2013 G37x Tire recommendation advice needed.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G37x Tire recommendation advice needed.

I have a 2013 G37x that has about 32k miles on it. I am looking for some advice on possible tire choices for this car as my current set has 4/32 tread left. Am I looking into changing too early? If so, please feel free to point out.

Non sports version of the vehicle, with default wheels, assuming they are 17's.

My priorities are,

1. Quiet ride, quiet ride, quiet ride. I feel that the default Eagle RS-A are too noisy for my taste although I like the driving feel of it.
  2. Snow traction. I live and drive between Iowa and Michigan every month. My home is situated in a hilly area where previous cars struggled to climb on a icy / snow day and slide downhill the other way.
  3. Same amount of road feel as the default Good year Eagle's.
  4. Higher tread life. I wish the next set last a good 60k or above at least unlike the good year that is wearing out fast (in 32k miles already, please advice me if this is the norm).
I have done some research and got interested in "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus". How would you guys rate it? anyone using it? is there a better tire than this that can be both quiet and provide excellent road feel along with fun driving dynamics?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Gefartenblatz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Corvette with the stock Goodyear Eagles and the noise was awful. They were run flat but the noise was ridiculous. I switched to Michelins and the noise was cut by at least 50%. When I am ready to change these Eagles on my 2013 I will look strongly at Michelins. Also, you might consider an "H" speed rated tire instead of a "V". "H" is good to 130 MPH and the side walls will be softer meaning quieter. When I replace mine, I will likely go with "V" (up to 150MPH) but I have not decided for sure.
The following users liked this post:
sharmelan (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gefartenblatz
I had a Corvette with the stock Goodyear Eagles and the noise was awful. They were run flat but the noise was ridiculous. I switched to Michelins and the noise was cut by at least 50%. When I am ready to change these Eagles on my 2013 I will look strongly at Michelins. Also, you might consider an "H" speed rated tire instead of a "V". "H" is good to 130 MPH and the side walls will be softer meaning quieter. When I replace mine, I will likely go with "V" (up to 150MPH) but I have not decided for sure.

What does the "V" rated tires do better for a everyday car driver? can you explain why are you thinking of switching to it? This may help me make my decision as well.

I will never take my car to a track or push it beyond 100 even at moments of curiosity. Hence, "H" rated tires seem like a good enough deal to me. However I was wondering if it has any impact on driving dynamics? Maybe due to the firmer walls the car feels great now, but is noisy as well?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Gefartenblatz

They come with "V" rated tires, the "H" is a downgrade and much less expensive. If you don't intend to go over 100mph then get the "H". The reason they come with "V" is that the top speed of the G37 is faster than the "H" speed rating.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:34 PM
MagicMarker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On my previous car I wanted as quiet as possible, and after some research decided to try Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and they were pleasingly quiet. They will fit your G37X's 17" wheels. Performance didn't really matter with that car, so I can't comment on the performance aspect. I can vouch for their quietness, so it might be worth researching.

Got my 2013 G37X about a month ago, it came with new Capitol Sport UHP's... I had to research Capitol because I hadn't heard of them... they're fairly inexpensive, tire rack doesn't carry them, but they've been decent so far and are pretty quiet.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by sharmelan
I have a 2013 G37x that has about 32k miles on it. I am looking for some advice on possible tire choices for this car as my current set has 4/32 tread left. Am I looking into changing too early? If so, please feel free to point out.

My priorities are,

1. Quiet ride, quiet ride, quiet ride. I feel that the default Eagle RS-A are too noisy for my taste although I like the driving feel of it.
  2. Snow traction. I live and drive between Iowa and Michigan every month. My home is situated in a hilly area where previous cars struggled to climb on a icy / snow day and slide downhill the other way.
  4. Higher tread life. I wish the next set last a good 60k or above at least unlike the good year that is wearing out fast (in 32k miles already, please advice me if this is the norm).
I have done some research and got interested in "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus". How would you guys rate it? anyone using it? is there a better tire than this that can be both quiet and provide excellent road feel along with fun driving dynamics?
If you've been happy w/ the RS-As then most any above average all season tire should suffice. The RS-As are a horrible tire for the most part, poor grip, soft sidewalls, just a very average tire that is better suited to a 4 cylinder sedan like Accord or Camry. You might send a PM to Neal@Tirerack and see what he recommends, he's pretty quick to reply and very helpful.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Continental Pure Contact.... I have one and the Goodyear RSA is stiffer on turn , but the Conti is stiff but comfortable with 700 rating treadware.
sharmelan (07-28-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:57 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
I used both Bridgestone Turanza Serenity: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Serenity+Plus

and

Kuhmo Ecsta ASX: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+ASX

on my 2004 G sedan.

Both were well behaved, but the Bridgestones both lasted and remained quiet longer.

They are more expensive, which is why I bought the Kuhmos at the time as I knew I would not be keeping the car much longer.
sharmelan (07-28-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
sask83
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season tire). Little to no noise, handles good in the snow & rain and very reasonable priced from tire rack.
sharmelan (07-28-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 PM
NSH PREDS

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 G37x

I bought a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires back in April to replace the tires that came with the car.

With the Bridgestone tires there were immediate ride (smooth) and road noise improvements as well as wet handling gains. My traction control light would sometimes activate on wet curvy roads with the previous set of tires but not these. Driving on wet roads and in the rain is nothing for the Turanza's. Plus they have a 75000 V/80000 H mile tread life per the manufacturer. The car has remained even in the gas mileage department - so no gains there. Overall, I'm happy with the tires and would buy them again.

The Turanza's are not "sporty" tires however as they can sometimes be a little busy in a straight line. They are not cheap either. I haven't driven them on ice or snow yet so I can't comment on that aspect.

Wish I could compare to the Pirelli's you're looking at as they look to be a great tire choice based on what I've read about them. I've never driven them though.

Last edited by NSH PREDS; 07-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.
sharmelan (07-28-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 AM
dandre83
Registered Member

Pirelli's

Originally Posted by sharmelan

My priorities are,

Had them on my 06 Accord the one I just traded in for a g37x S. Best tires I ever owned super quiet great control can't comment on snow traction had snow tires.
sharmelan (07-28-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Question re new wheels and tires.

This is probably stupid...but when you get a new wheel and tires combo, do they also install the TPMS and program it...or whatever they do?

Also I assume that the TPMS costs extra.

I want new set-up but retain my old set intact. They only have 8000 miles on them and the wheels are perfect with no curb rash or dings. Maybe I could just sell 'em. I don't suppose that a tire dealer would take them and knock Some cash off.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:46 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by seanclong
This is probably stupid...but when you get a new wheel and tires combo, do they also install the TPMS and program it...or whatever they do?

Also I assume that the TPMS costs extra.

I want new set-up but retain my old set intact. They only have 8000 miles on them and the wheels are perfect with no curb rash or dings. Maybe I could just sell 'em. I don't suppose that a tire dealer would take them and knock Some cash off.
If you have the room I'd keep the OEM wheels, all that OEM stuff is best to keep, much better to sell your aftermarket parts separately when the time comes to sell your car. You'll get more for your parts and it will be easier to sell your car later when it appears stock.
VIVID (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
While H rated, v , z and w tires represent the speed rating it also relates to the compound of the tire. Each tire has a softer compound. So while you might not hit those speeds it helps the grip with the car. Other things to consider is load index and tread pattern. A lot of times you need to forget mileage ratings for handling based on how/where you drive. Read some reviews and talk to Neal at Tire Rack. I also have the General and in my experience I think they are average tire.
sharmelan (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
The stock goodyear Rs-a were some of the worst feeling tires I've used. I made the switch to Continental DWS before I left for vacation. Didn't get to use them much, but are much better than the stock goodyears. Quieter and more responsive in my opinion.

Have not been able to use them in wet and snowy conditions yet, but I've seen many say good things about its ability in non-dry conditions for an all-season tire (especially snow).
sharmelan (07-08-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 G37x Tire recommendation advice needed.