Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
It's definitely the exhaust that hits first... I scrape, but only on pretty gnarly driveways or those super aggressive speed bumps.
Also, I do hit pretty hard on big expansion joints on the freeway. I'm guessing the shocks are bottoming out and hitting the bump stops, because it's very harsh. I feel like I bent a wheel every time it happens
None of that happens to me. None if it. And all it takes to avoid that crap is to raise your car 1/2".

Old 12-29-2015, 04:28 PM
allen88909
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
when you max out the height on Tein Basis, how much drop are there comparing to stock?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by allen88909
when you max out the height on Tein Basis, how much drop are there comparing to stock?
Considering that (I think) I'm maxed out for height, and referring to some measurements taken by lowbuzz311 back in June at stock height for his 6MT, and comparing rear height only...

...that would be 1.10"

Let's just round that to a 1" drop over OEM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rochester
None of that happens to me. None if it. And all it takes to avoid that crap is to raise your car 1/2".

Come back & chat once you put on the front coils. It's not the rears that are crashing...

And the freeways around me have some gnarly "bumps" in between sections of road, especially where asphalt and concrete meet and form a 2 inch or so lip.

As far as the exhaust scraping... It rarely happens. It is what it is. Everything gets taken at a 45 degree angle. No big deal.

Last edited by lobuzz311; 12-29-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Come back & chat once you put on the front coils. It's not the rears that are crashing...
Well now, that's an interesting take on this situation. I hadn't thought of that.

Anybody else here with Tein Basis experiencing the same thing as lobuzz311?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:02 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The EDFC that is available on the more "track ready" Tein coilovers is useless on the street. I had two of their other coilovers with dampening adjustment and it basically varied from "tooth rattling" to "spine crushing" on the street. Great set ups for the track, but forget it for a daily driver.
I'd differ as I have the EDFC with the SS-P setup and it perfect for street and doesn't feel track worthy at all. On longer highway cruises, I go full soft. For DD I have it set to mid stiffness and when I'm feeling like having fun I go full stiff. Since having it for about a year, I don't think I could go to a setup with electronic dampening. The rear adjustments in our cars is a joke to try and dial in at the moment we want it.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Well now, that's an interesting take on this situation. I hadn't thought of that.

The front of the car carries a lot of weight and takes the brunt of the impact. Also to note, this only happens on sudden rises (like roadway section being suddenly 1-3 inches higher) and not on dips (like potholes). I guess it's just too much compression too quickly, so it bottoms out. I tested it this morning, and being in a different lane, where the transition isn't quite as severe doesn't cause it to hit so hard... So there is a point where it's too much. Also, keep in mind that I'm usually doing 80 on the fwy, so there's that.
/notanengineer

Edit*
But to your point, yes adding a 1/2 inch of suspension travel would help a lot. I'm not going to do that, because it looks perfect IMO. Also, the number of times I had to adjust the coils to get it even all around makes me want to never touch them again, all else be damned.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

But to your point, yes adding a 1/2 inch of suspension travel would help a lot. I'm not going to do that, because it looks perfect IMO. Also, the number of times I had to adjust the coils to get it even all around makes me want to never touch them again, all else be damned.
I'd be lying if I said it never crossed my mind to keep my setup as is, and never actually install the front CO's. Comments like yours get chalked up in the "leave it" column.

I'm loosely planning on Spring 2017 to replace all the end-links with aftermarket, as well as aftermarket front camber arms. Whether or not I have the Tein CO's installed in the front at that time... too early to say. It's still a long way out. But unless something breaks, I'm planning on continuing all through 2016 with this hybrid setup.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I never bottom out on the road, but totally on bad driveways and sharp(or really long) speedbumps. And it's always the Y pipe, when I changed my OEM one out this summer you could see it took a beating from that.

Also when i was at 26" I used to sometimes smack the front subframe on speedbumps.. that was by far the worst part about being really low.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

Agreed. I have mine set at Tein's factory settings for the G37 and have yet to scrape the exhaust. Maybe the fact I have the Stillen cat back helps? I only scraped the front bumper once and it was on a really bad driveway I took too fast dead on.

Nope, not at all.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-31-2015)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 AM
allen88909
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what do you guys think about the ride quality?
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by allen88909
what do you guys think about the ride quality?
They are by far the smoothest coilovers I have ever had and I have had a lot of different brands on many cars over the years. They ride basically the same as the stock S suspension 95% of the time. The only roads I notice any difference on are newer roads that the seams are not right and the pavement is wavy. It will feel bouncy in any car on these roads and a bit bouncier with the Tein Basis.

If you have had coilovers before and know how awful most of them are on the street, you will be impressed with how smooth these ride. If you have only owned Buick and Lexus cars in the past, they will feel rough.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Like said above of course they are rough compared to comfort luxury brands, but if you're going for that you shouldn't be modifying suspension. I am very satisfied with the ride quality and performance benefits for a daily driver. Never had anybody complain about it.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

+1 to the previous 2 comments. Ride really nice and feel very sporty at the same time.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I had the OEM sport shocks and OEM springs.
Then OEM sport shocks and Swift springs.
Then Tein Basis coilover components in the rear-only.

All three setups feel very similar, with incremental but worthy handling improvements after each change. So, the comparison to OEM in the RWD Sport seems about right to me.

Quick Reply: Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?