Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
ChannelLock plyers, but you'll destroy it. I just twisted mine off

I really advise living with the STS before modifying the height. I initially thought it was too high and used a couple washers to raise the height, but removed them and went back to whatever the TWM height is. I have a 370 **** which is marginally larger OE and the height is the new normal
I couldn't save mine, had to tear it apart to get it off. I was installing a titanium **** though, so I didn't care.

I'll try it at this height for a while. It's certainly not bad, but I'ma perfectionist and I think just a tad higher (but lower than stock) would be perfect.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
ChannelLock plyers, but you'll destroy it.
Two people, two large channel-lock pliers, and the simple acceptance that you will destroy the OEM ****. Dislodge the shift-boot ring so that you can get one set of pliers around the OEM shifter stalk under the boot, and use the other set of pliers to turn the ****. It took us a lot of effort, turning the damn **** 1/4 turn at a time... it wasn't like we just broke it loose and were suddenly able to turn it by hand.

I really advise living with the STS before modifying the height. I initially thought it was too high and used a couple washers to raise the height, but removed them and went back to whatever the TWM height is. I have a 370 **** which is marginally larger OE and the height is the new normal
I agree, give it some time, Furlow. Your aftermarket **** looks tall, probably taller than my tear-drop ****. I suspect yours is fine lowered into the boot. However, if you want it raised, at least with this thread (no pun), you know there are options.

I've had zero issues with this custom adapter. Didn't even need to use any thread-locker. Everything is tight.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-22-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 AM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Rochester
Two people, two large channel-lock pliers, and the simple acceptance that you will destroy the OEM ****. Dislodge the shift-boot ring so that you can get one set of pliers around the OEM shifter stalk under the boot, and use the other set of pliers to turn the ****. It took us a lot of effort, turning the damn **** 1/4 turn at a time... it wasn't like we just broke it loose and were suddenly able to turn it by hand.

I agree, give it some time, Furlow. Your aftermarket **** looks tall, probably taller than my tear-drop ****. I suspect yours is fine lowered into the boot. However, if you want it raised, at least with this thread (no pun), you know there are options.

I've had zero issues with this custom adapter. Didn't even need to use any thread-locker. Everything is tight.

I'm definitely going to give it some time, and even if I do go with an extension, I don't want to return it to stock height. How much of an extension is yours?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
I'm definitely going to give it some time, and even if I do go with an extension, I don't want to return it to stock height. How much of an extension is yours?
I didn't take precise measurements, but I believe the inner threads and the outer threads are each approximately 3/4", with an added 1/4 to 1/2" in the barrel between the two halves. All told, I'm guessing it raised the **** back up just under 1".

If you watch the video, you can see that at OEM height at the base of the **** is a little bit lower than it is with the new shifter plus the extension... 1/4", maybe. It's not a perfect comparison, though. Getting the video camera lined up to an exact before/after perspective was something I tried to eyeball, so don't expect 100% precision there.

Thing is, my titanium **** is already about 1/2" shorter than the OEM unit, so it all balances out to a very normal reach. And when you look at it, you would have no idea there's a STS installed. Heck, to the unfamiliar eye, the ti-**** and leather boot all look very, very stock. I really couldn't be happier.

So many detailed numbers subjectively pulled out of thin air, but there it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-23-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Rochester
I didn't take precise measurements, but I believe the inner threads and the outer threads are each approximately 3/4", with an added 1/4 to 1/2" in the barrel between the two halves. All told, I'm guessing it raised the **** back up just under 1".

If you watch the video, you can see that at OEM height at the base of the **** is a little bit lower than it is with the new shifter plus the extension... 1/4", maybe. It's not a perfect comparison, though. Getting the video camera lined up to an exact before/after perspective was something I tried to eyeball, so don't expect 100% precision there.

Thing is, my titanium **** is already about 1/2" shorter than the OEM unit, so it all balances out to a very normal reach. And when you look at it, you would have no idea there's a STS installed. Heck, to the unfamiliar eye, the ti-**** and leather boot all look very, very stock. I really couldn't be happier.

So many detailed numbers subjectively pulled out of thin air, but there it is.

Shifter Compare v2 - OEM vs. TWM STS - YouTube
Interesting. So if I only want to raise mine by half of what you did, I'd want my extension to be half of yours (duh). But I'm thinking that may not be enough thread to make it secure? I also just woke up so maybe my brain isn't fully functioning lol.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Furlow

Question for those with a STS. Are you getting extra vibration through the ****? At 5,000 rpm and higher, there's a noticeable vibration and slight rattle coming from the shifter. Doesn't seem normal and I don't like it...
Old 07-24-2016, 12:00 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Question for those with a STS. Are you getting extra vibration through the ****? At 5,000 rpm and higher, there's a noticeable vibration and slight rattle coming from the shifter. Doesn't seem normal and I don't like it...
Yup, I've had my TWM STS installed now for about 5k miles and there is a very noticeable rattle at high RPM. Most noticeable when accelerating hard.

At first, I thought it was the plastic shift boot collar vibrating against the shifter, so I added padding around the shifter where the collar sits and that didn't help. Then I thought it might be the reverse lockout pin vibrating against the lockout plate, because I first noticed the rattle at highway speeds in 5th or 6th gear. But now I hear the rattle in 1st and 2nd when accelerating hard. So now I have no idea what it might be. Perhaps I didn't tighten something down properly?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Furlow

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Yup, I've had my TWM STS installed now for about 5k miles and there is a very noticeable rattle at high RPM. Most noticeable when accelerating hard.

At first, I thought it was the plastic shift boot collar vibrating against the shifter, so I added padding around the shifter where the collar sits and that didn't help. Then I thought it might be the reverse lockout pin vibrating against the lockout plate, because I first noticed the rattle at highway speeds in 5th or 6th gear. But now I hear the rattle in 1st and 2nd when accelerating hard. So now I have no idea what it might be. Perhaps I didn't tighten something down properly?
Yeah I didn't notice it at first, but I did today (day 2). All gears for me. Yikes I can't imagine having it like this all the time, let alone get worse...
Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've more vibration through the ****, but I attribute that to the Z1 transmission mount. No actual "rattle", though.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Another "no rattles" here
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
NoahZ
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey guys, just finished reading this thread and THANKS for all the good information. I'm very interested in the both mods and will do both since I can't leave my car alone.
Probably a good thing to do at the same time since I'll be under the car in the same area. STS sounds like a keeper but if anyone has the Z1 trans mount laying around I'll buy it.
I'll post my 2 cents after install and
Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Furlow

So my car is at the shop and they completely took apart the STS. No sign of anything loose. I emailed Torque Solutions and they replied with "watch this video." Umm, okay.

It's a good video, and at 6:14 he starts talking about a "Concept Z shifter socket cup" that he got. I'm assuming to replace the OEM cup. Did the TWM STS come with something like this? Here's the link to the part that I'm assuming he bought. Not sure if this would fit our cars? https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...z33_p_8296.php

I'm frustrated beyond belief at this point. I've installed STS's before and it was never this much trouble. The rattling is beyond tolerable. Am I going to have to order this shifter socket cup to get it to quiet down?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
You reuse the plastic cup from the OEM shifter. There are little tabs that can't be broken when pounding it out.

Have the confirmed that the bottom through bolt isn't over tightened, or for that matter, anything else?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Furlow

They said they checked everything. I'm going to head over there tomorrow morning with the stock shifter and parts. At 5:56 in the video, the guy talks about the spacers that were provided, and that at first he thought they were supposed to replace the OEM "retaining bracket." Maybe that's it.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You reuse the plastic cup from the OEM shifter.
That's right. Seems this Torque Solutions STS and the TWM STS share a very similar design. It's the B&M STS that comes with its own nylon cup.

Shame about your problems, Furlow. I suspect you're blowing the cost savings having your mechanic dig into this project more than once.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount