Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37X Another bearing failure.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:59 PM
fuzzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37X Another bearing failure.

Hello,

I have a 2009 g37x which i bought in December with about 60,000 km. In June of this year, I noticed a humming and a vibration in the steering wheel, and it had it checked out. Ended up being the front passenger wheel bearing. At the time I thought it was a bit odd, but hey things happen. Yesterday the noise and vibration came back. (approx 70,000 km) I took it to the dealership this morning, and they are reporting it is the front driver side bearing. Fortunately, my powertrain warranty expires tomorrow, so it will be covered.

But at this point, in my 10 months of ownership, my oil changes are the same number as my bearing replacements. I am no mechanic, but this seems a bit off.

I have done a search on the forum and on the interweb and this does not seem to be a common issue. Any thoughts? A bad bunch of bearings from the manufacturer or? unfortunately I do not have the prior service records.

Any thoughts?

Edit. Failure is technically not the right term, it has not failed yet, it is on it's way out...

Last edited by fuzzed; 09-29-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-29-2015, 02:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Bearings will fail at some point. Perhaps a seal is starting to fail which causes contamination of the grease inside. I don't recall reading too many complaints about wheel bearing failures but it does happen.

There is no maintenance for wheel hubs which I believe is what's on the rear (sealed hub assembly?). So maintenance records won't help in this case.

I suppose cars driven on poor pavement may be prone to greater failure of this component (and others) than cars driven on good roads. Changing it out before failure is the right thing to do. A seized bearing presents other issues

I'm actually surprised wheel bearings are covered under powertrain.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
fuzzed

I agree on the bearings fail at some time, but two of them at less than 45K miles? I have had them go on other vehicles that after 150K miles which makes sense.

And I too am a bit surprised they are covered under warranty. Until tomorrow that is...
Old 09-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
My passenger front failed too at 70,000 miles.I replaced it myself. Not hard at all. It cost me $174. I wonder what the stealership is charging?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:04 AM
Johnmcc

Hub assembly

I had a 08 g35x which had no issues except for the hub assembly failure and ran into the same issues as u .i bought one from advance and within 6 months it failed again but i bought a timken hub assembly from rock auto ,it has a rubber seal to keep debris and water out and had no more trouble after that but its super important to torque the axel nut to timkens specs .i now have a 2013 g37x and the hub assembly is going out so yeah got do it again on my g37.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:32 PM
PandaX
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnmcc
I had a 08 g35x which had no issues except for the hub assembly failure and ran into the same issues as u .i bought one from advance and within 6 months it failed again but i bought a timken hub assembly from rock auto ,it has a rubber seal to keep debris and water out and had no more trouble after that but its super important to torque the axel nut to timkens specs .i now have a 2013 g37x and the hub assembly is going out so yeah got do it again on my g37.
Do you still remember what torque spec on axle nut for Timken bearing hub? I'm about do front right bearing hub replacement on 13' G37x soon. Another question is should I use 3M copper anti-seize lub on Axle nut and bearing hub bolts?
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:35 AM
dirtnapper56
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Search the FSM for the torque spec.
Field Service Manual

Go to the section for G37 and click whichever model you have (coupe, sedan) then whichever year you have.

Bearing will be in the "Front Axle" section under "Front Wheel Hub and Knuckle"