Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tachometer backlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:46 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tachometer backlight problem

During the last couple days, my tachometer backlight would flash on and off while I'm driving. Today, the upper section of it beteween the 3 and 7 numbers went off, as you can see in the pic below:

I believe some of the LEDs burned out which is unusual since these things last for years. Would any one know where I can get this fixed besides the dealer? I live in the LA/OC area in California.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
During the last couple days, my tachometer backlight would flash on and off while I'm driving. Today, the upper section of it beteween the 3 and 7 numbers went off, as you can see in the pic below:

I believe some of the LEDs burned out which is unusual since these things last for years. Would any one know where I can get this fixed besides the dealer? I live in the LA/OC area in California.
At 80 MPH my tach is at 3k. It is rare that I ever exceed that
Why bother to spend money to fix it if it is not covered under warranty

Telcoman
Old 08-15-2015, 08:42 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
At 80 MPH my tach is at 3k. It is rare that I ever exceed that
Why bother to spend money to fix it if it is not covered under warranty

Telcoman
Name:  tumblr_ms4l45IIKX1r75rkko1_400_zpsolenqdle.gif
Views: 5791
Size:  993.6 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 08-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Here is place I found for you about 30min form OC:
They also do on-site repairs
Fixyourgauge

If it means anything....they have good reviews in yelp
Reviews

g/l
The following users liked this post:
madmax2k1 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
That would bug the hell out of me to have half the tach light working.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:46 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
+1. If I have it on the car it better freaking work like it was designed to! I couldn't sleep.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
How much additional damage will result from ripping the dash apart to repair this - additional squeeks, rattles..... If it's out of warranty, leave it be IMO.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 08:02 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
How much additional damage will result from ripping the dash apart to repair this - additional squeeks, rattles..... If it's out of warranty, leave it be IMO.
Some learn life's lessons the hard and expensive way

Us old farhts know better

Telcoman
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gio37
Here is place I found for you about 30min form OC:
They also do on-site repairs
Fixyourgauge

If it means anything....they have good reviews in yelp
Reviews

g/l
I called this guy, he only deals with specific models, mainly GM vehicles. So the search continues.

I'm a little disappointed with the quality of Infiniti vehicles, the dashboard light should outlast the life of the vehicle.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Leave it be? LOL. So you're telling me that wouldn't bother you driving at night? Come on now, he drives an infiniti, not a hyundai.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:04 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^It honestly depends on the situation. The OP has a 7 year old car. Definitely past the basic warranty. Perhaps extended warranty? Which would probably cover this.

BUT, it's not a simple repair. Someone more familiar can chime in, but I bet it involves in part some dash R&R. Dashboard is plastic, plastic gets brittle over time. It will never go back the same way it was.

So... Yes, I'd leave it be. I'm more bothered by noises than a few segments of tach not lighting up.

Years back I had the same issue on a motorcycle display. It happened early on in the season. While not as big of a repair was still time consuming to take the cluster apart to get at the bulbs. Rode with it that way for 3 years until I finally sold the bike.

@Telco, who you calling old fart?? I still got a few left in me
Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

was still time consuming to take the cluster apart to get at the bulbs.
Commonly known as a clusterfVck!

@Telco, who you calling old fart?? I still got a few left in me
Then you are a quick learner and are somewhat advanced

Telcoman
Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I've just noticed the same issue popping up on my G- but in the 6-9K RPM's range. I haven't done any investigating to see how much $ a repair would be. It bothers me, but I share the same hesitations noted about tearing up the gauges for a 'vanity' repair.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
At 80 MPH my tach is at 3k. It is rare that I ever exceed that... Why bother to spend money to fix it if it is not covered under warranty...
...BUT, it's not a simple repair. Someone more familiar can chime in, but I bet it involves in part some dash R&R. Dashboard is plastic, plastic gets brittle over time. It will never go back the same way it was.
These statements are absurd to me. Changing the bulbs in the instrument cluster is not rocket science. We perform all types of maintenance and repairs which have a risk of things not going back together exactly the same. Something else to think about: the techs at the Infiniti dealers run that same risk. Warranty or not.

...So... Yes, I'd leave it be...
To each his/her own.

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
+1. If I have it on the car it better freaking work like it was designed to! I couldn't sleep.
These. This would be as bad as any annoying noise or squeak. You can't ignore a dead light by turning up the radio.

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Leave it be?... Come on now, he drives an infiniti, not a hyundai.
This would bother me in any make of car. Don't be such an elitist. LOL It's just an Infiniti.

Originally Posted by KEG97
...It bothers me, but I share the same hesitations noted about tearing up the gauges for a 'vanity' repair.
We're pushing a bit past 'vanity' and into 'safety'. The more time yours eyes have to spend on the cluster, the less time they are on the road. I imagine checking your speed at night with the incoming lights of the street lamps would take just a skosh longer. Might as well be safe AND gain your vanity points.

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
...I'm a little disappointed with the quality of Infiniti vehicles, the dashboard light should outlast the life of the vehicle.
Another absurd statement. Bulbs went out and you're disappointed with the quality of Infiniti? Hahaha. Seriously. What manufacturer has bulbs that never go out?

I've taken the clusters out of cars ranging from Audis to Volvos to replace bulbs. They are almost always easy, and can be replaced as though it was never apart. The bulbs are typically removed with a quarter turn, snap in, or solder. Easy peasy unless they're soldered and you can't solder. If not, take it to someone who can. Removal of the cluster should still be straight forward.
I'll see what I can dig up for DIY help later today if you'd like to try to tackle it.

Last edited by nelledge; 08-16-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Found this in a cursory search. It's for a 370z, but it gives a good idea what is involved. I'll search a bit more if anyone would like. The FSM also has instructions, but it's usually more involved than what is actually required.

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
1. Removing the combination meter does NOT involve removing the steering wheel. With the vehicle running, turn the steering wheel to reveal the screw cover behind the steering wheel. Pry the cover, and remove the screw. Do the same for the other side. Turn off your car and remove the 3rd screw underneath the steering wheel column. Pry the lower steering column cover. Note the lip of the cover can be squeezed out of the steering wheel.

2. Underneath the steering column are 4 bolts to remove.

3. Carefully pull out the combination meter, and note the lip of the upper cover can be squeezed out of the steering wheel. Disconnect a couple of wire harnesses. There are 2 wire clips (black and white). The white one is easy to remove. The black one is difficult, but is held down by the electric tape. It can slip out of the tape and pop off after removing the meter, and then it can slide back into the electrical tape. Follow the service manual guidelines to disassemble the gauge cluster.

Quick Reply: Tachometer backlight problem