G37 Sedan
View Poll Results: Do you turn off the a/c before turning off the car?
I always turn mine off
46.74%
I never turn mine off
38.04%
Sometime I do
6.52%
I really don't give a rat's *** !
8.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Do you turn off your A/C before shutting off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:44 AM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If u listen to the car. It doesn't turn the a/c for a few seconds after the engine running. Also the computer for the climate control doesn't start up until a few seconds later as well. Trust and believe on this car the engine does not have any strain from the compressor when u hit the button
The following users liked this post:
dbeachy1 (08-01-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 AM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Twista
If u listen to the car. It doesn't turn the a/c for a few seconds after the engine running. Also the computer for the climate control doesn't start up until a few seconds later as well. Trust and believe on this car the engine does not have any strain from the compressor when u hit the button
So one last time.... If the engine it on and the a/c and compressor are running and I turn off the engine and restart it. At what point do they disengage by it's self when restarting the engine?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gman69
So one last time.... If the engine it on and the a/c and compressor are running and I turn off the engine and restart it. At what point do they disengage by it's self when restarting the engine?
It probably dis engages when u hit the stop button
Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kb Cool
Mine slowly ramps up the blower so you don't get blasted. I thought this was a feature in our cars. Does yours not have it?
I honestly haven't tried it.. Developed habit over the last 10 years or so of driving..
Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM
g37Frost
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've always left my a/c on. I have the auto climate control feature too so when I start the car, the fan does not come on right away. It takes about 3-4 seconds for it to spin up, steadily, so it doesn't blast me in the face with hot air.

The a/c starts blowing refrigerated air a lot quicker than my previous cars did.

Last edited by g37Frost; 08-02-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:32 AM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I leave it on AUTO year-round. when you start the car, the A/C doesn't immediately start till you see the INFINITI logo on the screen, so I don't really see a problem. I didn't bother turning it off in any cars I've had and never had a problem, but everyone has different opinions on this. At least on the 37 it's useless to turn the AC off I think. I don't get any smells or mold issues and I run the AC all the time. Just my .02
The following 2 users liked this post by Alcaponed:
telcoman (08-02-2015), VIVID (08-02-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver
I always turn the a/c off, and leave the fan on, for about three or four minutes to "dry the pipes" before I get where I'm going - that way there's no musty odor later.
The A/C removes moisture, so turning it off is going to put more moisture in the pipes, unless I am missing something.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpg37
The A/C removes moisture, so turning it off is going to put more moisture in the pipes, unless I am missing something.
I've done this with forty five years worth of cars, and have never had the musty odor problem with any of them, so yes - I think you are missing something.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jpg37
Originally Posted by solidsilver
I've done this with forty five years worth of cars, and have never had the musty odor problem with any of them, so yes - I think you are missing something.
45 minutes or 45 years, it doesn't matter. It's the physics of a refrigeration system.

Key step in the procedure solidsilver uses is to keep the fan on without the A/C on. This forces air passed the evaporator coils which allows the moisture to evaporate. If one turns off the A/C system AND fan(parking and turning the ignition off), no air is allowed to pass the evaporator. The evaporator is in a dark, secluded, and scary box. Any remaining moisture will allow mold, mildew, and monsters to grow smellier and smellier. And no one likes a smelly monster behind their dash.

The main distinction, jpg37, is the elimination(or near elimination) of the moisture on the evaporator. Yes, the A/C system will remove moisture from the area being climate controlled, but a side effect is condensation on the evaporator. The removal of that condensation is the purpose of this technique.

I follow the same procedure as solidsilver, and it keeps things relatively fresh. Roll the windows down about half a mile from home, turn off A/C, turn on fan, and turn off recirculate(it works REAL fast on a summer day in San Antonio).
Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
45 minutes or 45 years, it doesn't matter. It's the physics of a refrigeration system.

Key step in the procedure solidsilver uses is to keep the fan on without the A/C on. This forces air passed the evaporator coils which allows the moisture to evaporate. If one turns off the A/C system AND fan(parking and turning the ignition off), no air is allowed to pass the evaporator. The evaporator is in a dark, secluded, and scary box. Any remaining moisture will allow mold, mildew, and monsters to grow smellier and smellier. And no one likes a smelly monster behind their dash.

The main distinction, jpg37, is the elimination(or near elimination) of the moisture on the evaporator. Yes, the A/C system will remove moisture from the area being climate controlled, but a side effect is condensation on the evaporator. The removal of that condensation is the purpose of this technique.

I follow the same procedure as solidsilver, and it keeps things relatively fresh. Roll the windows down about half a mile from home, turn off A/C, turn on fan, and turn off recirculate(it works REAL fast on a summer day in San Antonio).
All those years I knew it worked, I just never had a clue as to exactly how - I appreciate the explanation.