Time for some new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:06 PM
PotentialG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for some new shoes

Right now the Q has the standard 17" wheels which I'll probably use as my winter set. This being said, I'm looking for something with a little bit more "pop."

I've read some posts about people lowering, not lowering, 20's, etc. I was probably looking at a simple jump to 18's and I don't see lowering in the near future(Not 100% sure yet). I was thinking about the TSW Valencia's, specifically the black w/ machined lip. Possibly the Enkei EKM3's?

Any other suggestions for wheels? I may change out the grille, and add a few other exterior items like a front lip so I will need to keep that in mind. Any mods that people have completed and then wished they did something else instead? E.g. Got 20's wish they went with 19's , got 18's wished they got 19's etc.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:23 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I almost always suggest second-hand OEM wheels for someone looking to upgrade, especially from the base 17" alloys, for these reasons:

1) They're generally more affordable (than a/m)
2) Their quality is presumed to be pretty high since they are standard equipment
3) They were designed specifically for the Nissan/Infiniti aesthetic, so to me they are more likely to be in design "harmony" with your car
4) Nissan/Infiniti has produced quite a few good looking options for factory wheels (M45 19s, M56 20s, Maxima 19s, G37 sport 19s, IPL 19s, 370Z 19s, etc. etc.)

I think the upgrade to 18" would be fine, but considering the "investment" into 19" shouldn't be that much greater, but the look would be much more noticeable, it may be worth consideration.

If you're convinced, then try to check Craigslist and forum classifieds to see what's out there, you may find a great deal, too.

If not, I know there's tons of great a/m options too, I just don't have much to say about them, except that doing research of brands, especially lesser known ones, would be prudent.
The following users liked this post:
Flakman (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
STown has good advice^^
Might look at the SSR 18s, nice looking quality wheel that's available in quite a few widths & offsets
TreadDepot.com: SSR Wheels
Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 AM
PotentialG37

I had looked at the classifieds first but truthfully the prices seem steep for OEM used wheels. Granted there was some steals on the Enkei sport wheels but those have all sold. Going to 19 might not be a terrible idea.

Craigslist is fairly barren in my area, I'm not in any rush though so I can wait and see what pops up.

I'll take a look at SSR and start looking through the pictures thread for some ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited by PotentialG37; 05-26-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
I almost always suggest second-hand OEM wheels for someone looking to upgrade, especially from the base 17" alloys, for these reasons:

1) They're generally more affordable (than a/m)
2) Their quality is presumed to be pretty high since they are standard equipment
3) They were designed specifically for the Nissan/Infiniti aesthetic, so to me they are more likely to be in design "harmony" with your car
4) Nissan/Infiniti has produced quite a few good looking options for factory wheels (M45 19s, M56 20s, Maxima 19s, G37 sport 19s, IPL 19s, 370Z 19s, etc. etc.)

I think the upgrade to 18" would be fine, but considering the "investment" into 19" shouldn't be that much greater, but the look would be much more noticeable, it may be worth consideration.

If you're convinced, then try to check Craigslist and forum classifieds to see what's out there, you may find a great deal, too.

If not, I know there's tons of great a/m options too, I just don't have much to say about them, except that doing research of brands, especially lesser known ones, would be prudent.
I'm an OEM wheel guy too. Although some here have made some great choices with their wheels, I just like the stock look. If I were going to upgrade, I'd be looking at the coupe 18's/19's, Maxima 19's or M Sport 20's
Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I think 19's are the way to go. fill the fender nicely and still have some room left for a decent size tire that rides nice too.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by PotentialG37
I had looked at the classifieds first but truthfully the prices seem steep for OEM used wheels. Granted there was some steals on the Enkei sport wheels but those have all sold. Going to 19 might not be a terrible idea.

Craigslist is fairly barren in my area, I'm not in any rush though so I can wait and see what pops up.

I'll take a look at SSR and start looking through the pictures thread for some ideas.

Thanks!
If you have time on your side, you'll find a nice set for a great price. Had lots of opportunities to buy sets of OEM wheels in the $800-$1200 range, but eventually a set of sport coupe wheels popped up on CL for $400 and I swiftly scooped them up. Was checking CL weekly for a few months. Might seem obsessive, but not much time invested so worth it to me

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 PM
PotentialG37

Yeah I truthfully wouldn't pay that much for used OEM wheels. I can get brand new Enkei(who makes many of the OEM infiniti wheels) for a hair over a thousand depending on the style and tire selection.

Today while getting a tint quote I had some goober trying to talk me into a $9000 wheel and tire package. He then proceeded to claim more or less every brand he didn't carry was garbage...
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I like wheels that look like they belong, that could be OEM at a casual glance, but reveal themselves with more design when given more consideration. That's the kind of wheel that I appreciate. When someone is checking out your car, and says, "Those aren't stock... are they?" That's what I was going for with my Vossens last year.

Ultimately the rim you choose is a personal thing, and it should be. Every time you approach the car, you should aware of the wheels and feel good about it. It's not a perfect world, but it's nice when the little things work, like a car hobby.

It's a rare OEM wheel that just works, and the 19" Sport Coupe wheels are one of them. You could do worse.

Here, Brad started this thread for me a year and a half ago. Maybe there's something in there for you.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ls-thread.html

Last edited by Rochester; 05-28-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 PM
PotentialG37

Originally Posted by Rochester
I like wheels that look like they belong, that could be OEM at a casual glance, but reveal themselves with more design when given more consideration. That's the kind of wheel that I appreciate. When someone is checking out your car, and says, "Those aren't stock... are they?" That's what I was going for with my Vossens last year.
Yup, I want it to be subtle. I don't want massive gaudy wheels like the guy was suggesting. Then again he didn't even know Enkei was still in business(his words not mine) so who knows. I think I've got it narrowed down but I'm going to check that thread for more ideas.