G37 Sedan

Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Still less obvious on your car, but now I can't unsee it.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
It's one of those things I can live with, but noticeable enough that I think about fixing it when I see it. It's on the list. Where there's a will there's a way...
Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I bring you success. Alignment is slightly off left to right (one side in slightly more than the other) but other than that I'm happy. I ended slotting the center hole an 1/8" in width about 1/16" upward and shoving in an M7 bolt under my M6. I apologize for no picture of that but I had my fill by the time I completed this. With the M7 bolt acting as a shim for the bolt above it closed the gap.
Attached Thumbnails Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod-wp_20151115_010.jpg   Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod-wp_20151115_011.jpg   Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod-wp_20151115_012.jpg  

Last edited by empirepb48; 11-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by empirepb48:
bigc (11-15-2015), Scarab Armor (11-14-2017)
Old 11-15-2015, 03:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by empirepb48
I bring you success. Alignment is slightly off left to right (one side in slightly more than the other) but other than that I'm happy. I ended slotting the center hole an 1/8" in width about 1/16" upward and shoving in an M7 bolt under my M6. I apologize for no picture of that but I had my fill by the time I completed this. With the M7 bolt acting as a shim for the bolt above it closed the gap.
Much better, nice ingenuity
Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM
empirepb48

Parts list total:

$170 cmod grille
$100 for primer, base and clear
$70 diamond mesh material
$18 for mt fuji (used off ebay)
$12 for misc stainless bolts, nuts and washers
We won't get into my labor costs haha
Total: $370

Added bonus of extra air getting to the radiator and stock intakes at the cost of more debris filling up my cooling fins. Also made the infiniti emblem removable in case my rear timing cover gaskets let go.

Last edited by empirepb48; 11-15-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Beautiful!

Very well done. Looks 100%.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Looks great.

And yes, a shim is what is need to keep that top edge in place, care to explain further? You just made the mounting hole larger and jammed a bolt underneath the screw? I tried doing similar but couldn't figure a way to keep the "shim" in place/
Old 11-15-2015, 07:20 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Looks great.

And yes, a shim is what is need to keep that top edge in place, care to explain further? You just made the mounting hole larger and jammed a bolt underneath the screw? I tried doing similar but couldn't figure a way to keep the "shim" in place/
This view is facing away from the radiator out toward the direction the headlights would point. Bottom nut has loctite to keep everything place

EDIT: The fit is tight I got it just enough so that bottom screw just barely gets in there once I lift up the top screw. The top screw is shorter which allows the bottom screw's nut to back all the way up overtop of the top screw nut. The top screw is coming through from the set screw of the grille and the bottom has to squeeze in between the back of the grille and the hole it comes through.
Attached Thumbnails Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod-picture.jpg  

Last edited by empirepb48; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by empirepb48:
jroyalty7 (11-15-2015), STownSaint (11-16-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by Rochester
Beautiful!

Very well done. Looks 100%.
Originally Posted by blnewt
Much better, nice ingenuity
Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM
empirepb48

Opened it back up just to check on how things were settling after driving for two days. So my realization of what NOT to do here is do not put loctite on the bottom nut as there is nothing the bolt is locked down to So just use the the bottom bolt as a shim without a nut just loctite the top one.
Attached Thumbnails Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod-wp_20151117_005.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:48 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

^planning to go to the hardware store this wkend.

Can't thank you enough for the pics.

So you ditched the screws that came with the grille, and went with those bolts? Are the bolts glued into the grille? Then you tightened the nuts to fasten the grille to the front bumper?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM
empirepb48

^planning to go to the hardware store this wkend.

Can't thank you enough for the pics.

So you ditched the screws that came with the grille, and went with those bolts? Are the bolts glued into the grille? Then you tightened the nuts to fasten the grille to the front bumper?
I didn't get any screws from them. I just received the grille in a box from Hong Kong. No there is no gluing at all. The screw I used has a phillips head back to it which is on the inside of the grille (or facing the direction of the headlights) and it's threaded through the set screw which is the thread you see pointing out on the top screw in the last picture. It has to be short enough to fit in the space on the inside of the grille but long enough to get some thread on the nut on the other side. It's a tight fit.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Soooooo gave it another shot by using different hardware to change how the grille was fastened to the bumper.

Basically, I initially just screwed the grille to the bumper from the back (screw head facing back of the car, so screw itself was pointing toward the front of the car).

Now, I changed it by getting a bolt pushed through the grille (bolt head facing toward front of the car, bolt tip facing toward rear of the car), and the nut is fastened on the inside of the grille.

Tried to illustrate in the (very) rough sketch below, before on top, after on bottom.

Problem is, that gap is still there, because I could not figure out how to cram another bolt ("Shim") underneath the bolt that mounts to the grille, without also interfering with the flushness of the grill to the front bumper (if that makes sense).

Any ideas empire? Next step is paying for your roundtrip and accommodations ... lots to see in DC

Old 11-29-2015, 05:40 PM
empirepb48

Soooooo gave it another shot by using different hardware to change how the grille was fastened to the bumper.

Basically, I initially just screwed the grille to the bumper from the back (screw head facing back of the car, so screw itself was pointing toward the front of the car).

Now, I changed it by getting a bolt pushed through the grille (bolt head facing toward front of the car, bolt tip facing toward rear of the car), and the nut is fastened on the inside of the grille.

Tried to illustrate in the (very) rough sketch below, before on top, after on bottom.

Problem is, that gap is still there, because I could not figure out how to cram another bolt ("Shim") underneath the bolt that mounts to the grille, without also interfering with the flushness of the grill to the front bumper (if that makes sense).

Any ideas empire? Next step is paying for your roundtrip and accommodations ... lots to see in DC
Sounds like you have it pretty close. So when you say flushness, you're describing how far the grille sits inside the cutout of the bumper if I understood you correctly. I would imagine that position would be dependent on how tight you pull the nut into the screw. I didn't use a washer on that screw which may be your culprit as it would interfere with the shim screw.

Like I said it's a very tight fit between the two screws. As the points of the nut rotate onto the mount screw I had to keep that screw up into that slot I made in order to clear the shim screw. After I let go the nut would rest on top of the shim screw. Take a picture next time you're in there. I wouldn't mind coming down one weekend if you need help. I'm in the Philadelphia area so I'm not too far away.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Ok thanks, will take another look and try to fit another bolt underneath the main one holding the grille on. Will try to snap a pic too.

And by all means, if you're in the area, your services would be worth a Big Mac and a small soda, at least

Quick Reply: Cmod Grille / Following STownSaint's mod