Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
I have had many manuals -never had any chick care about it.
I feel the same way. Hard to receive favors with an active clutch pedal
Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
I feel the same way. Hard to receive favors with an active clutch pedal
I just leave it in second gear. Easy enough to stop/start and good for about 65mph
Old 04-28-2016, 12:47 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I just leave it in second gear. Easy enough to stop/start and good for about 65mph
OK, just watch the speed bumps....
Old 04-28-2016, 12:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I hear theft rates are lower for manual cars.....
Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
OK, just watch the speed bumps....
Regardless of transmission
Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM
3POINT8

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Geez these discussions are pointless. Everyone likes what they like regardless of which transmission is superior. I've had manual cars all my life, LOVED it and never EVER thought I would drive a automatic because its "boring". Always bashed on the guys that drove automatics etc

Nowadays, I work a hectic schedule, have kids, and sit in traffic most days. So the automatic serves its purpose. Cant imagine doing all that with a manual. Its fun when I switch it over to DS mode but it'll never match the rawness and pure enjoyment of the third pedal. That's why my weekend/play car is (Cayman S) a manual. For the leisure Sunday drives away from traffic on the twistes.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
There are time when I need to run an errand, and I can't wait to get in my 6MT and drive around. Sometimes I'll take the long way to get wherever I'm going. The 6MT offers more opportunity to be connected to the driving experience in a way you simply can't do with an automatic. I suppose the flappy paddles help, but it's just not the same.

However, there are times when the idea of rumbling around in my car and wrestling it through the gears is tiresome, and I takes the wife's crossover, because it's easy and I don't have to get all involved.

There's no wrong answer. You drive the car you got, and most of us mod that car. I suppose if the car you got really wasn't the car you wanted, well that's on you.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-29-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
There are time when I need to run an errand, and I can't wait to get in my 6MT and drive around. Sometimes I'll take the long way to get wherever I'm going. The 6MT offers more opportunity to be connected to the driving experience in a way you simply do with an automatic. I suppose the flappy paddles help, but it's just not the same.

However, there are times when the idea of rumbling around in my car and wrestling it through the gears is tiresome, and I takes the wife's crossover, because it's easy and I don't have to get all involved.

There's no wrong answer. You drive the car you got, and most of us mod that car. I suppose if the car you got really wasn't the car you wanted, well that's on you.
Agreed ^ Miss rowing the gears sometimes.
Sometimes I really really do not....
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
whoever says these cars handle well..... stock..... please, stop being a your car's fanboy. These cars handle like ****. The brakes and the suspension both... yes i have a g37, but i can also look the truth in the eyes.
I bought the car knowing the grandma soft characteristics of the suspension and the under powered brakes in my 08 Sport. The car however uses the same suspension setup as a 370z and is very capable. I upgraded my suspension and brakes and the car performs excellent. Throwing it into corners blipping the throttle and downshifting can't be matched in an automatic. The car is a great drivers car which is why I bought it.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
The 7AT in our cars is a great AT IMO. I just upgraded mine with a Level 10 bulletproof valve body and Stillen tranny cooler. I run Motul Multi ATF in it. I also have an Ecutek tune. It shifts very quickly, firmly, but still smooth. It downshifts excellent and doesn't gear hunt anymore. It rev matches very well when braking hard. If I put it into DS mode it hold lower gears much longer than before and kicks down a few gears quickly if I brake hard and I do frequently when I can safely because it's fun as all get out!
The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Just gonna add that automatics with audible exhaust sound absolutely ridiculous when shifting. Its like a cross between a 17yr old with his first car he straps a fart can on because that's all he can do and a guy with the tailpipe dragging down the highway. I definitely get the purpose for having an AT and if I had a 2nd weekend sports car maybe I'd consider it ........Nevermind, no I wouldn't.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
Just gonna add that automatics with audible exhaust sound absolutely ridiculous when shifting. Its like a cross between a 17yr old with his first car he straps a fart can on because that's all he can do and a guy with the tailpipe dragging down the highway. I definitely get the purpose for having an AT and if I had a 2nd weekend sports car maybe I'd consider it ........Nevermind, no I wouldn't.
Tell that to gtr owner you nimb
Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
The 7AT in our cars is a great AT IMO. I just upgraded mine with a Level 10 bulletproof valve body and Stillen tranny cooler. I run Motul Multi ATF in it. I also have an Ecutek tune. It shifts very quickly, firmly, but still smooth. It downshifts excellent and doesn't gear hunt anymore. It rev matches very well when braking hard. If I put it into DS mode it hold lower gears much longer than before and kicks down a few gears quickly if I brake hard and I do frequently when I can safely because it's fun as all get out!
I agree 100%! Most of what I've read in many of the comments posted is purely subjective ("more fun than..."), but stated as fact. I almost didn't respond, because topics like this serve as bait traps, and typically divide the community. It's synonymous with religious and political "discussions" - pointless.

Having gone through tuning with EcuTek, I can say that my 7ATXS performs so well that I no longer pine for a MT. Before putting down the 7AT as boring, slow, etc... try one that has been tuned. It may redefine your opinion of fun.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
In the end, for me, it was all about WAF. Last weekend took my son camping for cub scouts. Took our Outback. Would not have been an option if I had to leave my wife with a 6mt for the weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:49 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
damn a lot of butthurt in this thread because of a couple graphs lol

I mean if youre going to state facts at least back it up otherwise just dismiss it as an opinion and carry on lol

Quick Reply: Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6