Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
I can't understand it either. its not something I'd have really sought out but once I read about it, seemed like a decent idea and $200 is a drop in the bucket for modding a car so figured it couldn't hurt. and now all I want to do is go drive around even more than usual! haha.
Intentional NVH mods are an uncommon thing on this forum. The Z crowd, however... that's a different breed of enthusiast.

Some months ago, I wrote this in another thread, thinking about the Z1 Motor Mounts. Granted, I was thinking about them in the context of my old Maxima, which was a transverse-engine, FWD car. But I think the concepts still hold.

Pros:
  • It's a handling mod, because body roll is reduced when the engine is more connected to the frame.
  • It's a power mod, because energy previously wasted tossing the engine around is now being transmitted through the drive-train.
  • It's a transmission mod, because shifts will be smoother with less movement.
  • It's a driving mod, because throttle response will be significantly improved.
  • It's an ego mod, because the added NVH turns your sedan into a racecar.
  • It's an economical mod, because at $200, plus installation, the price is right.
Cons:
  • NVH that you can't turn off. However... you might actually like it.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
i don't disagree 4 inches is crazy. but it's easier to cut material off than add it. unless you have a pen cap handy. haha.
but my thoughts are not only would it POSSIBLY look ok but it may be more fun/useful for spirited curvy drives because you can have both hands on the wheel with less time removed to shift. and I've always loved the look of old school Ferraris with the same shift style. I'm very prepared to hate it but $50 is a very cheap experiment so we shall see. Not at all defending my crazy, just saying if it doesn't work, i'll have no issues tossing it in the trash.

what does NVH mean?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It's a common automotive term that stands for "Noise, Vibration, Harshness".

The problem (?) as I see it with those extenders is the mid-section. About half a year ago, I wrote TWM asking them about a shorty extension. They said it was a good idea, and would forward the idea to other people in the company. Yesterday I re-opened that email thread and bumped the idea again. Don't have a lot of hope anything will come, but it's not like I'm in a hard-stop situation.

It's not really a 4" extension... think about it. If the extender is 4" long, but each end is overlapped by 1" threads, then what you have here is a 3" extension, which is no bueno, IMO. What I want is one of these extenders, but without that entire tapered mid-section. And even then, I'd still lop a little bit off the threaded ends.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-11-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the Z1 trans mount. Hopefully, you found a good fix for the height of the shifter. My shifter was ridiculously low too initially- to the point where I was dragging my knuckles on the shifter trim.

I experimented with some chrome spacers between the shift boot and the 8 ball shaped shift ****, but ended up getting a tear drop shaped shift **** and using a washer on top of the shift lever to raise the height. Now it's perfect for me.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Subscribed for info.

I'm interested in your thoughts on high RPM NVH on acceleration and deceleration.

As long as there are no nasty habits at 6500+ rpm I'll be adding the trans mount soon
I was trying to explain the NVH in a few threads when I got mine last year and with an aftermarket exhaust it is nice because the vibration almost enhances the exhaust by making it sound throatier. Like making the V6 sound more like a V8. I like the way it sounds at all rpms.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 04:06 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Great write up Rochester.

Very intersting how that trans mount makes that big of a difference.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, John you've convinced me. I just placed an order for the TWM STS. I'm also upgrading the Transmission mount, but I didn't go with Z1. I'll share details on this other company's mount once I get it installed.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Well, John you've convinced me. I just placed an order for the TWM STS. I'm also upgrading the Transmission mount, but I didn't go with Z1. I'll share details on this other company's mount once I get it installed.
That's awesome, Liam. Really looking forward to your opinion.

The only thing about the STS that bugs me is how low it sits once you get the entire console back together. I regained an extra 1/2" by sacrificing 1/2" of thread internal to my shift ****... and that made a really annoying situation almost irrelevant. Almost. I keep thinking there has to be a solution to get back to stock height. My original idea of buying a 10mm-to-10mm standoff in 1.25 pitch seemed a slam dunk... except that hardware doesn't exist. It just doesn't.

So I'm back to thinking about getting a coupling nut and manufacturing my own standoff. But I'm in no hurry, because things are good enough as is. It's going to be something I play with in the back of my head until I actually do something, or forget about it. If this is something you find a solution to, please share.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:20 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Been thinking about this issue and I agree it has to be solve able. Have you tried looking at large scale RC stuff? Like 1/5 scale or maybe even 1/4 though there much less common.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I wonder if WC Lathe Werks could make an adapter.....
Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I swear I was thinking that exact same thing.

It's certainly worth an email... which I just did.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I swear I was thinking that exact same thing.

It's certainly worth an email.
Great minds think alike
Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Chris from LatheWerks wrote me back, and he's amenable to the idea of creating a custom standoff. However, I think it's going to take a few more emails to get on the same page.

He always comes across as a really nice guy.

An alternative solution would be to have him cut a new ****, but lower the internals by 3/4". That would work, too, but be kind of expensive, particularly since I also have a winter ****. Unless I sold them online... IDK. I need to process these options.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
If you add length to the short shifter, won't the throws be very similar to stock?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
If you add length to the short shifter, won't the throws be very similar to stock?
No, not really. Height is only a contributing factor to the overall physics.

There was a period where I was driving around with the entire center console removed, like in those pics up on top. And that was both before and after the STS was installed. The difference before/after was somewhat dramatic in the moment. Adding another inch of height isn't going to change it up that much, IMO.

Assuming 1/2" of thread contact is adequate, if I take a 30mm M10-1.25 coupling nut, and weld a threaded M10-1.25 post into the middle, cutting the extension from the nut by another 15mm, then the coupling nut would screw onto the shaft with 15mm of contact, and the **** would screw onto the extension with 15mm of contact... making the **** 30mm higher than otherwise.

So much math... LOL

Why only a 30mm coupling nut? Why not 45mm to max out thread contact on the shaft? Well, apparently the only commonly available M10-1.25 coupling nut is 30mm. Just like the availability problem with the stand-off idea, it's a piece of hardware that just can't be found unless you custom order 1000+ of them.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's awesome, Liam. Really looking forward to your opinion.

The only thing about the STS that bugs me is how low it sits once you get the entire console back together. I regained an extra 1/2" by sacrificing 1/2" of thread internal to my shift ****... and that made a really annoying situation almost irrelevant. Almost. I keep thinking there has to be a solution to get back to stock height. My original idea of buying a 10mm-to-10mm standoff in 1.25 pitch seemed a slam dunk... except that hardware doesn't exist. It just doesn't.

So I'm back to thinking about getting a coupling nut and manufacturing my own standoff. But I'm in no hurry, because things are good enough as is. It's going to be something I play with in the back of my head until I actually do something, or forget about it. If this is something you find a solution to, please share.
Do you have a hydraulic hose and fitting supplier anywhere near you? There's a decent chance they'd have a hydraulic fitting in the sizing you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount