G Sedan X good family car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Manny735

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G Sedan X good family car?

Hey guys,

Need some help,

Currently drive a 2009 IS-F and a 2010 370z,I am about to sell my 370Z and buy either a 2008 G35X or a G37X.

I have 2 small kids,one is 4 years old the other is 1.

I have been a Nissan guy my whole life and besides normal maintenance never any issues.

The IS-F doesn't work for the baby seats so its time to get rid of the Z and get my wife a sedan.

I looked at a G25X and even thought the exterior and interior is the same I just didn't feel there was enough power or enjoyment in the driving experience.

I need AWD for the few snow days we have here.

The 08 G35X has 34K miles and the 09 G37X has 43k miles.

How is the fuel comsumption,good car for the family?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Back seats will fit 3 kids comfortably or 2 adults. Trunk space lacks slightly if you take family trips. Gas wise, it's decent consumption for the engine you get. If you live in a crowded city, you'll get way less than the 19/27 advertised.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM
fingertoes77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there, Yes, the 37x is a good family car as i have 3 kids and one was just in a forward facing car seat. He is now in a booster. the back isn't as roomy as my accord was but that's expected. I've been averaging about 23mpg with about 75% highway driving. The awd is good and even had some donut sessions in the snow with the tc turned off. the kids loved it! i have zero complaints. Hey, if you ever lower it, go Swift springs as they make an X specific spring. I went with Tanabe and the back sags. have to use spacers. tnx
Old 09-05-2015, 10:59 PM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Canada and Ill be driving the RWD s model during the snowy months... Fingers crossed though (6mt model)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 PM
XSman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For small kids I would say yes but as they grow and if you are a tall family you'll need something bigger eventually
Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by claudiohv
I live in Canada and Ill be driving the RWD s model during the snowy months... Fingers crossed though (6mt model)
Good tires, and patience and you'll be fine. I spent the last couple winters with RWD and an open diff on the back through winter without too many issues. Excited to try awd this year though.
The following users liked this post:
claudiohv (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
I have 3 kids: 14, 12 and 5 and they fit in the back with my wife and I in the front.

If they had a choice, they would pick my wife's SUV over the car for sure, but for most trips, they are fine back there as long as I keep the AC up front cranked up.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:17 PM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Even though our X5 35d is usually the choice for trips, usually because we're pulling the travel trailer, I prefer to drive a *car* on a daily basis. I used to have "fun" cars as a third car to get my fix but right now, I'm third-car-less. So... I wanted something to satisfy the sporty urge and do family duty. It came down to the G37 or a 335. It was tough to find 335s equipped similarly to the G37 with premium and nav, CPO, with similar miles and price. So... I went with the G37 and am absolutely loving it. I would have like to have been able to buy a RWD with a manual as I think with snows, I can handle the roads. It's our 300' long up-hill driveway and desire to not hear my wife complain about getting stuck halfway up that dictated the AWD. I keep it pretty clear with my tractor but... if we get 6" over the day while I'm at the office and she gets home before me, I'll hear about it. So... G37xS it is. The TC, to me, isn't overly intrusive. It takes a fair amount of wheelspin in the snow to get it to kick in and I love the RWD bias. Of course, if you want more or less wheelspin, disable it or put it in snow mode, which I do find useful on very slick roads.

MPG wise... not the best but I'm not complaining. 19/20 in 90% city/suburban driving. 26-27 on the highway, loaded up with people and gear. For the performance I get, I'm fine with it.

Plenty of room for my 7 and 12 year olds but we don't have "tall" genes. The trunk size is sufficient to me... it's more about the size of the opening. That seems to be the bottle-neck. A couple of weekends ago, a buddy and I went to a friends lodge on about 500 acres where we do a lot of shooting. Somehow... we got six or so long-guns in cases in the trunk and when we got there... it took us 20 minutes or so to figure out how to get them out. We had to shuffle them around just so in order to get just the right angle. It was kind of comical.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Limmerbr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a heads up as I do own an 09 g37x sedan, the rear seats do not fold down, only has ski pass through.

Also if your family is on the taller side, your kids will have a hard time fitting in the back during their older years. I would say under 6' your okay.

Also rotate your tires is key with the AWD.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Limmerbr
Just a heads up as I do own an 09 g37x sedan, the rear seats do not fold down.
Limmerbr makes an excellent point. Also the trunk, as others have mentioned, is not big...or even medium and it's a bit awkward getting things in, and more importantly, getting those things back out again.

All in all I love it and I was looking at the cars others have mentioned and went with the G. My first Asian car.

Sean
Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 PM
hayzooos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 G37X here. I have two kids, 4 and 1 as well, and we just took a trip a few hours North this past weekend. My wife has a Lexus 350RX and there was more room in shotgun in my car than in her SUV. The youngest sits behind shotgun with the older one behind the driver. I've always driven, but especially in the RX because my knees hit the dash (I'm only 5'11") with the base and seat behind it.

No problems in the G37 though to be honest with regards to having kids. I've had this car almost a year now and don't normally take the kids in there, but now and then we do and it's not an issue by any stretch. 3rd en route in January, so wifey will have to get a new ride pretty soon.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:58 PM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How do car seats work on the leather? I just have nightmares of the base ripping my back seat up when the time eventually comes.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:37 PM
flyng_fool
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get one of these:

Amazon.com : BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector : Car Seat Travel Bags : Baby Amazon.com : BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector : Car Seat Travel Bags : Baby

They were great for protecting our car.
The following users liked this post:
MistahGuy (09-11-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
A 4 year old and a 1 year old? My girls are 3 years apart, and I remember those ages like it was yesterday. My advice... suck it up and get a minivan until they're both in boosters.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 AM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have 9 year old and a 6 year old girls. The bottom of the rear seat is shaped in such way that it is difficult for my 6 year old to buckle herself in when she's using a booster seat. It's mostly because the cushion is to narrow compared to the width of the booster seat. The booster seat ends up covering the buckle. It's a minor inconvenience, otherwise the car is a good family hauler for short trips. I got a 2014 pathfinder at the beginning of this year, and the family by far prefers it to the G37. It's just so much more spacious, and surprisingly better on fuel.

Quick Reply: G Sedan X good family car?