G37 Sedan

Bottom front skid plate (scraping)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 AM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Bottom front skid plate (scraping)

Hello everyone. Recently got my car lifted about an inch after i deemed it was too low to be drivable in the city. If anyone is from New York City, you'll understand when I say expressways are just another way to say driving fast on bumpy *** roads. Once I got it raised a bit there was definitely a big improvement after, but I am still scraping on the plastic skid plate/undershroud underneath the front of the car.

I was wondering how any of you, if you've experienced the same, dealt with this issue since the plastic hangs so low from the body. Is there an aftermarket panel available that's made with a more durable material? I've already torn a couple of the bolts off the plate and really want to stop worrying about the whole thing shearing off while I'm driving.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx
Hello everyone. Recently got my car lifted about an inch after i deemed it was too low to be drivable in the city.
I've driven mine in NYC and never had a problem.

. Is there an aftermarket panel available that's made with a more durable material? I've already torn a couple of the bolts off the plate and really want to stop worrying about the whole thing shearing off while I'm driving.
Try here!

Infiniti G35 Aluminum Splash Shields | TBW

Telcoman
Old 08-20-2015, 11:22 AM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep I constantly scrape on the plastic underguard but that's because I'm pretty low. Driving with the windows down, I can hear the plastic scraping the road and rocks clanging on the exhaust so I'm pretty much a street sweeper LOL. But its no big deal, its just plastic and when it gets torn up, I'll just get a new one. There is a metal underguard available but for someone like me that would just be a shower of sparks and too much noise from banging on the road.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Hello everyone. Recently got my car lifted about an inch after i deemed it was too low to be drivable in the city. If anyone is from New York City, you'll understand when I say expressways are just another way to say driving fast on bumpy *** roads. Once I got it raised a bit there was definitely a big improvement after, but I am still scraping on the plastic skid plate/undershroud underneath the front of the car.

I was wondering how any of you, if you've experienced the same, dealt with this issue since the plastic hangs so low from the body. Is there an aftermarket panel available that's made with a more durable material? I've already torn a couple of the bolts off the plate and really want to stop worrying about the whole thing shearing off while I'm driving.
more durable than plastic?

its still goin to scrape

just remove it
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Better the shroud scrape than anything important. If you lower, you have to live with it.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
I ve been through three metal undershields all of them have been beat to ****. the first one the oil trap door fell off the 2nd one the entire thing pretty much got bent out of shape and one of the corners snapped off where the bolt held it so it was dragging. and now I am on the third. For me its right where the sway bar is. sure its better than having anything else hit but in some cases a thin sheet of metal isn't really going to do much
The following users liked this post:
GS07 (01-09-2016)
Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
When I changed my own oil a couple weeks ago I realized that there are 3 or 4 of those plastic clips that go into the shield that were never replaced by the dealer. Of course the bolts hold the plastic shroud up fine, but those plastic clips prevent the middle from sagging down. I put new clips in that I bought off amazon and I never scrape now in places where I used to, it seems to have given me at least half an inch extra of clearance, so check it out. I am lowered 2".
Old 08-22-2015, 08:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
When I changed my own oil a couple weeks ago I realized that there are 3 or 4 of those plastic clips that go into the shield that were never replaced by the dealer. Of course the bolts hold the plastic shroud up fine, but those plastic clips prevent the middle from sagging down. I put new clips in that I bought off amazon and I never scrape now in places where I used to, it seems to have given me at least half an inch extra of clearance, so check it out. I am lowered 2".
This right here^^^^
If you have a NAPA they sell similar clips that I've found to snap tighter and hold up a bit better. They're Balkamp 665-3153 push retainers.
You'd be amazed how much that damn pan sags without them.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
I ve been through three metal undershields all of them have been beat to ****. the first one the oil trap door fell off the 2nd one the entire thing pretty much got bent out of shape and one of the corners snapped off where the bolt held it so it was dragging. and now I am on the third. For me its right where the sway bar is. sure its better than having anything else hit but in some cases a thin sheet of metal isn't really going to do much
Did you have and issues with scraping the exhaust too? Running ark on mine and have a few scrapes on my mufflers and the braided flex pipe.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:54 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Did you have and issues with scraping the exhaust too? Running ark on mine and have a few scrapes on my mufflers and the braided flex pipe.
Yup i scrape some times on the exhaust as well and the cats. I have the first generation ARK so it does hang low.

Most of the time tho i scrape my undershield and not the ARK
Old 08-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
Yup i scrape some times on the exhaust as well and the cats. I have the first generation ARK so it does hang low.

Most of the time tho i scrape my undershield and not the ARK
No holes or major damage in yours though right? Never had an exhaust that hung this low before so I'm very worried about destroying it on NYC roads
Old 08-23-2015, 01:58 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

nope no holes or major damage.... yet