G37 Sedan

Looking into axle-back systems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking into axle-back systems!

After quite a bit of deliberation I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a 2008 Infiniti G35S, and now I want to hear it hum. I have looked into everything from HFC's to full cat back systems and now I've found myself looking at the Tanabe Medallion and the Megan Racing axle-back systems. I don't want something too loud because I do have to drive people around on occasion for my job, but I want to be able to hear it when I get on it. What do you guys think about either system?

Last edited by jabba_the_slut; 05-24-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: accidentally hit enter
Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by jabba_the_slut
After quite a bit of deliberation I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a 2008 Infiniti G35S, and now I want to hear it hum. I have looked into everything from HFC's to full cat back systems and now I've found myself looking at the Tanabe Medallion and the Megan Racing axle-back systems. I don't want something too loud because I do have to drive people around on occasion for my job, but I want to be able to hear it when I get on it. What do you guys think about either system?
Welcome to the site.
Tanabe is pretty mild tone, but nice build quality. Didn't know Megan made just an axle back, I do know they make a set similar to the TopSpeed. That would be a good choice for a deeper tone. I've had my TopSpeed for several years now and it still looks & sounds nice, but the latest batch seems to have some fitment issues, also if you look into this set be SURE to get beveled tips, the straight tips look poor.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 AM
rj8dan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to check this thread for the sound of megan racing. See post #71-- https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...exhaust-5.html
Old 06-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Carboy37
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw on this thread about potential reversible muffler delete options.

They're significantly cheaper than your above mentioend options, but some of the axle-back products on here have options for the G37 such as this.

If you manage to call them up and see what options they have for the G37 and G35, perhaps you may be the first to find out about reversible muffler delete options!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I bought the Tanabe and HFCs after much research and deliberation. I've yet to install the HFCs but will tell you with the Tanabe by itself I'm horribly disappointed. when revving by itself and the door open with me in the driver seat I can hear it rasp a bit above 4500 RPMs or so. and below that it's virtually silent. It's pretty much the biggest waste and disappointing $500 I've ever spent. The build quality is nice though, I will agree with that. I've heard with the HFCs it livens it up a bit. I'm just too scared to get mine installed.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jabba_the_slut
check out Fast Intentions CBE....it's worth the money (new or used). I finally installed my FI exhaust system and it's been great! I have the 2.25" with 18" resonators. Very good sound and you can drive with passengers comfortably.

VQ35HR / VQ37VHR: 2007-2013, Fast Intentions
Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
You should post the meme on the 370z boards for the countless members with AAM short tails (a muffler delete, in case you were confused).
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM
maxdrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had the Tanabe installed. Didn't want anything real loud. I am somewhat disappointed with the sound. It does sound better; kinda like adding a little bass to a song...but that's about it. I also expected more. I'm going to give it some time and let it break-in. I may be heading down to the local custom exhaust shop and discuss some options...

I have a Tanabe catback exhaust installed on my Z and love it. The sound "fits" the Z. I wanted something quieter for the G. Excellent build quality on the Tanabe products.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by maxdrive
I recently had the Tanabe installed. Didn't want anything real loud. I am somewhat disappointed with the sound. It does sound better; kinda like adding a little bass to a song...but that's about it. I also expected more. I'm going to give it some time and let it break-in. I may be heading down to the local custom exhaust shop and discuss some options...

I have a Tanabe catback exhaust installed on my Z and love it. The sound "fits" the Z. I wanted something quieter for the G. Excellent build quality on the Tanabe products.
Add some resonated Test pipes, that will wake it up.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
The Tanabe sounds like stock until you get on it. I'd say for what it's worth, $500 is very fair. 2 high quality, Japanese mufflers that look great. You can always expand if your looking for more sound, such as adding HFC or even doing custom piping.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM
maxdrive

Originally Posted by blnewt
Add some resonated Test pipes, that will wake it up.
Ok realizing that sound is subjective...how does what you recommend compare to the average catback system in regards to sound volume?

Hypothetically, let's say on a scale of 10, the axel-back is a 3 and a catback is a 7...where does the axel with the resonated test pipes fall?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 AM
maxdrive

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
The Tanabe sounds like stock until you get on it. I'd say for what it's worth, $500 is very fair. 2 high quality, Japanese mufflers that look great. You can always expand if your looking for more sound, such as adding HFC or even doing custom piping.
Good point and I agree. The mufflers look awesome.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by maxdrive
Ok realizing that sound is subjective...how does what you recommend compare to the average catback system in regards to sound volume?

Hypothetically, let's say on a scale of 10, the axel-back is a 3 and a catback is a 7...where does the axel with the resonated test pipes fall?
Well here is my current setup on my G37x sedan. Tanabe axle back and Berks HFC
I'd say this setup is around a 6, not crazy loud but definitely noticeable. Gets loud when you get on it too, I have several videos on my YouTube channel.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Tgeml

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the Tanabe axle back on my old 08 G35x for reference.

Quick Reply: Looking into axle-back systems!