G37S Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ended buying new Centric rotors and pads. They should arrive this week. Now I just need to decide if I want to tackle this job myself or pay the local shop to complete the job. They asked me for $450 to install everything and do a brake fluid flush. It seems about $100 too high IMO. I got the new rotors because I don't want to do brakes again for another 5 years or 45K. That's what I got from the OEM set.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
I ended buying new Centric rotors and pads. They should arrive this week. Now I just need to decide if I want to tackle this job myself or pay the local shop to complete the job. They asked me for $450 to install everything and do a brake fluid flush. It seems about $100 too high IMO. I got the new rotors because I don't want to do brakes again for another 5 years or 45K. That's what I got from the OEM set.
Bro, tackle it yourself. The hardest part will be jacking up the car, and taking off the wheel. And Im being dead serious.

Brake jobs on these cars are SO easy. As soon as you look at the brake assembly, it SCREAMS at you as to what to do. A $30 tool set is all it would take if you dont have any wrenches.

Once you do it yourself you will facepalm yourself as to why anyone would pay a dealer $1000 for a brake job.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
most good independent shops charge ~$50-$60 per corner to re+re rotors and pads. so for labor only that would be ~$250 (including shop fees, etc) for all 4 corners. add another ~$100 for fresh fluid and bleeding. so the total should be somewhere around $350+tax.

as chilibowl says the brakes are easy to DIY. the rears are slightly more difficult than the fronts, but no big deal.

OP - good decision on quality Centric parts. if you are not confident in your DIY abilities, maybe spending the $250 is worth it to you.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Bet there's a member from Chicago on this site that would help for a case of beer. I know I would if I lived nearby.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:10 AM
4DOORFUN

OK. I think I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow. I bought two cans of brake clean and some pad lube. I received the new parts from Centric and the rotors looks to be high quality.

I've done some reading and I'm concerned about runout. I have no way to measure for runout. Do I need to be concerned? It sounds like runout is mainly caused by not cleaning off the rust and debris off the hub before installing the new rotor. If I make sure I clean off the hubs really well do I still need to be concerned about runout?

Outside of the runout concerns, I'm pretty confident that this a job I can handle. I'm going to work on the front brakes first and do the rear on another day. The front wear indicators are the ones making all the noise and I'm not even sure the rear pads are shot, but I bought new rear pads and rotors anyway. I'm sure they are getting close.

And lastly, do I need to bleed the brakes if I don't disconnect any lines? I wouldn't think so, but it seems like a lot of the DIY's talk about bleeding the brakes after the install. Does the install somehow allow air to enter the brake lines? I understand I need new brake fluid after five years, but I'd like to wait a while longer before I tackle that project.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Could you look at the Centric packaging and post where the rotors were manufactured?
Old 09-03-2015, 02:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Bleeding the brakes is child's play with a power bleeder. The tool + right fitting is about $70-90 depending where you get it from. 2 Quarts of fluid should be plenty for a S sedan. As someone mentioned, it'll take longer to jack the car up and prep than to actually replace the fluid/pads (rotors take a bit longer).

Where in chicago are you?
Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2 piece rotors for the unsprung weight reduction!!
Any special instructions for bleeding the ABS actuator?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Could you look at the Centric packaging and post where the rotors were manufactured?
In China
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (09-03-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:02 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I believe Centric's Premium brand and StopTech rotors are made in the US: Rotors Overview

Of course you will pay more for these two brands. The versions made in China are still good quality as Centric has a brand reputation to uphold and they are really just trying to offer a portfolio of products across different price points as there are alot of folks that could car less about some of the more stringent manufacturing aspects that go into their higher end brands.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I believe Centric's Premium brand and StopTech rotors are made in the US: Rotors Overview

Of course you will pay more for these two brands. The versions made in China are still good quality as Centric has a brand reputation to uphold and they are really just trying to offer a portfolio of products across different price points as there are alot of folks that could car less about some of the more stringent manufacturing aspects that go into their higher end brands.
Only the Aero Rotors say made in USA.

Pretty sure Nissan/Infiniti rotors are either made in the USA or Japan. I'm happy to pay more for domestic made products
Old 09-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Dan Titan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys!

I have been reading you since I bought my G37S, one year ago. As there is not much information about this car in my country (Spain), I need your help. (Promise that I will upload some pictures of my car asap)

It´s time to change the front brake pads and I would like you to tell me if the right part number of Akebono front brake pads for a G37S is ACT888.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 PM
4DOORFUN

I did the front over the weekend and it was easy. Made sure I cleaned the hub off very well before installing the new rotor. Lubed the new pins that hold the pads and bolted the caliper back on. So far, no noise or vibration, but I have not driven all that much with the new brakes. The new pads suggest that regular street driving with no hard braking will bed the pads so that's what I'm doing.

I will do the rear pads and rotors this weekend. Anything special I need to know about the parking brake?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
I did the front over the weekend and it was easy. Made sure I cleaned the hub off very well before installing the new rotor. Lubed the new pins that hold the pads and bolted the caliper back on. So far, no noise or vibration, but I have not driven all that much with the new brakes. The new pads suggest that regular street driving with no hard braking will bed the pads so that's what I'm doing.

I will do the rear pads and rotors this weekend. Anything special I need to know about the parking brake?
Nothing special, just remove the rotor slowly so you don't dislodge everything.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm happy to pay more for domestic made products
Some may not have that luxury.

Quick Reply: G37S Brake job