Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hesistant, sluggish acceleration at lower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 PM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hesistant, sluggish acceleration at lower revs

I'm not sure if this is just a characteristic of the 7at, but at lower speeds the car seems to kind of hesitate or bog when given gas...this until the revs are a bit higher then the acceleration starts to kick in...almost like a lack of torque in a way

My previous car was a 3.5 Altima which had the 5at, and although it didn't have as much power or torque, the acceleration was much quicker and more responsive...perhaps I'm still just getting used to the transition between the cars but for a 330hp car with considerable torque as well, I'd expect the acceleration to be more responsive and quicker

Hopefully these are simply the differences between the 7at and 5at, but if there are any other suggestions on what it could be I'm all ears....

Last edited by misc; 09-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Have you had both transmission updates by the dealer? You can check by taking it to them and asking if they are up to date, also the 7 speed in my opinion sometimes is sluggish and take some time to accelerate in my opinion until you really get on it and the rpms are higher
Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 PM
misc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Have you had both transmission updates by the dealer? You can check by taking it to them and asking if they are up to date, also the 7 speed in my opinion sometimes is sluggish and take some time to accelerate in my opinion until you really get on it and the rpms are higher
I haven't myself, unsure if ever done on the car as I bought it this summer with 20k, now has almost 23k

Its a weird sensation, like when trying to overtake a car just giving it a little gas wont bring the revs up...I have to really press the pedal at least half way down to bring the revs up, then it downshifts and throws me back in the seat.....its like theres no middle ground, just hesitant acceleration or neck snapping throw you in the seat acceleration...it almost feels as if the 7at is confused and cant decide which gear to be in
Old 09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by misc
I haven't myself, unsure if ever done on the car as I bought it this summer with 20k, now has almost 23k

Its a weird sensation, like when trying to overtake a car just giving it a little gas wont bring the revs up...I have to really press the pedal at least half way down to bring the revs up, then it downshifts and throws me back in the seat.....its like theres no middle ground, just hesitant acceleration or neck snapping throw you in the seat acceleration...it almost feels as if the 7at is confused and cant decide which gear to be in
I have that too, and the delay has almost gotten me in trouble at times. For overtaking I knock the shifter into DS (but don't shift up or down), and mash on the gas. It seems to reduce the delay. It will shift on its own in this mode, just on a bit more aggressive schedule. Once I'm around the person and back to cruising, I move back into D mode because the auto downshifts in DS mode can be rough at low speed. I'm not sure if I have any of the updates either, mine's a 2012 with 18k miles, but I plan on getting it into the dealership for some warranty stuff while i can (clock light out, washer fluid sprayer not working), and asking them about the trans updates.

What year is yours?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Get that checked but I still feel hesitation at times, the updates helped tho mine a 2011 with 30k miles and had two updates.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:58 PM
misc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the_wolff
I have that too, and the delay has almost gotten me in trouble at times. For overtaking I knock the shifter into DS (but don't shift up or down), and mash on the gas. It seems to reduce the delay. It will shift on its own in this mode, just on a bit more aggressive schedule. Once I'm around the person and back to cruising, I move back into D mode because the auto downshifts in DS mode can be rough at low speed. I'm not sure if I have any of the updates either, mine's a 2012 with 18k miles, but I plan on getting it into the dealership for some warranty stuff while i can (clock light out, washer fluid sprayer not working), and asking them about the trans updates.

What year is yours?
2013 here....gonna go ahead and stop by the dealer as well and ask about the updates
Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Mr.Grant

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Also I would recommend that you guys if you can yourself tighten your throttle body cables or clean them. I took mine to my local dealer and they did both for free since I brought it in for something else under warranty. I'm can't say which one helped the most, but I can say what a difference I noticed. My car is stock and at first I would put my foot down and especially when passing and its like the car has a moment its like oh you wanted to pass or move I'm sorry I didn't know lol. I also did a ECU reset by letting the battery sit over night unplugged and when I plugged it back up for safe measures I also did the reset using the accelerator method.

I think to help so more I will also try a grounding kit and or tune and some other mods to wake this car up. I mean its fast and the best car I have ever owned, but its also my first so I don't think that completely fair lol. But it defiantly needs help with its indecisiveness when its comes to passing sometimes or getting her to want to move. Let me know if this helps you guys or need more information
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (09-25-2015)

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2015, 04:15 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Grant
Also I would recommend that you guys if you can yourself tighten your throttle body cables or clean them.
Is it typical for that to have to be done under 20,000 miles? Should it be part of a service interval, or just an "as needed" thing?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:28 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had this. The tipping point was 3k RPM.

For me it was gas. I've always put 93 octane, but 91 octane is already considered premium so I tried that.

It pulls timing below 3k RPM on hot days with 91 octane. I put 93 in and it has been fine ever since.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Mr.Grant

Is it typical for that to have to be done under 20,000 miles? Should it be part of a service interval, or just an "as needed" thing?
I wouldn't be the person to give you a 100% answer on that, but I will say anything that's mechanical in my mind will at one point of time. To put it in perspective my car currently has 46k miles on the clock and only about 600 of them are mines since I'm the second owner and only had for a few days lol. Anyways so with that being said it may have been to the mileage on my car it was "needed" but I don't know if you can put an exact service interval on that particular service.

Also I failed to mention by tighten they basically adjusted it so where previously with out it adjusted lets say I push the accelerator down like around 5% that should be enough theoretically speaking to get the car to move or if I was moving to make the car to either increase its speed some or down shift a gear to allow me to increase speed faster. With the adjustment that same 5% open the bodies sooner giving me a quicker response. But like I said I also did a ECU reset and also had the bodies cleaned. So a lot of variables could have effected my quicker response times. So I would recommend doing them one by one. Preferably the ECU reset since that should be free if doing it yourself
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Grant:
the_wolff (10-09-2015), tiguy99 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by misc
I'm not sure if this is just a characteristic of the 7at, but at lower speeds the car seems to kind of hesitate or bog when given gas...this until the revs are a bit higher then the acceleration starts to kick in...almost like a lack of torque in a way

My previous car was a 3.5 Altima which had the 5at, and although it didn't have as much power or torque, the acceleration was much quicker and more responsive...perhaps I'm still just getting used to the transition between the cars but for a 330hp car with considerable torque as well, I'd expect the acceleration to be more responsive and quicker

Hopefully these are simply the differences between the 7at and 5at, but if there are any other suggestions on what it could be I'm all ears....
My previous DD was a Altima 3.5 5AT as well. 2003 with 245HP and 246TQ. They came with a 3.78 gear in it from the factory compared to the Gs 3.36 gear matted to the 7AT. So yeah, the V6 Altima is pretty quick on acceleration largely thanks to it gearing. The FWD helps make them pretty responsive to the throttle and FWDs don't lose as much of it's HP/TQ from the crank to the wheels as RWD cars typically do. It can be even more so on AWDs. So you don't quite feel like you're getting all 330 horses at the foot.

I don't have any lag or bad hesitation in my 2013, but like others have mentioned checking to make sure your tranny is up to date couldn't hurt. A good throttle body check and clean either.

But even with the updates and cleaning, hopefully helping you, i don't think we'll get quite the instant throttle response/acceleration that the Altima gave us due to the gear/FWD combination IMO. Our Gs bump in HP and TQ make up for it in the mid to upper RPMs and a 1000RPM bump in the redline. We just need to swap out our gears for something similar to the 3.78 to be completely satisfied....
Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Pretty sure there's no updates for the 2013. At least, that's what i was told at the dealer.

I recommend doing an ECM reset. I do it every 6mo or so when the weather changes. Literally takes 30 seconds on this car. Procedure is easy to search
Old 09-25-2015, 10:19 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Wait a minutes, tighten your throttle body cables ? really.
Which cables exactly are you referring to? I hope you are referring to the connectors and not a physical cable as the G's don't have an actual throttle cable - never did even the 2003 G35 model ?

also cleaning isn't going to have a great effect on the newer nissan engines with VVL technology (Variable Valve Lift and Timing).. as the throttle bodies open full once the car is started and all the air flow is controlled by the VVL system not the throttle bodies anymore.

I opened mine up on my 2012 at 45,000 miles and they were very clean anyways.

I have been having the same problem with my car, it feel slow and sluggish. Nothing really helped to much until I started only using 93 octane fuel and changing my timing, adding 2 deg. The car feels like a new car now.

Originally Posted by Mr.Grant
Also I would recommend that you guys if you can yourself tighten your throttle body cables or clean them.
The following 2 users liked this post by si_driver:
Mr.Grant (09-26-2015), tiguy99 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Mr.Grant

Originally Posted by si_driver
Wait a minutes, tighten your throttle body cables ? really.
Which cables exactly are you referring to? I hope you are referring to the connectors and not a physical cable as the G's don't have an actual throttle cable - never did even the 2003 G35 model ?

also cleaning isn't going to have a great effect on the newer nissan engines with VVL technology (Variable Valve Lift and Timing).. as the throttle bodies open full once the car is started and all the air flow is controlled by the VVL system not the throttle bodies anymore.

I opened mine up on my 2012 at 45,000 miles and they were very clean anyways.

I have been having the same problem with my car, it feel slow and sluggish. Nothing really helped to much until I started only using 93 octane fuel and changing my timing, adding 2 deg. The car feels like a new car now.
Yes my mistake, I should have clarified yes I'm talking about the connectors that are attached to the throttle body not an actual throttle body cable like how it used to be on older cars. They cleaned them along with the throttle body itself and made sure the connections are tight and secure.
I'm young but when it comes to mechanical work my mind functions like an old timer that's been working on cars for years and used to the old style when cars did have a actual throttle body cable lol
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Melfus Rufus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is yours?
I have a 2009 G37 vert and this 1/2 second hesitation sometimes happens - but I believe the issue may be type of gasoline. Seems not to do this with 93, rather than the 91 most commonly available in Colorado. Sometimes it jumps right on it, sometimes not. Maybe I'll look at the transmission and the gas has nothing to do with it. Have 29k on the car now.

Quick Reply: Hesistant, sluggish acceleration at lower speeds