G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mike found new exhaust tips, and quads it is!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Mike, my vote is obviously for quad tips!!

Name:  429f3da8-e35e-47dc-8cd9-266458177444_zpszwg1or4f.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  477.0 KB

My wife "forced" me to get rid of my big Tanabe tips because she was tired of constantly scraping them on steeper driveway departures, so when I decided to redo the rear end of my car the obvious answer was to go with quad tips. Now not only do I have a fairly unique look, but I also have way more ground clearance in the back, so no more scraping (= happy wife)!

I ended up going with dual 3" tips (with 2.5" inlet) from RedTail Performance, part #RTP-037LR. These a dual wall, angled cut, with stagger fitment that seems to match the angle of our rear bumper almost perfectly. I wouldn't go with the straight cut, non staggered fitment, as the outer tip on either side will stick out from the bumper/diffuser while the inner tip on either side will sit nice and flush.

Exhaust Muffler Tip Dual Round Forward Slash Cut Rolled Edge 2.25" Inlet / ID, 3" Outlet / OD, 9.5" Length. 6.25" Outer Width #RTP-037LR
Old 11-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Mike, my vote is obviously for quad tips!!

My wife "forced" me to get rid of my bid Tanabe tips because she was tired of constantly scraping them on steeper driveway departures, so when I decided to redo the rear end of my car the obvious answer was to go with quad tips. Now not only do I have a fairly unique look, but I also have way more ground clearance in the back, so no more scraping (= happy wife)!

I ended up going with dual 3" tips (with 2.5" inlet) from RedTail Performance, part #RTP-037LR. These a dual wall, angled cut, with stagger fitment that seems to match the angle of our rear bumper almost perfectly. I wouldn't go with the straight cut, non staggered fitment, as the outer tip on either side will stick out from the bumper/diffuser while the inner tip on either side will sit nice and flush.

Exhaust Muffler Tip Dual Round Forward Slash Cut Rolled Edge 2.25" Inlet / ID, 3" Outlet / OD, 9.5" Length. 6.25" Outer Width #RTP-037LR

Haven't even considered the stagger fitment ones at all because I wasn't sure how it would look/fit but this advice from you is very helpful and I think I may as well be getting the same ones!! One thing that's giving me a headache is whether they will be able to make the opening bigger in my CS diffuser for the quad tips since it's CF laid over fiberglass

Do you have any more pictures straight on of the rear and some closer shots of the tips on an angle?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
^^^
There's your solution, Mike, right there. Same rear end, too, so he knows. It would be great to see some detailed, close-up shots of those tips installed.

It's been my opinion of late that 2GoRNot2G gives good, experienced advice. Glad he found this thread.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Yes unfortunately I had to measure them in metric and then converted that into standard.

BUT

I found these, double wall, straight cut beveled tips AND they're cheap, they're 2.5" inlet and 3" outlet but I'm still a little on the fence about 3" but definitely more appropriate than 3.5"

I think these might have been posted before or I just have looked at them before on ebay.

I'll give it a try searching for 60mm inlet then, Thank you

EDIT: I came up with nothing when searched for 60mm ones.. Only some overseas crappy tips nothing worth looking at.

My Tanabe piping is also 60mm (2-3/8") and I spent weeks looking for a nice set of quad tips with 2-3/8" inlets and 3" outlets, but couldn't really come up with anything. I ended up going with 2.5" inlets and 3" outlets and the exhaust shop was able to make them work. The tip needs to be large enough to slide over the muffler outlet anyway and if necessary they can always use a flare took and enlarge the outlet pipe on your muffler a bit for a proper fitment. Here are the tips I ended up going with. They were around $120 for the pair if I recall correctly and I had them on my doorstep about 2 days after ordering!

Name:  RTP_037LR__50733_1361496515_400_400_zpsqrllfqhs.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  RTP_037R__12385_1361496169_400_400_zpsle8ao2i6.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  19.5 KB
Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
There's your solution, Mike, right there. Same rear end, too, so he knows.

It's been my opinion of late that 2GoRNot2G gives good, experienced advice.
Yes same rear end except that he's got accessevolution diffuser with already bigger exhaust cutout perfect for quad tips but from the looks of it both seem to look the same.

He indeed certainly does give good advice especially since it's from his personal experience
Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Mik3G37S

My Tanabe piping is also 60mm (2-3/8") and I spent weeks looking for a nice set of quad tips with 2-3/8" inlets and 3" outlets, but couldn't really come up with anything. I ended up going with 2.5" inlets and 3" outlets and the exhaust shop was able to make them work. The tip needs to be large enough to slide over the muffler outlet anyway and if necessary they can always use a flare took and enlarge the outlet pipe on your muffler a bit for a proper fitment. Here are the tips I ended up going with. They were around $120 for the pair if I recall correctly and I had them on my doorstep about 2 days after ordering!

Awesome!!! I couldn't find anything 60mm(2 and 3/8") inlet either. And figured the first bigger size 2.5" inlet would do and could always be welded over or something just simply made to work.

As soon as I get in touch with the shop if they can do the cutout bigger for me.. I hope they can make it work
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Haven't even considered the stagger fitment ones at all because I wasn't sure how it would look/fit but this advice from you is very helpful and I think I may as well be getting the same ones!! One thing that's giving me a headache is whether they will be able to make the opening bigger in my CS diffuser for the quad tips since it's CF laid over fiberglass

Do you have any more pictures straight on of the rear and some closer shots of the tips on an angle?

I originally talked to Carbon Signal regarding their rear diffuser and they were going to custom make me one set up for Quad tips, but it was going to be a long lead-time and I ended up getting a good deal on this Access Evolution piece from Bulletproof Auto (who is local to me), so I decided to go with the Access Evolution for the rear diffuser. Even the Access Evolution unit needed to be cut to fit the quad tips. I took MANY measurements (and them re-measured) before I ordered and the tips to make sure I have enough space for them. The tips are ~6.25" from edge to edge, so you'll basically need an opening with about 6.5" - 7" of width for the tips to fit and to allow enough clearance for some exhaust movement. I'm not sure what kind of space the CS diffuser has between the air fins, but try taking a couple of measurements... you'll also want to make sure you exhaust tips are close to being centered in the area where the opening will be made, otherwise the exhaust shop will have to modify more piping and/or mounting than just switching tips.

Here are a few more pics of my set-up. Hope this helps you decide.

Name:  IMG_4036_zpsaikmybtf.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  174.0 KB
Name:  IMG_4043_zpsp6yfwmsv.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  177.8 KB
Name:  ea08585d-d820-41b5-9ffb-7c4e2f788586_zpsgtls9sh3.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  485.6 KB
Name:  217c26d2-c252-4277-a08d-0fa982be618c_zpsfmplc5yy.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  567.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Mik3G37S

I originally talked to Carbon Signal regarding their rear diffuser and they were going to custom make me one set up for Quad tips, but it was going to be a long lead-time and I ended up getting a good deal on this Access Evolution piece from Bulletproof Auto (who is local to me), so I decided to go with the Access Evolution for the rear diffuser. Even the Access Evolution unit needed to be cut to fit the quad tips. I took MANY measurements (and them re-measured) before I ordered and the tips to make sure I have enough space for them. The tips are ~6.25" from edge to edge, so you'll basically need an opening with about 6.5" - 7" of width for the tips to fit and to allow enough clearance for some exhaust movement. I'm not sure what kind of space the CS diffuser has between the air fins, but try taking a couple of measurements... you'll also want to make sure you exhaust tips are close to being centered in the area where the opening will be made, otherwise the exhaust shop will have to modify more piping and/or mounting than just switching tips.

Here are a few more pics of my set-up. Hope this helps you decide.

Awesome awesome awesome!!! You're really a lot of help, thank you so much for all the information regarding this, I'll definitely have to take measurements and follow all of your advice, I'll also send you a PM which is important before I contact the shop
Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

^^^
There's your solution, Mike, right there. Same rear end, too, so he knows. It would be great to see some detailed, close-up shots of those tips installed.

It's been my opinion of late that 2GoRNot2G gives good, experienced advice. Glad he found this thread.

Thanks, John... Much appreciate. I saw Mike's request for pics over on the chat thread last week, but have been busy with work. I own my own company and sometimes things get a little hectic and I just don't have the time to be on here enough (hence the reason I still haven't started a build thread). That, plus the fact that I'm also an avid enthusiast on the Porsche and Jeep forums too, so all these "toys" tie up most of my free time. Thankfully Mike PM'ed me requesting I offer my comments/suggestions, so that was a nice reminder to get back on here and post up!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Awesome awesome awesome!!! You're really a lot of help, thank you so much for all the information regarding this, I'll definitely have to take measurements and follow all of your advice, I'll also send you a PM which is important before I contact the shop

No problem. Glad to help. I'm just sorry I don't have a good pic of the rear end straight on, but if you PM me with your e-mail address I can try to e-mail you a pic when I get home later tonight... unfortunately I didn't drive the G today.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Zoomed in and adjusted for shadow so you can get a different perspective on them.

Pixilated because of it, but helps nonetheless.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Mik3G37S

Zoomed in and adjusted for shadow so you can get a different perspective on them.

Pixilated because of it, but helps nonetheless.

Thank You John! The first picture I have zoomed in myself in my phones gallery because I asked Adrian to text me but the second one definitely shows them better after you did the adjustments! Thank you! I'll probably be ordering the tips tonight, still need to get in touch with the shop because I haven't had the time yet.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

No problem. Figured it would help put your mind at ease about the cut-out, the staggered length, and the slash cut.

These are going to look spectacular on your car.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Mik3G37S

No problem. Figured it would help put your mind at ease about the cut-out, the staggered length, and the slash cut.

These are going to look spectacular on your car.
Yes sir it did put my minf at ease! Haven't even considered staggered length ones because I thought it'd look odd, but I guess I was wrong!

Thank you sir, I hope so too!! And can't wait to get that done. Unfortunately I've just got back from work and I didn't make it to the shop before they closed so I'm out of luck, maybe I'll make it there tomorrow I hope.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well that seemed to work out well, and this look is definitely something to aspire to, love that G!

Name:  IMG_4036_zpsaikmybtf.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  174.0 KB

So is it time to rename the thread??
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (11-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Mike found new exhaust tips, and quads it is!