Sponsored by:

BYE, bye G37, Hello SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice pick up. If I was in the market for a new car, it would be a SS.

Auto or 6MT?
i got the auto. it's a fairly large car and i drive in alot of traffic in the mornings. i just didn't want to row my own - lazy i guess. i'm an old dude lol.

It has a sport mode, a shift gate and paddle shifters. i'm down with that.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The lack of styling in chevy stealth-mode can easily be overlooked if you could row your own gears through a high-hp drivetrain, so that's disappointing, OP...

...says the old dude with a 6MT.

Oh well. Still a great car on paper. Wouldn't mind reading your comments on how it drives when you turn off TC and run a few launches from a standing start, or toss it into a sweeping turn. Big, heavy cars with gobs of HP can be lots of old-school fun. That magnetic ride suspension is supposed to be pretty awesome.
The following users liked this post:
ToeKnee Sea (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
I like the SS quite a bit. It's really a shame that they aren't selling too well, because it's a great car from what I've been told

Congratulations on the new vehicle

Nick C.
ToeKnee Sea (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
I like the SS quite a bit. It's really a shame that they aren't selling too well, because it's a great car from what I've been told

Congratulations on the new vehicle

Nick C.
Yeah there are so many reasons for that - none of them make alot of sense.

First off - the car is made in Australia. It is sold down there as a Holden Commodore SS. - The one they ship here is just about the same as the Holden SS - SSV trim. They are only making and sending 3500 cars here per model year so any marketing tidal wave of demand would be unsupported by the supply.

Part of me thinks GM only does it to qualify the car for their NASCAR template. As soon as they switch the NASCAR car to an Impala, Camaro, or Malibu. You won't see the SS being brought here any more. it accoounts for 0.35% of Chevy car volume and 0.13% of total volume.

it will however be a sleeper collectors car in about 10 years.
Diode Dynamics (05-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I step away from the forum for a couple of months, and now local G37 drivers are jumping ship

Nice new ride...I've grown to like the SS. I only discovered its existence about a year ago when the wife was at the Chevy dealer shopping for a new cae.
ToeKnee Sea (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I like em. I had a 6.0 GTO 6spd previously...the SS seem very rare, don't think I've ever seen one on the road
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

It is nice when you put your foot down, it doesn't think about it - it just goes.

Someone asked for interior photos... I didn't take these but they all look the same
Attached Thumbnails BYE, bye G37, Hello SS-image.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 04:20 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

One of four HUD screens
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Last one
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm starting to like this car more and more

How about some launch videos for us.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by botlfed98
don't think I've ever seen one on the road
You probably have, and didn't know the car wasn't a Malibu.

Very much like the '04 GTO, if you didn't know what you were looking at, you'd swear it was a G6. The imported GTO and the Chevy SS are cars that get double-takes, but only from people who know what they are. For some, that's part of the appeal, and I get that. For others it cheapens an otherwise awesome car, and I get that too. Either way, it's a personal thing.

I've always loved the GTO, so I suspect in person I'd like this SS, too... slushbox notwithstanding.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea
I cross shopped the Audi S5, the BMW M235i, the new Mustang. The S5 i still love but to equip it the way i wanted - it pushed the price well in the $50's. Even the M235i did the same. It is small and i really don't love the looks.

I really liked the Mustang. Fully equipped it hit the mid-$40's but no sunroof option was a non-starter for me. with no rear windows that open and no sunroof i couldn't do it.

Oh the SS only comes with three options besides the color, a full matching spare, a sunroof and 6MT vs. Auto. All other electronics from NAV to forward lane warning and blindspot, HUD, WIFI, etc, all come standard. its is not over $50K - they sticker for $48940 - i paid much less than that with my discount.
Seems like a hell of a pkg for sub $50K!

I'd try to test drive a 6MT one, but stupid dealers in my area have the AT listed as MT on autotrader

The sort of "clunky" exterior proportions do make the SS seem like a boring cruiser, but I bet with that V8 it's a blast to drive. Interior seems just OK from the photos.

It's all relative though. I think the same could be said about the G sedan, particularly by those with sportier sedans (S4, M3, etc.)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Seems like a hell of a pkg for sub $50K!

I'd try to test drive a 6MT one, but stupid dealers in my area have the AT listed as MT on autotrader

The sort of "clunky" exterior proportions do make the SS seem like a boring cruiser, but I bet with that V8 it's a blast to drive. Interior seems just OK from the photos.

It's all relative though. I think the same could be said about the G sedan, particularly by those with sportier sedans (S4, M3, etc.)
yes, some would say the G sedans exterior is pretty basic as well. i stilled liked it though.

i think seeing it in person helps too. once you see those fat tires and the way the fenders flair and the body angles to the front. the seats are very comfortable.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You probably have, and didn't know the car wasn't a Malibu.

Very much like the '04 GTO, if you didn't know what you were looking at, you'd swear it was a G6. The imported GTO and the Chevy SS are cars that get double-takes, but only from people who know what they are. For some, that's part of the appeal, and I get that. For others it cheapens an otherwise awesome car, and I get that too. Either way, it's a personal thing.

I've always loved the GTO, so I suspect in person I'd like this SS, too... slushbox notwithstanding.
True. But it's possible not to have seen one. There's only about 5000 of them in the US at the moment.

The GTO was the Monaro in Australia. I think they still make it.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea
True. But it's possible not to have seen one. There's only about 5000 of them in the US at the moment.

The GTO was the Monaro in Australia. I think they still make it.
There is a black one in my neighborhood. Previously the guy had a G8 GXP. So there are at least a couple in charlotte. Ive also seen a red one rolling around in Matthews.

Quick Reply: BYE, bye G37, Hello SS