G37 Sedan

New G37 Owner

Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 PM
JP-77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 Owner

Hello all, I'm new to Infiniti and just purchased a 09 G37. Love the car, it's fun to drive for sure, but I have a little issue already.

I say little issue because we just bought the car yesterday, and the dealership should be able to take care of it. The papers haven't been completed yet, so we can take it back if needed.

We bought it from a big Volkswagen dealership, they got it in as a trade.
It's a 09 G37 with 126k miles on it. The car is in amazing shape, we took it for a test drive and noticed it sounded like it was revving at high rpm's or like it wasn't shifting.

After watching the RPM gauge you could see the car was shifting smooth and at the right RPM's. So the dealer said they may have installed some kind of after market exhaust to make it sound more aggressive.

So I went with the idea they may have did a aftermarket exhaust since we did test drive one earlier that day with aftermarket exhaust and it was loud.

however after getting it home and getting a jack under it I saw it was the stock exhaust, so tranny shifts fine it doesn't run at high rpm's and engine sounds great. The only 2 things i could think of is a wheel hub/bearing or drive shaft.

I checked all 4 wheels with the wheel jacked up and checking for any play with the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. All 4 wheels had no play what so ever, then I noticed while turning the back wheels while in neutral, you could hear a whistle/squeal noise coming from the front or rear drive shaft.

If I had to guess I would say it sounded more like it was coming from the front or center area. And at higher speeds it sounds like the car is running at high rpm's, but it's not.

Anyways I just thought I would drop in and maybe get some G37 owners opinion on this before i go back to the dealer, the more knowledge I have about the issues the better for me when I go back. And if they get it fixed I will keep the car, and you will see more of me around here.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome. You have to make it clear to your readers that you have the AWD model. It wasn't clear until your 7th paragraph.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, not sure if the AWD has a similar setup for the front drive but check this thread a bit down where he talks about the ripped/cracking driveshaft rubber mount.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...or-review.html
Hopefully the issue(s) you're having is something easily diagnosed and easy to remedy.
Keep us posted.
Brad
Old 07-10-2016, 02:16 PM
JP-77

Sorry wasn't sure if it's awd, how do I know if it's awd?
Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JP-77
You don't know what car you bought?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Do you have an "x" beside the G37 badge on your trunk (unless the previous owner may have removed it)? Another way to tell is if you have a switch on your center console for snow mode.

Last edited by ShuuraRG; 07-10-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 PM
JP-77

Originally Posted by VQCrew
You don't know what car you bought?
I did say I'm new to Infiniti, and I'm a little confused from what I've seen the G37 is rear wheel drive and the G37x is awd.

There is no G37 or G37x badge of the back of the car like the others I looked at, however the dealer has it listed as a G37, but in the details under drive type it says all wheel drive.

I do have the snow button option by the middle console, I guess the easy way would be take a look under the front.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM
JP-77

Also when I put the VIN number in my insurance site, it says it's awd.

Reason I don't think it's a G37x it because it doesn't have the navigation or the his and her auto seat/steering wheel adjust.

Anyways thanks for the replies, the info is much appreciated and I will let you know what the dealer says tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Sounds like you do have an AWD model!

I wish I could be of more help with your actual issue. I had a wheel bearing go bad on me, but never noticed. When I took my car in for its 100k maintenance, it was discovered.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:36 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Also when I put the VIN number in my insurance site, it says it's awd.

Reason I don't think it's a G37x it because it doesn't have the navigation or the his and her auto seat/steering wheel adjust.

Anyways thanks for the replies, the info is much appreciated and I will let you know what the dealer says tomorrow.
The "x" only designates it as an AWD model and doesn't refer to any options that may or may not have been installed.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:07 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Sounds like you have a base G37x
Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum JP. I'm sorry to hear your having issues with the car so soon. Hopefully the dealer can fix it bc these cars truly are awesome to drive and own. If you have the snow button then you have an all wheel drive X model 110%. Best of luck with the situation and keep us all posted on the outcome!
Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM
JP-77

Thanks for clearing up the X/awd part for me guy's, is it all wheel drive all time or only when the back tires start to slip?

Hopefully they will fix this issue and we will keep the car, they did sell us on a 2 year 12.000 warranty, but I feel like they should fix this since we only drove it home which is only 5 miles away. And the sales person heard the noise too and he's the one who said it could just be after market exhaust

I'm just going to tell them fix it or take it back, I don't wanna have to use the 2 year warranty on it after only driving 5 miles.

Either way I will let you all know which way it goes.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Thanks for clearing up the X/awd part for me guy's, is it all wheel drive all time or only when the back tires start to slip?

Hopefully they will fix this issue and we will keep the car, they did sell us on a 2 year 12.000 warranty, but I feel like they should fix this since we only drove it home which is only 5 miles away. And the sales person heard the noise too and he's the one who said it could just be after market exhaust

I'm just going to tell them fix it or take it back, I don't wanna have to use the 2 year warranty on it after only driving 5 miles.

Either way I will let you all know which way it goes.
it's mostly 70/30 RWD biased, until it detects traction loss or you flip the switch.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 PM
JP-77

Well I took the car back Monday, and just called them to find out what's wrong. They said it was the front left wheel bearing and they ordered a new one, it will be done in a couple of days.

I'm not a ASE certified mechanic, but I always do my own repairs. I've replaced wheel bearings before and usually you can check for play with the wheel in the air. I checked all 4 wheels on this car for any play, they were all solid . You would think if a wheel bearing was that bad off making that much noise it would have some play in it.

It was loud like like the car was running at really high rpm's, I will post back if they did indeed fix it.

Last edited by JP-77; 07-12-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Search this Thread