Yea I'm out

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
A 7+ year old Australian G8 from a defunct car company

If you have a $15,000 budget (or there about) a couple year old Accord or Mazda 6 with low mileage would be a far more reliable and practical choice.
Well the idea was that he was getting something a bit older, is reliable, even if the company flopped, and has a ton of potential in handiling, looks and power. It really is a great car that has held up well though the years. I'm not an American car fan by any means but you have to respect the car, not the company.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by booster
Modding 335 is expensive? $2K and you have 400WHP...$5-6K and you have 600WHP.
In terms of reliability, there are three things, HPFP, injectors, and turbo wastegate. The first two can be replaced in a garage, the turbos replacement is a much larger job, but at this point you'd be upgrading to larger ones.
I've also been looking at ditching my G37, I have some serious buyers remorse. I find it boring...
I've been looking at E60 535i m sport....just have not taken the plunge yet.

Yes we all like to work on our cars but not everyone has the tools, space or know how to replace parts like these. Let's go over the potential cost of only the 3 that you brought up because they are the most prevalent, but not exclusive to the 335i....

HPFP otherwise known as High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Parts $300-$400
Labor 2 hours
BMW has known to charge roughly $1,000 for this replacement after all fees

Injectors.... seems simple enough right? Not in a BMW.
I've seen replacement pricing going from $900 - $1,800.

New turbos........ do we even need to break down the pricing?

So on top of the cost of the actual car, and if you only deal with these 3 issues solely you're still looking at a nutshell of anywhere in the ballpark of $3k and $6k sitting over your head like an ominous cloud 24/7. That doesn't sit well with me personally but to each their own.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonslayer
If you're going Euro, Audi or Bmw, I say leave it stock because modding will cause issues. I loved the B7 A4 I owned but modding did cause some issues for me. It was fine when when I just got the APR tune, but when I went +1 thats when things started arising. I had a specialized VW Audi shop go through and correct all my issues. Got new injectors, DV, turbo back, tune then it was pretty reliable. That was about a $4k bill I think. Don't recall exactly because its been about a decade.
Agreed if you think the G is a headache ...German technology is worse, I had a 2011 BMW M3 unreliable..and $$$ Audi is same thing.....Example, the M3 S65 engine had problems with the connecting rod bearing clearance issues. Thats all we did on that forum worry about our engines blowing up, blackstone lab reports, etc. The engine itself to replace costs 25k. That is seriously why I left...Seriously relative to the others...the G is one of the most reliable cars that I could find that is performance based thats why I am here.

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 03-10-2016 at 07:51 AM.
RavensMinded00 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Thanx Blnewt, Will do. The audi V8 is NA 4.2, Twin T G WAY outside the price range, LOL by like 80k!

If I do not find a car today I will be removing the headers next week(14th) still trying to think about if the if the 600$ or so i'll cost me is worth it. I did have ZERO issues before the headers and motor mounts :/ IDK
Old 03-10-2016, 09:07 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Thanx Blnewt, Will do. The audi V8 is NA 4.2, Twin T G WAY outside the price range, LOL by like 80k!

If I do not find a car today I will be removing the headers next week(14th) still trying to think about if the if the 600$ or so i'll cost me is worth it. I did have ZERO issues before the headers and motor mounts :/ IDK
I don't even think the headers were worth it in my opinion, especially for the minimal gains you get from them. Too much money and effort what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZahyMatar:
ANMVQ (03-10-2016), Lego_Maniac (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:53 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
we'll dang dude.. and i was just thinking about you the other day hoping everything would work out.

all the best in your future decisions..
ANMVQ (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:57 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I don't even think the headers were worth it in my opinion, especially for the minimal gains you get from them. Too much money and effort what it is.
what do you consider minimal gains?
i picked up 16whp with my headers.. cost is about the same price as a cat back
MaQG37 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Agreed..after modifying way too many cars I agree that unless the modification is easily reversible it's really not worth it. Usually it produces fairly minimal gains and a lot of extra trouble and $$$$$. Its a ton of fun....but in reality if you're not tracking the car adding the extra horsepower really aint worth it.
Lego_Maniac (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
what do you consider minimal gains?
i picked up 16whp with my headers.. cost is about the same price as a cat back
The part itself may be relatively affordable... The installation for headers is pricey. Not worth it, but that's just me.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Headers aren't a bad mod IMO. I a have the Stillen headers and zero issue. For the money it's a much better performance mod than a CBE and it does change the tone of the exhaust in a good way.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:39 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Those of you that have headers please answer this.

If you installed it yourself how many hours did it take?

If you paid a shop, how much did they charge?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
$500. shop installed. I let them take their time though, they had my car for 3 days. Likely $600-800 is typical though.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 AM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Yes we all like to work on our cars but not everyone has the tools, space or know how to replace parts like these. Let's go over the potential cost of only the 3 that you brought up because they are the most prevalent, but not exclusive to the 335i....

HPFP otherwise known as High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Parts $300-$400
Labor 2 hours
BMW has known to charge roughly $1,000 for this replacement after all fees

Injectors.... seems simple enough right? Not in a BMW.
I've seen replacement pricing going from $900 - $1,800.

New turbos........ do we even need to break down the pricing?

So on top of the cost of the actual car, and if you only deal with these 3 issues solely you're still looking at a nutshell of anywhere in the ballpark of $3k and $6k sitting over your head like an ominous cloud 24/7. That doesn't sit well with me personally but to each their own.
I think you are missing the point here.
Off warranty BMW is a car for an automotive enthusiast, who's capable of performing most of the work. It's not for someone who's going to take it to a shop/dealer to get things fixed. In return, you get a luxury car that handles best in its class, which can put down serious power, with minimal mods. You also need financial stability to be able to maintain it.
Everyone has different priorities. I've realized that I'd rather have an unreliable car that I love driving and tinkering with than a reliable one that gives me no joy driving. I had a modded European car that was getting fixed almost every other month, but I loved driving it. I got the G37 in its place for reliability, and now wish I kept the other car instead.
It's just my preference...that's all.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by booster
I think you are missing the point here.
Off warranty BMW is a car for an automotive enthusiast, who's capable of performing most of the work. It's not for someone who's going to take it to a shop/dealer to get things fixed. In return, you get a luxury car that handles best in its class, which can put down serious power, with minimal mods. You also need financial stability to be able to maintain it.
Everyone has different priorities. I've realized that I'd rather have an unreliable car that I love driving and tinkering with than a reliable one that gives me no joy driving. I had a modded European car that was getting fixed almost every other month, but I loved driving it. I got the G37 in its place for reliability, and now wish I kept the other car instead.
It's just my preference...that's all.
Are you sure you didn't get a G25? Maybe you had an older BMW when they weren't so sterile and comfort focused and were more sporty? Either way the G37 is an extremely fun car to drive and that's coming from someone w/ a stock car. Im sure it'll be even better w/ performance mods. And unless you have your own shop and tools youll need to take BMWs in for maintenance and such which is extremely pricey as stated.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
695 took him 4 hours..

Originally Posted by qmantran
Those of you that have headers please answer this.

If you installed it yourself how many hours did it take?

If you paid a shop, how much did they charge?