G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I'd try to eliminate the Y-Pipe completely and just the X pipe welded in. I think the biggest restriction on the Invidia is the mufflers and pipe diameter.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, ZahyMatar!

Thus saving the Y-pipe to sell (Am I correct in assuming it cannot be returned minus restock fee if it is discolored from a few days of use?)

I would like to have a shop do the work OFF the car. To facilitate this, I was considering making a jig from a large 3/4" plywood board with two 2x4's or 2x6's bolted down where the flanges are, and bolting the flanges to this jig, so the shop can make something with good fitment, without needing the car. I'll do the install.

The Kinetix HFC spec sheet says 2 1/8" outlet (what's the outlet size of the Berk, Stillen, or other well-reputed HFC?) from there, whether I eliminate the Megan Y or not, it would be 2 1/2" diameter back, including the Manzo mufflers, I am asssuming...

If it sounds viscerally pleasing enough, I may sell the brand new Q300. (Why is it so much quieter than my son's Q300 on his '10... mine has resonators... I don't recall resonators on his, but I had his system drop shipped to my mechanic who did the install.)

PS: Depending on how much accustom muffler shop wants for 2 1/2" stainless stock, I may tell them to use the Megan Y pipe.

Thanks for listening; and, especially for advising!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FrankRoshi
Thus saving the Y-pipe to sell (Am I correct in assuming it cannot be returned minus restock fee if it is discolored from a few days of use?)

I would like to have a shop do the work OFF the car. To facilitate this, I was considering making a jig from a large 3/4" plywood board with two 2x4's or 2x6's bolted down where the flanges are, and bolting the flanges to this jig, so the shop can make something with good fitment, without needing the car. I'll do the install.

The Kinetix HFC spec sheet says 2 1/8" outlet (what's the outlet size of the Berk, Stillen, or other well-reputed HFC?) from there, whether I eliminate the Megan Y or not, it would be 2 1/2" diameter back, including the Manzo mufflers, I am asssuming...

If it sounds viscerally pleasing enough, I may sell the brand new Q300. (Why is it so much quieter than my son's Q300 on his '10... mine has resonators... I don't recall resonators on his, but I had his system drop shipped to my mechanic who did the install.)

PS: Depending on how much accustom muffler shop wants for 2 1/2" stainless stock, I may tell them to use the Megan Y pipe.

Thanks for listening; and, especially for advising!
Berk HFC are 2.5in, same for Z1 along with Fast Intentions (optional).

I'd just be sure to get an exhaust reducer welded in so there's no sudden change in exhaust piping diameter, it's gradual and will reduce rasp. and then stick with the 2 1/8 piping for the rest of the exhaust. I'd recommend using the Megan Y-pipe as SS stock. Stainless steel and mandrel bent, I see no problem with it.

Now, I have some questions myself. I'll probably be going the Fast Intentions route for my G37 sedan and pairing it up with my Berk HFC. I'm set on the 2.5in piping so far but I don't know whether to do 18" resonators with the round (coupe) mufflers, or 12in resonators with the oval(sedan) mufflers?

Or even 12in resonators with the round mufflers. I want a deep, throaty sound... that crackles
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

So I talked to Kevin from Fast Intnentions today regarding what exhaust setup I should pair with the Berk HFC on my sedan. He told me 2.5" piping, 18" resonators (to minimize cabin drone and rasp) and the mufflers off of the coupe to give me a deep rumble. I should be placing my order very soon, I'm super excited.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Wow! Can I talk to Kevin?

I want to know what he says my FrankenMegaNvidiaManzo will sound like... and if my Q300 sounds so quiet on my G because I've got Megan headers and Kinetix HFC's in front of it....

Here's Hoping,

Frank
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I want to know what he says my FrankenMegaNvidiaManzo will sound like... and if my Q300 sounds so quiet on my G because I've got Megan headers and Kinetix HFC's in front of it....

Here's Hoping,

Frank
Well I called them because I will be ordering one of their exhaust systems.
If you use a resonated x-pipe, you should sound similar to this:

Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds really good for having 5 resonators.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Sounds good
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM
G-shock12

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New axleback setup

I had a muffler delete for the last 8months. It was quiet on the highway but a little too loud for city driving. It resonated and rattled the interier around 3k rpms and had a good ammount of drone between 40-50mph

the new setup is vibrant ultra quiet resonators as mufflers with staggered quad tips at a slight angle.

might not be everyones taste, but i think it looks pretty mean.

As for the sound, definitely a bit quieter and a much deeper tone, with a little drone around 65mph.

ill try to get a sound clip soon
Old 01-29-2017, 06:35 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

MegaNVidiaManzostrosity Custom System

Here's and update on my strategy to salve the wound of building a horrible sounding custom exhaust...

Previously: I had Megan headers and Kinetix HFC's installed; then, bought and installed Megan Y-pipe and a Manzo Yback exhaust. It sounded embarrassing... kind of like a jet ski. I had the Megan pipe and Manzo exhaust long enough to yellow the steel. Didn't want to return or sell. Have an Nvidia Q300 x-pipe from the system I had put on my 2010 G37... mechanic installed system, called and said, "Got it installed, but there's a problem... it's LOUD... the x-pipe's flange was only tacked on on one end..." I drove it for a few days until Nvidia sent a finished x-pipe, leaving me an unfinished one. Perfect to modify the crappy sounding custom exhaust fail...

I created a jig to mount the exhaust parts to, so as to allow the custom exhaust shop to splice the Nvidia X-pipe in, maintaining fitment. See pictures:

It should breathe well, and perhaps sound sexy and unique...

Frank
Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by G-shock12

I had a muffler delete for the last 8months. It was quiet on the highway but a little too loud for city driving. It resonated and rattled the interier around 3k rpms and had a good ammount of drone between 40-50mph

the new setup is vibrant ultra quiet resonators as mufflers with staggered quad tips at a slight angle.

might not be everyones taste, but i think it looks pretty mean.

As for the sound, definitely a bit quieter and a much deeper tone, with a little drone around 65mph.

ill try to get a sound clip soon
Very unique . Would love a sound clip for sure.

Here's and update on my strategy to salve the wound of building a horrible sounding custom exhaust...

Previously: I had Megan headers and Kinetix HFC's installed; then, bought and installed Megan Y-pipe and a Manzo Yback exhaust. It sounded embarrassing... kind of like a jet ski. I had the Megan pipe and Manzo exhaust long enough to yellow the steel. Didn't want to return or sell. Have an Nvidia Q300 x-pipe from the system I had put on my 2010 G37... mechanic installed system, called and said, "Got it installed, but there's a problem... it's LOUD... the x-pipe's flange was only tacked on on one end..." I drove it for a few days until Nvidia sent a finished x-pipe, leaving me an unfinished one. Perfect to modify the crappy sounding custom exhaust fail...

I created a jig to mount the exhaust parts to, so as to allow the custom exhaust shop to splice the Nvidia X-pipe in, maintaining fitment. See pictures:

Frank
Can't wait to see the final product. Love the jig too.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Frank
That's a neat idea! I'm also excited to see how this setup will sound! Best of luck
Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Melophile

That sounds great. I am going to guess, stock cats on this one? 2.5'' with some sort of X /Resonated X pipe ?

I wanted to go the custom route, but was too afraid of the results with a test pipe.

edit: I stand corrected, melophile has ART pipes. Spill the beans on the rest of your setup!

Last edited by MaQG37; 01-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Melophile
That looks great! Can you post more pictures of the exhaust tip cutouts for the quad tips? I've been wanting to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread