G37 Sedan

clicking noise from trans

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 AM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
clicking noise from trans

i took it to the dealer a few months back about this issue. they didnt want to touch it because i had a modified suspension and exhaust. they said the noise was hard to hear. the problem happens when driving normal or quicker speeds when coming to a complete stopes (when the trans ****s from either 3/2 to 1st.) i definitely can replicate it with ease when on manual mode. any idea what it may be?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
This is one of those issues that's hard to objectively evaluate. Unlikely to be exhaust related, but could be suspension related. You'd need to convince them somehow it is trans related. Is it a click or more of a judder/surge? Could also be normal on a 7AT. I even notice to some extend on our honda with the cvt when slowing down.

Speaking of the honda, we bought that car new few months back for another family member who mainly drives it in town. Few weeks ago I drove it on the interstate for a good 300 miles. The car tracked perfectly straight, but the steering wheel was off center by a degree or two. This bothered me enough to go back to the dealer to have them recenter/align the car.

During test drives, the tech found no problem, the service writer noticed the issue, the service manager didn't notice anything, kept claiming it was road crown. Road crown does not affect which way the steering wheel points when driving straight with hands off the wheel.

The warranty says they cover alignments for the first year or 12K miles. After enough persuasion they put it on the alignment machine and recentered the wheel.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:43 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i was thinking of buying a used suspension just to do a quick swap. the clicking noise happens only when the trans downshifts from 3/2 to 1st gear and only when coming to quicker stops. there is no way this could be related to suspension or else it would always be noticeable. if it was suspension related it would do it from high revs on 1st gear coming to complete stops but it doesnt.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Not sure if I had this issue before(possibly but never paid attention until reading this post) my 7at sedan S went in for 60 k and I had a tranny and rear diff service, they just drain and partial refill etc... Few days ago driving with windows down in neighborhood, I hear this click type sound(not a click, but I can't sufficiently describe sound ) and I think it's the tranny engaging or shifting though not sure if, but that was/is my best guess. The car shifts normally and no other problems that I can feel etc. going in for an oil change at dealer and will bring up....see what cooks up with that conversation. Anyway will post their response and see if it helps out
Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
fwiw, I had a metal on metal clinking noise when shifting into reverse, accelerating from a dead stop, shifting, and even turning. Only came from the rear right side and seemed like it happened when weight shifted. Problem ended up being the axles lost their lube, and one mechanic mentioned something about a loose nut on the axle. Whatever it was, its fixed now.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:34 AM
Nickx28
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey bro did you ever figure it out

I’m having the same metallic clicking... only when dropping in manual mode from 2nd to 1st ... stock suspension but I do have a catback w HFC
Old 05-25-2020, 02:32 AM
symatt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickx28
I’m having the same metallic clicking... only when dropping in manual mode from 2nd to 1st ... stock suspension but I do have a catback w HFC
Your axle needs greasing https://infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB13-008.pdf
Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 PM
WorkMeister
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e82hh31u0y...73131.mp4?dl=0 This sound right?
Seems like that is the problem, need some grease. I just got this noise recently too. Was trying to figure out what it was. Had my car lifted and checked my bushing and suspension parts, they were good. Happens when going straight (rolling,accelerating), turning, think reverse too.

Last edited by WorkMeister; 05-28-2020 at 12:09 PM.