Sponsored by:

My Custom ARK Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
My Custom ARK Muffler Delete

I've heard a lot of good things about doing a muffler delete on the sedan so I figured I would give it a shot. I didn't want something really loud and I don't have the money for a full CBE at the moment. Many would say try the Tanabe Axleback but IMO it's far too quite for the money you spend. So I pieced up something a little more custom and I'm really pleased with the outcome.

I went with ARK Universal burnt tips
4.5" Diameter
2.5" Inlet
7.75" Long

I paired the tips with 2.5" piping and a reducer at the end to fit the stock (2.25") flange so everything bolts together.

Overall it was a little louder than I expected. Maybe because I haven't had an exhaust in a while but with my experience its loud. It could be because of the tips I used, I know they have the honeycomb type of cutouts in the inside so that might have something to do with it? No idea. All i know is it sounds a lot deeper and less VQ toned than some of the others ive seen but it could be because i used 2.5" piping as well.

I get a little drone roughly when I'm doing ~35 mph and around 1.5k rmps. Sometimes louder it just depends. Luckily I took it on the highway and received no drone at all so Im happy with that. I can deal with the drone around town at low rpms

My only disappointment is the muffler shop welded the tip too far down the piping so from certain angles you can see the left side has about and inch of piping sticking thru the back of the tip. I'll be going back to get it fixed when I get the chance but the right side is perfect.

Name:  IMG_0148_zpse1hzrhrz.jpg
Views: 28120
Size:  221.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0150_zpseamz7low.jpg
Views: 27113
Size:  219.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0152_zpskiz5g6mu.jpg
Views: 26742
Size:  132.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1189_zpsvab4q3oj.jpg
Views: 32093
Size:  246.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0211_zpsbs8eylc1.jpg
Views: 28162
Size:  196.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0210_zpsf1r6zurf.jpg
Views: 27372
Size:  233.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0209_zpsie5qdp64.jpg
Views: 26887
Size:  180.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0208_zpsufturntu.jpg
Views: 27795
Size:  195.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0207_zps5eqfbwve.jpg
Views: 26981
Size:  277.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0206_zpswcdpawi9.jpg
Views: 27024
Size:  307.5 KB

Sound Clip-
Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

I'll post a couple more videos when its less windy out
Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
so is the rest of your car stock?

sounds like the ebay axlebacks to me? i thought it would be louder
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by i heart ricers
i thought it would be louder
Me too. Must be the OEM cats and piping, assuming OEM cats.

Sounds fine. Looks great; (burnt Ti notwithstanding personal preference).

I absolutely love seeing good quality photos on the forum, and these are those. Well done, OP.

The following users liked this post:
Broski28 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by i heart ricers
so is the rest of your car stock?

sounds like the ebay axlebacks to me? i thought it would be louder
All stock except Status Elite short ram.

I was surprised as well, it's louder in person so I'll try to get a better video later. It has more of a deep tone than the VQ, not sure if its because of the tips or what. Ill post back later tonight with another video.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Me too. Must be the OEM cats and piping, assuming OEM cats.

Sounds fine. Looks great; (burnt Ti notwithstanding personal preference).

I absolutely love seeing good quality photos on the forum, and these are those. Well done, OP.

OEM cats, not sure what made it sound different. My guess is the style of tips, as you can see the honeycomb structure on the inside, my guess is that reduces the tone and adds drone, or the 2.5" piping? Idk haha.

But thank you on the pics, I'm glad someone noticed. I just got a new DSLR
Old 08-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Those tips are resonated, meaning they contribute to smoothing out the exhaust note. Not a whole lot, but that's the design intent. Plus, the double-wall looks cool, IMO. Just for yuks, I looked thru youtube for a comparison clip, and found one on an old Mazda. Search "before and after resonated tip" Pretty dramatic difference, much more than I expected.

Whatever... Life is good for you and this mod, OP. I'm looking forward to seeing quality photography from you in other threads.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
You did a great job.

Good looking tips and sounds good

And thanks for the sound clip.
Broski28 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Is there a reason why you went with 2.5" piping from the axle back instead of sticking to 2.25" like factory?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Those tips are resonated, meaning they contribute to smoothing out the exhaust note. Not a whole lot, but that's the design intent. Plus, the double-wall looks cool, IMO. Just for yuks, I looked thru youtube for a comparison clip, and found one on an old Mazda. Search "before and after resonated tip" Pretty dramatic difference, much more than I expected.

Whatever... Life is good for you and this mod, OP. I'm looking forward to seeing quality photography from you in other threads.
Thank you sir! Im pleased with the outcome, maybe after so long they'll break in a little who knows. I love the look though and that's what i was going for!

I'm still getting used to the DSLR but you'll be seeing me around here and there! I'm hoping to do a downtown Chicago shoot next week though so you might be seeing an album pretty soon!

Originally Posted by qmantran
Is there a reason why you went with 2.5" piping from the axle back instead of sticking to 2.25" like factory?
I went with the 2.5" because the tip inlet was already 2.5" so i didnt want to use a reduce right after the tip being that it would show from side angles so i used the reducer towards the bottom flanges.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great tips & pics. You made it easy to decide what tips I'll be going with in the near future, my TopSpeed tips (at least the drivers side) is a bit flattened from trying to negotiate my driveway without scraping. Those tips look like a perfect replacement although I'd go w/ the straight non-burnt stainless ARK tips.
Thanks for posting this setup.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:03 PM
abharwani

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds good to me.. I just surprisingly found out about the muffler delete and scheduled an appointment with an exhaust shop on the 15th. I'll most likely end up using OEM tips
Broski28 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Jmak
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bro ski, tx for the posts, pictures and sound. Now go real sloooow. I understand where you got the tips. Did you have the pipes made or buy them for the G37? Did you install them or go to a shop? Tx for all your input and help. I plastic dropped the deck lid emblems and numbers. Looks good.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jmak
Bro ski, tx for the posts, pictures and sound. Now go real sloooow. I understand where you got the tips. Did you have the pipes made or buy them for the G37? Did you install them or go to a shop? Tx for all your input and help. I plastic dropped the deck lid emblems and numbers. Looks good.
No problem man! I went to a local muffler shop and explained what i wanted done. Told them a muffler delete, or basically a straight pipe from the axle portion, back. They provided the pipes, measured and bent them. Then aligned the tips to my liking, they welded the tips to the piping and walah! All done.

But nicely done with the plasti dip! Post some pics on my 3m wrap thread that i sent you, I'm interest in seeing it!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by abharwani
It sounds good to me.. I just surprisingly found out about the muffler delete and scheduled an appointment with an exhaust shop on the 15th. I'll most likely end up using OEM tips
Thanks man! It's growing on me the more I drive it. It's not the pure VQ I was hoping for but under the right acceleration I can get it to purr just like I wanted!

BTW I have a set of OEM tips for sale if you don't want to cut up your stock. Roughly 16k on them, If you interested I can polish them up tomorrow and shoot you some pics.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Great tips & pics. You made it easy to decide what tips I'll be going with in the near future, my TopSpeed tips (at least the drivers side) is a bit flattened from trying to negotiate my driveway without scraping. Those tips look like a perfect replacement although I'd go w/ the straight non-burnt stainless ARK tips.
Thanks for posting this setup.
Thanks man, I debated the SS tips as well instead of burnt tip but I couldnt find them in a 4.5". Unless it was from someones CBE, I only found the burnt tip in universals. My other option was the Motordyne tips, I found a pair for sale the day after I ordered mine and regret not snagging them lol. I think it would have sounded more "toned"
blnewt (08-05-2015)

Quick Reply: My Custom ARK Muffler Delete