Sponsored by:

AutoKits Diffuser problem areas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:38 PM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AutoKits Diffuser problem areas?

AutoKits Diffuser problem areas?-image.jpg

Anyone's Autokits sedan Carbon fiber Diffuser have like White Milky areas? Just noticed on mine in the sun. It seems to be getting more of these white areas? When I first put it on it was perfect! Anyone else got this on thiers?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Did you have it clear coated before putting it on?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 AM
808MIKE

No I did not! Thought it already has clear on it! It not ruff anywhere..just these some white streaks poppin up!...like it's under the resin or somethin?

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Did you have it clear coated before putting it on?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
OP is right.. CF from autokits is clear coated by them... I believe it's the FG option for their pieces that comes in 'black' is not cleared and is ready for paint-match, then clear.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM
lake985
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
About a year ago, I started noticing similar white areas on my CF diffuser as well, especially when the sun hits it at certain angles. I'm thinking maybe it needs a good polishing and waxing, which I've never done in the 3 years I've had it.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had mine clear coated before I installed it and I have noticed the white spots as well. It's not as bad as yours OP. I think I need to polish it.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
How-To Polish and Care for Carbon Fiber? | Ask a Pro Blog

Although an older thread.. It's similar to what I practice to keep the clear on top of cf pieces in good to even better shape than they sometimes were 'new'. Might be of use to those who have the detailing bug like me, w a garage full of paint protection and correction items
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM
808MIKE

Thnx Guy's! Glad Im not the only One! I am a Detailer guy also. And I have always had some sort of protection on the Diffuser since I installed it. and my car is not a Dily Driver. It's usually Covered in my garage. But still the marks have appeared and seem to be getting worse. think its shoddy manufacturing on AutoKits part. Maybe the way it's made or molded had an effect on the surface with time. Pretty sad for a $400 product to slowly degrade in Looks. I may take this thing off now...Pretty sad if rolling into a show and your Carbon Fiber Piece looks like it was made in High School shop class! SMDH ....Hard Earned Money Wasted!! SMDH
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
^I'd feel the same way if I were you

My suggestion would be to wrap it with matte/semi-gloss black vinyl. Believe the vinyl will be much more resistant to the elements while also giving the car a unique and sporty look. Yes you'll lose the CF aesthetic that you paid a premium for, but at least you'll still be able to use it.

Btw, how's the fitment?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 PM
808MIKE

Haha yea I may do the wrap thing! Or sell it to Get some $$$ back! Fitment is pretty good! I'd say 8 out of 10. Could use some work around the license plate area. But otherwise it fits good! Just the flaws kill it now! Think u be better off getting the fiberglass one and painting it.

Originally Posted by STownSaint
^I'd feel the same way if I were you

My suggestion would be to wrap it with matte/semi-gloss black vinyl. Believe the vinyl will be much more resistant to the elements while also giving the car a unique and sporty look. Yes you'll lose the CF aesthetic that you paid a premium for, but at least you'll still be able to use it.

Btw, how's the fitment?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I have not seen that on any of my peices, But again I wax the car and the CF parts twice a year and use spray wax twice a month when I wash the car. yes overkill LOL
Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I have not seen that on any of my peices, But again I wax the car and the CF parts twice a year and use spray wax twice a month when I wash the car. yes overkill LOL
Wax, depending if it's carnauba or something else, usually only lasts 1 month.

Spray on wax isn't really going to offer much protection compared to wax. It's really a poor substitute for real protection.

That being said, waxing the car twice a year isn't over kill at all.

Wax is actually meant to be applied after using a sealant.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 AM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Thnx Guy's! Glad Im not the only One! I am a Detailer guy also. And I have always had some sort of protection on the Diffuser since I installed it. and my car is not a Dily Driver. It's usually Covered in my garage. But still the marks have appeared and seem to be getting worse. think its shoddy manufacturing on AutoKits part. Maybe the way it's made or molded had an effect on the surface with time. Pretty sad for a $400 product to slowly degrade in Looks. I may take this thing off now...Pretty sad if rolling into a show and your Carbon Fiber Piece looks like it was made in High School shop class! SMDH ....Hard Earned Money Wasted!! SMDH
I purchased the FG one during a group buy which saved me about $100. Had I paid regular price I would have been livid. Fitment and quality was horrible. I would never invest my money into AutoKits ever again. The day it cracks I will paint the lower part of my bumper like I did on my previous build.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
My CF auto kits is starting to do the same thing and I haven't even installed it yet..
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I was really looking forward to purchasing this rear diffuser, I'm pretty bummed out honestly.

Quick Reply: AutoKits Diffuser problem areas?