G37 Sedan

Moving On

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by samuel1021
The G has been sold, and a 2009 BMW 335Xi sedan with 54,XXX on the clock, has been acquired.

-6MT
-N54
-Alpine White
-Chestnut Brown Dakota Leather
-iDrive
-Sport Package
-Cold Weather Package
-Premium Package

And so on.

I've already coded the car to my liking VIA the BMW Carly App, and flashed the ECU to the MHD Stage 1 Map, which increases the boost from 8 psi (stock) to roughly 14/15 psi VIA the MHD App.

Up Next:
-Tint
-Coilovers
-VRSF Catless Downpipes
-Dual Cone Intakes
-VRSF Charge Pipe
-VRSF FMIC
-Apex PS7 Wheels (next summer)
-M-Sport Bumpers (eventually )
I don't mean to come across like the resident old man, but that's a lot of mods, and money, to dump into an out of warranty, 6+ year old BWM with 55K

Originally Posted by Rochester
And say goodbye to LSD.
And say hello to ugly single piston sliding brake calipers.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by lego_maniac
...and say hello to ugly single piston sliding brake calipers.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I don't mean to come across like the resident old man, but that's a lot of mods, and money, to dump into an out of warranty, 6+ year old BWM with 55K
I'm not old and I feel that way.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Moving On

My second favorite car was a 95 M3 and so far 2.1 favorite car is my '10 37x. Yours has nice colors.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 AM
zero2sixtyZ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahaha. I see you, man.

We're finally having the Sedan meetup this Saturday. Shame you two won't be there, but I'm glad to have met you last year just the same.
Wish I could've made it, Roch. Just did a nice trip to Jersey for Bimmerfest to help a sponsored car enter the show. Amazing turnout. Worth checking out even if you don't jump ship. I'll post pics on the dead forum we frequent at some point.

Originally Posted by samuel1021
Get outta here.
Guess I'm not welcome. I was on Nissan/Infiniti forums before you owned a car, just saying.

And say hello to ugly single piston sliding brake calipers.
Guess I f'd up big time then.

There are a lot of misconceptions here about the "pay to play" theory. BMW tax absolutely exists, if you're a sucker to go visit Samuel1021 and fork over dealer parts and labor rates. But, if you actually do a bit of research, these cars are NOT expensive to maintain out of warranty.

Few known issues, more so than the Gs admittedly, but I've had my 335i for 2+yrs/40k hard miles and my maintenance/repair costs have been under 1k. Water pump ($400), spark plugs ($60x2), and carbon cleaning ($380, these are direct injection motors so it is by design). Adding a belt tensioner preventatively and I'm adding $130 to that total. A lot of the OEM manufacturers have been discovered, and you can buy common maintenance parts like injectors, coil packs, etc... without the BMW tax for OEM quality.

Yes, spark plugs are needed every 20k once you're tuned, but small price to pay for 80whp/100wtq from the ease of an Android app.

This is coming from an ex-VQ owner, so trust me I have love for the NA roar you guys have. Stock for stock, they are somewhat comparable. But modified, the potential is very different.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Wish I could've made it, Roch. Just did a nice trip to Jersey for Bimmerfest to help a sponsored car enter the show. Amazing turnout. Worth checking out even if you don't jump ship. I'll post pics on the dead forum we frequent at some point.
I can say with 100% confidence that the only way I'd jump ship into a BMW is if I lease the car and don't mod it. But "jump ship" does ring true, because I've been driving Nissans now for almost 25 years. That said, I think when I jump, I'll be going British.

Dead forum... yep. Can't imagine the lame 8th Gen is infusing any excitement over there. You and I had the last best models in that line-up.

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I was on Nissan/Infiniti forums before you owned a car, just saying.
LOL. Burn.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I can say with 100% confidence that the only way I'd jump ship into a BMW is if I lease the car and don't mod it. But "jump ship" does ring true, because I've been driving Nissans now for almost 25 years. That said, I think when I jump, I'll be going British.

Dead forum... yep. Can't imagine the lame 8th Gen is infusing any excitement over there. You and I had the last best models in that line-up.

LOL. Burn.
Hey John, post a pic of your Max if you don't mind.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:40 AM
zero2sixtyZ

F-Type and a Range Rover would do the driveway nicely. But I think the next jump will be euro delivery of the F80 M3, if I don't shoot for a used 911. Working on a daily as the 335 moves to weekend duty. After the new tune, it isn't economical for my new commute anymore.

The 8th gen is horrible in my opinion. I can't stand the styling. Saw it at the dealership, and it basically reminds me of the Ford Taurus. Talls doors and console, no interior room. Waste of mass.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hey John, post a pic of your Max if you don't mind.
Zero's car was far more pretty than mine. Have Zero post a pic of his Maxima.

My 5.5 Gen 6MT looked almost totally bone stock to the untrained eye. However, it was still nicely modified, and quite the sleeper.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (08-26-2015), socketz67 (11-12-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 AM
zero2sixtyZ

Zero's car was far more pretty than mine. Have Zero post a pic of his Maxima.
Feels right to post other car's in Samuel's "Member Rides" thread:
Name:  2010_06_19_Pic_2749-1.jpg
Views: 5439
Size:  95.9 KB
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You must have better pics than that, Zero. The shadow-side of an out of focus, black car... Srsly?

Heck, I even have a better picture of your car. Here:

Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
One of the worst things I did not like about my BMW is the disposable cooling systems. All that plastic going thru all those heat cycles takes its toll. Enjoy it. They sure are fun cars to drive around.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I can say with 100% confidence that the only way I'd jump ship into a BMW is if I lease the car and don't mod it.
+1

I recently did some cursory research into leasing a M3. Too much for now, but in 2 years, when the kids are in school and I'm not paying for a nanny it will be a different situation.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

+1

I recently did some cursory research into leasing a M3. Too much for now, but in 2 years, when the kids are in school and I'm not paying for a nanny it will be a different situation.
Ah, the slack between Child Care and College. Good luck.

You should come to the meet-up this Saturday. It's only (LOL) an 8 hour road trip. There's another member who's driving 11 hours to attend.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM
zero2sixtyZ

You must have better pics than that, Zero. The shadow-side of an out of focus, black car... Srsly?

Heck, I even have a better picture of your car. Here:

Ugh, that's an awful one. We gotta talk about that backdrop... Haha. I was going for the dark and mysterious look.

Name:  larz_andersen_41611.jpg
Views: 5302
Size:  186.7 KB

I agree about the BMW cooling systems. They are definitely a cheap point, especially for the turbo models. These motors run very hot. Luckily, the water pumps are electric and do go into fail safe so you don't run the chance of causing serious damage.

Quick Reply: Moving On