Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Since when? I thought BMW was actually expanding the 6MT to the M6 Grand Coupe or whatever it is.

I'm not surprised the 7at RWD is quicker than the 6mt. I am surprised the AWD 7at is.
Do your research as you thought wrong.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Why are autos uncommon in non US based regions... ?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Do your research as you thought wrong.
Sorry, I don't pay that close of attention to $100,000 cars. It was just MY 2014 that BMW expanded the 6MT availability. I guess all 5 US buyers already scooped one up and demand is essentially 0 now.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:37 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
whoever says these cars handle well..... stock..... please, stop being a your car's fanboy. These cars handle like ****. The brakes and the suspension both... yes i have a g37, but i can also look the truth in the eyes.
The following users liked this post:
booster (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
whoever says these cars handle well..... stock..... please, stop being a your car's fanboy. These cars handle like ****. The brakes and the suspension both... yes i have a g37, but i can also look the truth in the eyes.
I don't track mine, only driving to work and some spirited driving on the side and it handles what I throw at it perfectly fine. Brakes are ok but I haven't hit a brick wall yet, so.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyG37
Most high performance cars these days are going with automatics because they are more efficient and out perform a clutch pedal and shiftier.
B.S. Most performance cars have either a manual or an automated manual transmission not an automatic.

And automated manual (DCT) transmissions are highly dependent on the computer. For example, the Hyundai DCT shifts terribly because of the computer. Get a crappy program controlling the shifts and it feels terrible.

Other cars with the DCT that do shift well like the Mitsubishi EVO requires more maintenance and makes more noise.

I flat out would not own my car if it had an automatic tranny. I first test drove a Journey model and liked everything about it except the slushbox. Every turn I made, it hesitated because it was in the wrong gear and slow to shift.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgronline:
booster (04-28-2016), IracknBack (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM
AndyG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhh these cars handle better STOCK than probably 80% of the cars on the road if not more. I'm not sure what you have been smoking.. Not to mention this is a thread about transmissions not brakes and suspension
Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I bet you have a base Journey with crappy all season tires, or maybe even a X, right?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:56 PM
AndyG37

Originally Posted by jgronline
B.S. Most performance cars have either a manual or an automated manual transmission not an automatic.

And automated manual (DCT) transmissions are highly dependent on the computer. For example, the Hyundai DCT shifts terribly because of the computer. Get a crappy program controlling the shifts and it feels terrible.

Other cars with the DCT that do shift well like the Mitsubishi EVO requires more maintenance and makes more noise.

I flat out would not own my car if it had an automatic tranny. I first test drove a Journey model and liked everything about it except the slushbox. Every turn I made, it hesitated because it was in the wrong gear and slow to shift.
A computer controlled DCT is an automatic as far as I am concerned. Do some more research the latest and greatest performance cars are mainly autos. My dads Porsche has a DCT and it is smooth as butter.

Manufactures get better CAFE standards out of automatics and less and less people drive manuals. Look at the facts they are going to be phased out whether you like it or not.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AndyG37
A computer controlled DCT is an automatic as far as I am concerned. Do some more research the latest and greatest performance cars are mainly autos. My dads Porsche has a DCT and it is smooth as butter.

Manufactures get better CAFE standards out of automatics and less and less people drive manuals. Look at the facts they are going to be phased out whether you like it or not.
Lol

I love a good AT vs MT thread where the AT guys (which is like 90% of the cars) celebrate the demise of the 6mt and the small minority of drivers who want them.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
6mt are much more fun, I had both now I have my 7 speed auto and hate it. The 7 speed auto has a lot of lag unless your in manual mode and sometimes doesn't even know what gear to go or in a high hear when trying to accelerate when you need to advance. I get scared sometimes when I need to accelerate and the car goes nowhere due to the transmission being in such high gear and I'm on DS Mode. I've had the three updates and is still occurring. The 7 speed can be fast as well when it wants too. If I had time to wait I would of waited for a manual sedan but due to the availability had to settle with the automatic. Just my opinion on both. The 6 speed was great and fun, only thing I didn't like about it was the clutch engagement but it was thrill to drive.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Lol who are you and what do you really drive? When my Sport Coupe was stock I out handled Vette's, M3's, and an NSX at the track. The only real competition I had was a full race Miata and an SLK AMG. Even then they never lost me. Now I have camber arms and stiffer springs, I would challenge almost anything in the turns.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM
AndyG37

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Lol

I love a good AT vs MT thread where the AT guys (which is like 90% of the cars) celebrate the demise of the 6mt and the small minority of drivers who want them.
Laugh all you want.

I am not choosing a side. 30 years ago MT were superior to AT no questions asked. Now days there not even in the same category.

This isnt about preference its facts that manual transmissions ARE being phased out whether you like it or not.. MT might be fun and all but ill be the one laughing when were stuck in traffic and you guys have your hands full
Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
If I had a MT I would argue fun and better connection with the car and real men drive standard. AT owners will argue speed, no third pedal in traffic, all the best performance cars have an auto, MT is dying breed. I have argued both sides ....but in the end performance is the most important. Of course all the sedans in the 1/4 mile seam to be faster, so I guess the AT sedan is the best performer. However, the coupe looks better...so its a never ending argument. With all of us defending our purchase... no winner? Or maybe ..were all winners ?..lets face it for the price/cost, performance, looks, interior, reliability. ...nothing beats a G.
The following 2 users liked this post by G37sGraphite:
AndyG37 (04-27-2016), VQpoppa (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
what i have > yours

Quick Reply: Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6