressive in the rear? It seems like that would really mess up the ride and handling.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM
jgronline

I just read the Eibach site and it states that both the coupe and sedan springs are progressive. My bad.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jgronline
I just read the Eibach site and it states that both the coupe and sedan springs are progressive. My bad.
Ok, I thought I was losing my mind there for a minute. All the Eibach springs I have worked with are progressive, but maybe they make linear springs for different applications.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:10 PM
EuroRSN

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
H&R Springs would be a better buy overall.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by EuroRSN
H&R Springs would be a better buy overall.
Depends what you're wanting, for a slammed spring the H&Rs are the choice, but Eibachs will be much easier to live w/ day to day.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
The H&R are even lower than the Eibach?? Oh god, then don't get them unless you just hate having ground clearance. The Eibachs are low enough lol.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts

Yep, H&Rs drop at least 2" (quite a bit more than what their literature states)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had Swift Springs and 20 mm HR spacers on mine for about 4 month.

Going back to stock now.. but with different wheels (squared coupe 19 wheels)

I have took off the spacers(currently for sale) yesterday and I'm currently working on taking off springs which will be for sale soon.

It looked really good with these.. I'm going to miss them.. I can't afford all the necessary mods that would help me last my tires the longest..

Decided to just ride as a stock and ride the G without any concerns until it breaks apart. Probably going to save money for weekend car instead of modding my G.

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 10-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Eibach Springs + spacers review