Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Custom Standoff

The custom extension piece arrived from LatheWerks.

Approximately 1.1" shank with a 3/4" inner thread, and a 3/4" top thread.

Here are all the **** components, including the OEM **** (with the leather ripped off the sides.)

And here's the Ti **** with the extension inside:

With a couple before / after shots:

Height is normal again, throw is still freakishly short, however I'm going to have to tweak fitment underneath, in that the ring needs a little more pressure to stay tight under the ****. Shouldn't be a problem, the TWM has a spacer ring positioned by half-a-dozen rubber rings. It's easy too reconfigure that placement, and secure the boot to a particular position.

Feeling like this is a keeper. Still need to drive around.

In hindsight, here's the bottom line: if you're getting a custom **** to pair with a STS, and you're concerned about height, have the inner threads cut 3/4" less deep than would be typical.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-26-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:01 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Very nice!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just drove the car around, and when I got back I removed the shift boot and fiddled around with the underside of the shaft, securing the boot more tightly up against the ring. Fitment is pretty good right now.

As for driving... Yes! I really needed to do this. With the **** at OEM height, it just feels right in my hand, and the overall reach feels right again. (Four years of muscle memory, I suppose. ) And while the height is back to normal, the shift pattern remains super tight...

...which is the whole point of the STS. At least, that's how I'm looking at it. I never wanted to *lower* the ****, I just wanted a shorter throw. So a little bit of customization later, and I'm there. Feels good.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Just drove the car around, and when I got back I removed the shift boot and fiddled around with the underside of the shaft, securing the boot more tightly up against the ring. Fitment is pretty good right now.

As for driving... Yes! I really needed to do this. With the **** at OEM height, it just feels right in my hand, and the overall reach feels right again. (Four years of muscle memory, I suppose. ) And while the height is back to normal, the shift pattern remains super tight...

...which is the whole point of the STS. At least, that's how I'm looking at it. I never wanted to *lower* the ****, I just wanted a shorter throw. So a little bit of customization later, and I'm there. Feels good.
Awesome, man. Glad that worked out for you. Looking forward to more driving impressions from you, and I may go this route as well.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
Awesome, man. Glad that worked out for you. Looking forward to more driving impressions from you, and I may go this route as well.
Drove the car more last night, and again this morning. The shift **** height is totally normal again, solid as a rock with this custom adapter, and exactly what I was hoping for... short shifts without a ricey, weirdly lowered ****. I'm very happy. Big thanks to Chris at LatheWerks for working with me on this project.

As for the transmission mount... when I said it was becoming normal, that's true. But I'm not an idiot, and obviously I'm aware of how the car growls. Thing is, I love it. The only thing that's in the back of my head about this is how exhausting the car is becoming when you have a lot of seat time. But for me, personally, that's not a problem considering how little it's actually driven. If I had to drive it every single day, numerous times a day, then I understand how it could become tiresome. Fortunately, that's not my situation, so I'm good. Better than good, even... feel like a little kid with a new toy.

I'll be at the meetup in August. If someone else there is on the fence about this mod, ask me about it. If you're a 6MT owner, you can certainly drive it around the park and see for yourself.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:10 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
I drive 50 miles, round trip, five days a week, so I can see this rumble (I think that's a more appropriate description) getting to me. The other thing I've noticed is this new, amplified sound is masking my exhaust note; it's really overpowering all other sounds from the car.

Based on these factors, I'm considering going back to stock. I know it's only been a few days, but 50 miles a day can really change your outlook.

STS goes on this weekend.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Furlow

Drove the car more last night, and again this morning. The shift **** height is totally normal again, solid as a rock with this custom adapter, and exactly what I was hoping for... short shifts without a ricey, weirdly lowered ****. I'm very happy. Big thanks to Chris at LatheWerks for working with me on this project.

As for the transmission mount... when I said it was becoming normal, that's true. But I'm not an idiot, and obviously I'm aware of how the car growls. Thing is, I love it. The only thing that's in the back of my head about this is how exhausting the car is becoming when you have a lot of seat time. But for me, personally, that's not a problem considering how little it's actually driven. If I had to drive it every single day, numerous times a day, then I understand how it could become tiresome. Fortunately, that's not my situation, so I'm good. Better than good, even... feel like a little kid with a new toy.

I'll be at the meetup in August. If someone else there is on the fence about this mod, ask me about it. If you're a 6MT owner, you can certainly drive it around the park and see for yourself.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like a perfect fix for the STS.

I agree about liking the growl from the Z1 mount, I'm just not sure that the CONSTANT growl isn't going to drive me nuts. I will give it a couple of weeks, perhaps it will settle or in and/or I will get used to is. I'm also not a fan of the other negative noises from the transmission that have been enhanced. I LOVE the improved shifting and power delivery to the wheels though, that is awesome.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
Thanks for the update! Sounds like a perfect fix for the STS.

I agree about liking the growl from the Z1 mount, I'm just not sure that the CONSTANT growl isn't going to drive me nuts. I will give it a couple of weeks, perhaps it will settle or in and/or I will get used to is. I'm also not a fan of the other negative noises from the transmission that have been enhanced. I LOVE the improved shifting and power delivery to the wheels though, that is awesome.
You should maybe buy Liam's Vibra-Technics mount after he takes it off his car. It might tame things just enough for you to find that equilibrium. Then you create a FS thread for your Z1 mount...

...it's a Circle of Life thing, LOL. Plus, you would be the only person to actually have all 3 configurations in a short period of time, making you the undisputed expert on how these compare to one another. Start your own thread, share your opinions with the world. Women will swoon... Children will sing songs about you. It will be awesome.
The following users liked this post:
Sway_NV (05-31-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Furlow

You should maybe buy Liam's Vibra-Technics mount after he takes it off his car. It might tame things just enough for you to find that equilibrium. Then you create a FS thread for your Z1 mount...

...it's a Circle of Life thing, LOL. Plus, you would be the only person to actually have all 3 configurations in a short period of time, making you the undisputed expert on how these compare to one another. Start your own thread, share your opinions with the world. Women will swoon... Children will sing songs about you. It will be awesome.
That's a possibility! "Circle of life" lol, I like it.

His description of the Vibra-Tech mount sounds similar to what I'm experiencing though. I wonder how different it would actually be. It's hard to know because it's so subjective, and all of our cars are set up differently.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I already have dibs on Liam's mount if he removes it.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:41 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Roch - I have never seen a single pic you've ever posted. I have no idea what your car looks like. it's always an X. saddens me.....
Old 05-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by IracknBack
Roch - I have never seen a single pic you've ever posted. I have no idea what your car looks like. it's always an X. saddens me.....
That's weird, man. All my pics are hosted on my personal website, and it seems your provider is blocking it... or that's my best guess. Lots of pics in my progress thread.

Anyway, I said I would re-do the video on the first page, and I have. It's a *LOT* shorter (no pun ) than the first one.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

cant' see them there either my friend.

why you gotta be blocking federal government computers on your personal website? got sumthin' to hide?

(gubmint computers also can't do emoticons or would insert a good one here)
Old 05-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by IracknBack
why you gotta be blocking federal government computers on your personal website? got sumthin' to hide?
You do realize that you got that completely backwards, right?

Surf at home on your own hardware, man. Stop wasting my taxes.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

hey even us feds get lunch breaks! granted mine was over 7 mins ago.....

trust me, your taxes are being wasted in far worse places than my salary.

hahaha
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount