Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do first? Performance or Appearance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:35 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by i heart ricers
"improving the car" is a lot different than getting bigger wheels or a louder exhaust

you said youll have $2k ?
I'll havw 800 + 2000 in a month so, 2800. Than after that month, I hopwnto have another $2000
Old 06-29-2015, 02:43 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JinV36
I'll havw 800 + 2000 in a month so, 2800. Than after that month, I hopwnto have another $2000
ok id make a new thread then

i have $4800 and i ...

My goal is an overall better ride in handling, speed, comfort, etc. indont want a loud *** car but I don't want a straight modded out car in appearance with no performance gains.

I jus want to improve the overall experience.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Talk to Tony over at FI. They're in CA.

You can reinstall a used cat yes though i imagine it would be a PITA.

Cannot do that my kind sir. California is a bitch. I can't find any body to install / uninstall when it comes to Smogging / CARB.

This was literally my first mod. A berk HFC (not sure if its a RHFC). But I can't find anywhere to install it.

And even if I did install it, and I want to do Smog and have it CARB legal, can i RE-install an alerady used stock OEM cat?

Theres so much to it that I can't understand unless I talk to another Californian about it as I have so many questions about the legality of RHFC's in Ca.

It's like, is it the point where its like tints? Front window tints are completely illegal but everyone does it still. Are RHFC one of those things as well? I am in CA>
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Neither is desirable. My goal is an overall better ride in handling, speed, comfort, etc. indont want a loud *** car but I don't want a straight modded out car in appearance with no performance gains.

In other words, im just Tryin to find the standard approach fellow Gs took.
Rochester is correct on this one. I don't have sways yet but I don't doubt his word. You shouldn't either trust me

If your goal is overall speed, handling and comfort. Your trying to spend around a grand. This is clearly a Takeda Long Tube CAI (power plus a nice sound change) and a sway bars (handling and overall driving improvement) mod situation. Done and done.

Believe me you will NOT regret buying the LTCAI. It's still one of my fav power mods and I'm done with those. Best bang for your buck power mod hands down IMHO.

I know Rochester and several other active members believe that sway bars are your best bang for buck overall mod. So this is simple IMO. You'll be VERY pleased with this route man.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
it always starts with LED bulbs always... then a drop then wheels, then intakes, catback, hi flow cats... it never ends but it always starts with those tiny little bulbs
Old 06-30-2015, 12:42 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you do rims, try to do rims/suspension together. The wheel gap just doesn't look right with rims in my opinion.

I did power mods first, but eventually you will get everything... so doesn't matter where you start
Old 06-30-2015, 12:54 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first mods were Hotchkis adjustable sways, GT spec strut tower bar, Eibach springs, & 20mm spacers. Looks, handling, & driver feel were greatly improved with a small investment.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see sway bars pop up as a good first mod. I was looking through this thread and this seems like a cheap way to improve handling if you have an X:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...upgrade-5.html

I am going to try it out as the X has a small rear sway bar. It should stiffen up the rear a bit and reduce body roll.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
For folks with the full range of "bolt on" power modifications, do you feel it was worth it?

It seems with the VQ engine, not much additional power can be extracted without major work done (F/I). Seems the $$$-benefit ratio for intakes, a/m cats, exhaust, etc seems very high, but I know nothing from actual experience.

FWIW I almost always stick with aesthetic modifications, then slowly move on to suspension/handling
Old 06-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
For folks with the full range of "bolt on" power modifications, do you feel it was worth it?
Yep. Worth every penny.

For only a couple thousand dollars (half that if you're industrious or cheap), you get a stronger mid-range, and an extra 15-20 at peak hp, give or take. Toss in a long-tube intake and a tune, and you're at 25-30 hp or thereabouts. These are changes that you certainly feel, not just random numbers. (Well, OK, they are just random numbers, LOL)

As for sound... there are very few cars that come from the factory sounding as sweet as the FI exhaust.

Compare that to the mark-up on the IPL over the standard G37S Sport Coupe. So yes, totally worth it.

STownSaint, you are a good candidate for 4.083 gears and a stock setup.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-30-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 PM
4WDve

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought this engine is maxed out from the factory. Nissan did all they could to keep this VQ relevant. I have been following Aferdo's build for awhile and it seem bolt on mods for the 3.7 VQ is like battling with a stage 4 cancer. You gain some then lose some with the next mod.
Unless I must own a VQ powered car for a long time (like your situation, Rochester), dropping a few grands on bolt-on mods could be better save for the next car. I think...
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
^^^
Long term ownership plans when you mod the car year over year as a hobby... you're right, that affects how mods are assessed. Fair enough.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:14 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

STownSaint, you are a good candidate for 4.083 gears and a stock setup.
Well not going to pretend I know much at all about these 4.083 gears, but it seems like there are lots of tradeoffs? Also, practicality of shortening gears near the city may not be great, could be misunderstanding this mod though. Care to share more?

Originally Posted by 4WDve
I thought this engine is maxed out from the factory. Nissan did all they could to keep this VQ relevant. I have been following Aferdo's build for awhile and it seem bolt on mods for the 3.7 VQ is like battling with a stage 4 cancer. You gain some then lose some with the next mod.
Unless I must own a VQ powered car for a long time (like your situation, Rochester), dropping a few grands on bolt-on mods could be better save for the next car. I think...
Well I do plan on keeping the car far a while, at least another 5 yrs at the rate I'm going, but I think you kinda touched my point.

Lots of $$$ needed to wring out the extra HP, which to some may be considered marginal. And of course being "worth it" is entirely subjective.

I like the idea of making the car look and sound nicer, because they're qualities that can be appreciated pretty much every time I drive (or even look at) the car. Know not everyone thinks similarly. And also, take this from someone who never did much more than an a/m intake, so perhaps I've not yet experienced the end to justify the means (or something like that), and now the price of admission is a bit higher.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint

It seems with the VQ engine, not much additional power can be extracted without major work done (F/I). Seems the $$$-benefit ratio for intakes, a/m cats, exhaust, etc seems very high, but I know nothing from actual experience.

FWIW I almost always stick with aesthetic modifications, then slowly move on to suspension/handling

John is correct. Worth every penny. However, I fully intend on having my G for the better part of a decade. If your going to trade your ride in after a few years....buy everything anyway lol.

No seriously STownSaint...just spend $350 on a Takeda LTCAI and then get back to me. You'll feel /hear the difference immediately and you won't ever regret that $350. Try it you'll like it. Even if that's your only power mod.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 PM
4WDve

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always wonder if the additional noise was what make we think we gained power. Since every time I fly home for vacation and drive my dad old fx45, the car always felt as fast or faster than my G37, because of the sexy exhaust note that the G didnt get.

Quick Reply: What did you do first? Performance or Appearance Mods