Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2013 G37x - Ester Oil vs Mobil 1 synthetic, Oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G37x - Ester Oil vs Mobil 1 synthetic, Oil change interval

Own a CPO 2013 Infiniti G37x. 33k Miles now. Managed 3k miles in a month. Yup, I am that excited to drive it everywhere.

Last oil change, I have the service department put in the Synthetic fluid (I later found out to be Mobil 1). However the Infiniti recommends Ester oil.

Questions I have are,

1. Which one is better for a normally driven car. (I do not floor it 98% of the time and do not drive in dusty or muddy road conditions).
  2. Which one will give me the extended oil change intervals? (This is what I am seeking for. I do not want to be at the shop every other month for an oil change)
  3. Is the Ester oil worth 100+ taxes? (Des Moines, IA; the only dealership in less than 2 hour radius)
  4. Am I taking a risk by adapting longer oil change intervals?
  5. What is the most I can drive with Mobil 1 and Ester oil?

I have read the manual and it suggests that I can go for upto 7500 miles between oil changes if I primarily fall under schedule two. However it does not state using which oil? Is this assumption made using the Nissan Ester Oil? Or using a synthetic fluid (preferably Mobil 1 since many dealerships use it) or any standard engine oil? My best guess is that Mobil 1 is a dealer endorsed item rather and possibly not what Nissan/Infiniti wrote the manual based on. So it has to be either regular engine oil or the Ester oil. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by sharmelan; 07-07-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a thread on the Z board that may help, or not, lol
Nissan Ester Oil is part synthetic or full syenthic - Nissan 370Z Forum
I use Pennzoil Platinum w/ Bosch premium filter (the bigger one from the Infiniti 5.6V8) w/ OCIs every 6k miles. Oil is always at the top of the stick and excellent mpg. Had a couple Blackstone UOAs and they were very good. I used M1 w/ M1 filters (also the bigger ones) w/ our 07 G35 w/ good results too.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
As a very broad rule of thumb: 3-4k miles for dino, 7-8k miles for synthetic. Overthinking the interval is pointless, unless that's your hobby... which it actually is for some people. They get their oil tested and make a real science out of it. Personally, I use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic with K&N filters, with a 7K OCI.

There really is no wrong answer, as long as you actually change the oil and don't let it go.

Here's another thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
guy from norcal (07-08-2015), sharmelan (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 AM
vamarris

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Full synthetic has always been a no brainer for me. You are not under your car nearly as much and it's way cheaper as long as you extend your OCI.

A conventional - 5qts. of 10W-30 will run $23.00 to $27.00 on average for 3000 to 3500 between changes
A full synthetic - 5 qts. of 10W-30 will run $29.00 to $36.00 avg for 7000 to 7500 miles between changes

I am also more confident with the full syn in my crankcase due to it's ability to withstand higher temps before breaking down etc.
The following users liked this post:
sharmelan (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM
sharmelan

Originally Posted by Rochester
As a very broad rule of thumb: 3-4k miles for dino, 7-8k miles for synthetic. Overthinking the interval is pointless, unless that's your hobby... which it actually is for some people. They get their oil tested and make a real science out of it. Personally, I use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic with K&N filters, with a 7K OCI.

There really is no wrong answer, as long as you actually change the oil and don't let it go.

Here's another thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html

I am wondering why the service department still plastered a 3750 mile schedule on the windshield sticker even when I have put in Synthetic oil in it. Did they tell me that they put synthetic while they've put dino, or they want my money more often ! I cant tell which.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sharmelan
I am wondering why the service department still plastered a 3750 mile schedule on the windshield sticker even when I have put in Synthetic oil in it. Did they tell me that they put synthetic while they've put dino, or they want my money more often ! I cant tell which.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Dealership service departments typically put junior tech on things like oil changes.... or they're blatantly trying to rip off clientele for unnecessary OCI. Doesn't really matter either way, because it's better to be an educated consumer than an unwitting victim.

I used to have dealerships change oil when I had lifetime oil changes in past cars. But if you don't have that available, it's far less expensive to do it yourself than to pay someone. Plus you get peace of mind that no one is taking advantage of you. And it's not that hard, particularly if you only do it every 7000 miles.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I am prepared for the flak with this statement:

AMSOIL Signature, AMSOIL filter, 12.5k OCI...Oil report and MPG are great. Have not had to top off oil level between changes. Engine has 45k. I had the same OCI on my sludge-prone ES300 with no issues. You could at least go 10k with full synthetic (Group IV)
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I recently purchased Mobile1 \ 5-30 \ 5q jug + 1q bottle total 30 bucks at wallmart, also Fram synth oil filter. total was $40.

Was tempted to get M1 euro formula but just didn't go for it this time.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Anyone here mess with Total Quartz 9000 Synthetic oil? It was formerly known as Elf. That's what I've been using for some time now. One of our vendors stocks this stuff mainly for the European cars (bmw, benz, porsche, VW, audi, etc). It's not that popular in the states but supposedly it's huge overseas. Also, apparently it's the only oil that Mercedes approves of. Obviously I'm not driving a Mercedes, but this stuff is supposed to be the ish. Supposedly there was some "deal" made with Mobil 1 to be marketed with the German cars a few years back because they are a big company that's well known by consumers, so that's why you see Mobil 1 as approved oil on many German cars in the States and not some other brand. For example, amsoil or royal purple are both great oils and no one is saying they are bad, but Mercedes specifically only approves of Total oil today (approval letters are right on their website). I duno... maybe someone here has some knowledge/experience with it.

p.s. I am strongly against 95% of "german engineering" ..... when you realize how often they break down and actually work on them yourself, you'll see what a scam it is. So just because mercedes says something, doesn't mean it's a holy message from the car Gods lol.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I've never had any issues with Mobil 1 on my previous vehicles (one with forced induction). Change every 7500 and all was good. Over 100,000k on the turbo.

Now on my boat I only use Royal Purple...but that's another forum.
sharmelan (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 10:22 AM
sharmelan

Originally Posted by VIVID
I've never had any issues with Mobil 1 on my previous vehicles (one with forced induction). Change every 7500 and all was good. Over 100,000k on the turbo.

Now on my boat I only use Royal Purple...but that's another forum.

Does your car sound tractor'ish on a cold startup? I hear a bit of that throaty engine noise the first 30 seconds and it goes away. It does not sound like anything is broken or not working. In my head, I always thought it was because the oil has not been reached all the parts yet. I will try to record the sound and post it here by the weekend. I was wondering if Mobil 1 oil change has anything to do with it.

The car was running on standard oil before and this was the first Mobil 1 oil change, by me and for the car. Do you think the use of Ester Oil will quiet this down?

One thing I am concerned about is, the car has absolutely no service records in the past (On carfax only. I am yet to inquire the dealer). Makes me wonder if I jumped the gun too fast.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
^ the cold start up sound is 'common'...
sharmelan (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sharmelan
Does your car sound tractor'ish on a cold startup?
At some point early in every G owner's time with the car, they ask themselves that exact same question. But it's totally normal. The VQ37 makes a horrible racket when cold, even more noticeable if you're in a garage.
sharmelan (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
After switching from regular oil to synth oil, engine quiet down during normal operation at normal engine temp, which I'm glad.

Will n e v e r use regular engine oil again.
sharmelan (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 PM
sharmelan

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
^ the cold start up sound is 'common'...
Originally Posted by Rochester
At some point early in every G owner's time with the car, they ask themselves that exact same question. But it's totally normal. The VQ37 makes a horrible racket when cold, even more noticeable if you're in a garage.

Thanks for confirming this guys. Feeling much better about it now.

Also, when I cold start the car, should I wait for a few seconds or a minute before driving off? Is the car warm up is just a myth or still relevant in this age with modern cars?

Quick Reply: 2013 G37x - Ester Oil vs Mobil 1 synthetic, Oil change interval