Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE, bye G37, Hello SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:12 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
For those that own or test drove this car, what do you think about the steering? I test drove one today (an auto!@#). It seemed to handle pretty well between the drive modes. However, even in sport mode, the steering felt very light and numb compared to the G37(S). I'm sure it's something i'd get used to but was one of the few things that stuck out to me. Maybe the tires were over inflated. Aside from that, space wise was very nice inside. Enough room in the back for adults and a decent sized trunk. The auto version is a double wammy. You pay $1300 for a gas guzzler tax and $1xxx for the automatic trans. Manual saves you at least $2500 . Fit and finish seemed like typical chevy. For a car in this price bracket I expected a bit more soft touch materials, less plastic. What'd I love to see is a ats-v drive line in one of these. Probably won't happen as it would be a direct competitor to the caddy. Which btw is over $60K nicely equipped. At the end of the day, the G37s (sedan) holds its own pretty well I think. Not a member of the 400HP club, but does very well in most other respects. Appearance wise it's an awesome sleeper car. From a distance to the lay person looks just like a malibu. Chrome wheels.. Eh.. Satin darker wheels would look nicer I think. It does ride on 19" bridgestone re050a. @efuseakay Don't get hung up on awd. The rwd g is perfectly capable of snow driving with winter tires here in chicago. Remember the blizzard we had on 2011 or '12. I was out that afternoon in my camaro (with winter tires). Didn't get stuck at all. Ground clearance on both cars (g and camaro) becomes an issue long before traction. Edit: One other question, I couldn't find the button to open the trunk outside. Does this car not have that feature?
It's very possible the tires were over inflated, as many SS owners have reported that their tires had around 50 psi when delivered, which is just the dealer not doing a proper PDI. That said, the SS has electric assist and definitely does not have the feel of a good hydraulic rack like the G37 has. It's not bad, just not quite as good as the G.

I really like both of these cars, and IMO the fit and finish of the SS is on par with the G. Soft touch materials are where they should be, it has leather and suede on the dash, etc.. There are only two things I miss from my G interior that i wish I had in the SS: the magnesium shift paddles (SS has plastic) and the power tilt/telescoping wheel that would tilt up and pull back when getting out of the car. The SS has some nice features standard that the G doesn't have though like heated AND ventilated seats, a nice leather wrapped flat bottom steering wheel, heads up display, park assist (not that I will ever use that though), magnetic ride control, and 415 hp 6.2 liter V8

Oh, the trunk can only be opened by using the button on the inside of the driver's door, or the button on the fob. I too was disappointed when I realized there was not a button on the outside of the trunk.

Some pics of mine.

Name:  90650af99343627e35c054569220f34e_zps2t1q6lzu.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  705.4 KB
Name:  0cfc2aedfd5daacdf458f8d1b2d22066_zps5kmwlozf.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  654.0 KB
Name:  3ceafdc7122012a517e5246eb5ed97fc_zpsihxy1jkc.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  695.0 KB
Name:  ffa37b960dbdb25a659214beb15a8f7b_zps8h9vzzsv.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  612.9 KB
Name:  8D252A68-5831-4BB6-BF47-F25422CD1E32_zpsk6428lwx.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  307.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
TheLocNar (08-03-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You know, I considered the G8 GT at one point, and actually test drove one when Pontiac was still a thing. That car was a straight-line rocket! My god, it had power to spare. But the fit & finish was really crude, and it handled like a sailboat.

I assume the GXP was a vastly better animal, but priced in the stratosphere... kind of like the SS.

You're in Charlotte, Lego. Go visit the OP. I'd sure do it if I could.
Haha, I could relate to your reply here a lot, my brother has an 09 G8 GT and man that thing pulls quite nicely, it does have power to spare but not like my sedan is left much behind it when we both raced each other except he hada tune, I'm pretty sure if I had a tune we'd be even or I actually would be pulling on him, anyways yes the interior is is crude but nonetheless, still a nice car, and definitely catches some attention lowered on CTS-V wheels.

OP, I've been on the SS 6MT subject with my brother for a while now, and we've got to the conclusion that this is the best bang for the buck car, whereas a 2nd Gen CTS-V has less leg room in the back and in general is tighter inside, the thing that it's a rare car might be good thing, because it'll turn more people's heads, because of not knowing what it really is.

My brother is already planning to get one 6MT once his wife gets out of school.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
the thing that it's a rare car might be good thing, because it'll turn more people's heads, because of not knowing what it really is.
Not at all knocking the car, it sure is rare, and it has impressive specs (even more shocking is that it can come with a 6 speed), but aesthetically, don't think that car has a head turning design. Looks like a Malibu to me.

Some may say the G sedan is a sort of fly-under-the-car type car, think this Chevy SS is even more so. If there was a performance to looks ratio, this car would be top dog.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Get all the Holden badging and trim pieces on the outside, and people will wonder WTF it is.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 AM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Not at all knocking the car, it sure is rare, and it has impressive specs (even more shocking is that it can come with a 6 speed), but aesthetically, don't think that car has a head turning design. Looks like a Malibu to me. Some may say the G sedan is a sort of fly-under-the-car type car, think this Chevy SS is even more so. If there was a performance to looks ratio, this car would be top dog.
The understated appearance was part of the appeal to me (and it seems a lot of other SS owners as well). You're either an auto enthusiast and know what this car is (and I have received a fair amount of compliments from this type) or you're not and think it's an Impala or Malibu. I like seeing the look on people's faces in a crowded parking lot when that "Impala" starts up and makes Corvette noises
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
I've been away from this string for a while... good to see some others here own one too.

Alot of good points have been made:
  • Yes it does look like a Malibu to the casual observer. However a car guy would definatly look and say something is not right with that Malibu.
  • On the SS Forums some call it the Impalabu
  • The car is decidedly not a Chevy. It was designed, tested, and built by Holden. Yes they are owned by GM but they worked fairly autonomously on the VF version of the Commodore (Chevy SS in Australia). It is so not a Chevy that Chevrolet offer the Hoden conversion kit on the Chevrolet website as "accessories" for the SS.
  • It is power assisted steering as others have said. I think the steering feel isnt bad, but not as sporty as the G.
  • The handling however is superior to the G. Cadillac's MRC helps the 2015's a great deal over the 2014's.
  • The SS is not break your neck fast. Sure, it's faster than the G, but not by alot.
  • Lots of mods availabe for the SS. With it having a LS3 (last years Vette engine) there's lots of stuff available from CAI's to Superchargers to high flow exhausts.
  • If you don't like the chrome, full blackout kits are available.
  • The tech in the SS is superior to my base G and about equal to my second FX35. Lots of things it has that even the FX didn't have and it was a $50+ car when new.
  • The brakes ... i didn't thing anything would be as good as the G's but the SS with it's stock Brembo's all around is superior.
  • Sleeper status... unmatched in this category
  • Rarity - a hidden perk. My car was one of 3168 total built for 2015. They made about the same in 2014. It is one of 523 with the option/color combo i have. This car will hold its value well.
  • Fit and finish - interior. Matches the G. Remember - not a Chevy.
Attached Thumbnails BYE, bye G37, Hello SS-back2.jpg  
AroundTheG37 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
downgrade
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
downgrade
Disagree.

I'm going to see what the 2016 brings to the table.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
downgrade
How do you figure? I'd say the SS is better than the G in most ways.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
How do you figure? I'd say the SS is better than the G in most ways.
Performance - SS.
Handling - SS, but I prefer lighter cars and the G's hydraulic steering.
Interior - G, but close.
Fit and Finish - probably G but jury is still out.
Looks - G.
Reliability - G but jury is still out.
Sound - SS.
Exclusivity - SS, unless talking about manual equipped sedans.
Mod ability - SS for performance, G for looks.
Bang for buck - Wash but I do believe the SS should be priced around 40k and not 45k.

With that said, both are awesome cars and its easy to see why someone would want either one of them.

To you SS owners, please throw some exhausts on those bad boys and show us what a car is really supposed to sound like.

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 08-19-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea
  • It is power assisted steering as others have said. I think the steering feel isnt bad, but not as sporty as the G.
  • The handling however is superior to the G. Cadillac's MRC helps the 2015's a great deal over the 2014's.
  • The SS is not break your neck fast. Sure, it's faster than the G, but not by alot.
  • The tech in the SS is superior to my base G and about equal to my second FX35. Lots of things it has that even the FX didn't have and it was a $50+ car when new.
  • The brakes ... i didn't thing anything would be as good as the G's but the SS with it's stock Brembo's all around is superior.
Nice points, but you're also comparing the SS to the non-performance version of the G37--your all season tire equipped Journey.

The S with the sport suspension, fixed piston brakes, and fast ratio steering would be a better comparison, although the SS would undoubtedly stomp it in a straight line.

I like the SS, but I don't see it as enough of an upgrade over my G37S to drop $45K on it.
ToeKnee Sea (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Performance - SS.
Interior - G, but close.
Looks - G.
Sound - SS.
Bang for buck - Wash but I do believe the SS should be priced around 40k and not 45k.

With that said, both are awesome cars and its easy to see why someone would want either one of them.
Yep. I would agree with this compare. Mod the RWD G37S somewhat, and the scales get more even still.

I should really like to test-drive the SS 6MT. However, in the half dozen Chevy dealerships around here, there is literally one SS available. Only one. And it's a lame automatic, so no point.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Performance - SS.
Interior - G, but close.
Looks - G.
Sound - SS.

With that said, both are awesome cars and its easy to see why someone would want either one of them. To you SS owners, please throw some exhausts on those bad boys and show us what a car is really supposed to sound like.
Big bang for the buck is one of its strong points. Equip a 3 or 5 series, A6 or S6, Hyundai Genesis sedan, or a 4 series or S5, or whatever they call the M50 now, with the same specs as the SS and see where those prices end up.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:38 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

downgrade
Remember - not a Chevy.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea
Hyundai Genesis sedan
Ah, the Genesis R-Spec... now there's an apt comparison. Good thinking there.

Quick Reply: BYE, bye G37, Hello SS