Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Taking the plunge with a blower!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Taking the plunge with a blower!

Have a 2010 G37x sedan with 50K miles. Getting the itch for a new car but didn't see anything that thrilled me. Tried a Vette, but interior way too cramped. Decided to hang onto the G and make it more fun. Working with a shop in Rogers, MN called DB Performance. They are a Stillin authorized shop. Getting the Stillen SC, Oil & Tranny cooler, and a Level-10 shift kit. As soon as I get a solid dollar amount I'm making the visit. Real close to that now.

Funny thing, Kyle from DB planned on using a GTM valve body. He said that he called them and things sounded weird--as in bad vibes. I had just emailed him that day to avoid GTM and use a Level-10 shift kit. I was planning on having GTM do the whole thing until I read about their troubles here and on the 370z forum.

Can't wait to see the old girl fixed up and fly! Only mods I've done thus far are a Tanabe Medallion exhaust, subwoofer re-do, and paddle shifters. Maybe I'll get it painted with Dupont Imron. I'll post an update after it's done!

Last edited by Tuckermaclain; 04-03-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:01 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
Maybe I'll get it painted with Dupont Imron.

I know little to nothing about most of what you speak of, but do know a thing or two about paint and don't think Imron is the direction you want to go. Its durable as heck, used primarily on semi trucks and trailers, boats, aircraft, locomotives and train cars, farm & construction machinery, etc. where a durable & presentable finish is preferred. Presentable is the key word.

If the cost doesn't deter you, the results should. My dad has been painting aircraft for 30+ years. He can get Imron Elite & 5000/6000 to lay down with the best of them, but no way in heck would I have any of it on my car. Not when Centari or 1000 other products will look better for 1/3 the money.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

I just emailed a paint shop for an esimate. They use DuPont. I asked for it to be repainted with "the most chip resistant and durable" Dupont paint, including bumpers. What would you recommend? I am not a paint guy. I thought epoxy would be the toughest. What would you recommend for it? I think the Elite is an enamel. I thought the old Imron was epoxy, but I'm not sure
Old 04-03-2015, 12:34 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
DuPont Corlar is epoxy, which is used on building exteriors and floors, those huge oil storage tanks, heavy industrial stuff and so on. All Imron is a polyurethane enamel, Elite is a "line" of Imron like 5000, 6000, etc. Neither you want on a car like ours. A 4x4 truck, maybe.

I mentioned Centari which is showing my age - I meant Nason. I think DuPont also is behind Spies/Hecker automotive paint, but I'd still go with Nason, which like Centari and Spies/Hecker is an acrylic enamel - car paint. I have a friend who owns a body shop & they use Sikkens brand and its just as nice as anything else.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see progression. We need more F.I applications for our cars.

I know F.I is coming out with their T.T setup and Single Turbo, and Stillen is great already. Make sure to get the Uprev tune, which from I've read is better from Stillen.

G/L
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Have a 2010 G37x sedan with 50K miles. Getting the itch for a new car but didn't see anything that thrilled me. Tried a Vette, but interior way too cramped. Decided to hang onto the G and make it more fun. Working with a shop in Rogers, MN called DB Performance. They are a Stillin authorized shop. Getting the Stillen SC, Oil & Tranny cooler, and a Level-10 shift kit. As soon as I get a solid dollar amount I'm making the visit. Real close to that now.

Funny thing, Kyle from DB planned on using a GTM valve body. He said that he called them and things sounded weird--as in bad vibes. I had just emailed him that day to avoid GTM and use a Level-10 shift kit. I was planning on having GTM do the whole thing until I read about their troubles here and on the 370z forum.

Can't wait to see the old girl fixed up and fly! Only mods I've done thus far are a Tanabe Medallion exhaust, subwoofer re-do, and paddle shifters. Maybe I'll get it painted with Dupont Imron. I'll post an update after it's done!
That's awesome. That's exactly how I feel right now. Was thinking of a CTS-V, but I think I'm going to stillen s/c mine too. I recently learned these motors are tougher than I once thought. People run TT kits on them with stock top and bottom end pushing 600+ hp. The stillen SC won't be as wild, but it's good to know the motor can handle the supercharger with some reserve left for longevity and reliability, and still be fun as heck to drive.

I would plan to do your exact setup, but I never thought about needing to upgrade the 7at. But after looking up the shift kit you mentioned, I think I would have to do that as well. Glad I ran across that. Well worth the money.

I just emailed a paint shop for an esimate. They use DuPont. I asked for it to be repainted with "the most chip resistant and durable" Dupont paint, including bumpers. What would you recommend? I am not a paint guy. I thought epoxy would be the toughest. What would you recommend for it? I think the Elite is an enamel. I thought the old Imron was epoxy, but I'm not sure
I just had my left rear quarter panel and front bumper repainted and my guy used PPG "Deltron" I believe it was called... I think it's this right here, and they offer it in different grades, but he said it was the best, so I'll just throw that out there in case someone else can speak for it. PPG Refinish - Deltron®

For my front bumper "sport lip", he said he's going to go over it with an epoxy because it's low to the ground and it will help with the rock chips. He said just that piece though, nothing else on the bumper. He hasn't returned the lip to me yet, but soon we'll see how it turns out.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:20 AM
scohen158

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please share what your cost is for this when you have a solid number. Parts and labor I am thinking about doing this in my 2013 g37x sedan.

Good luck with the project. I only care about the blower, engine and trans coolers as well as the Level-10 transmission upgrades.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project.
OP, have you considered a vinyl wrap rather than paint, they've got some amazing color options now, and you can easily change it up or revert back to stock if & when the time comes.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

He didn't give me a solid $ amount. This is what I've been able to figure out:
Stillen SC $7,000. Setrab motor oil cooler $500. Stillen tranny cooler: $310
Level 10 shift kit $700. 20 hours of labor (he did give me that estimate) $2,400. So, I'm guessing about $12,000 with tax and shipping.

Other cars I thought about were a Vette Coupe (about $60K), a 370z touring coupe (about $40K), and a Genesis Coupe Ultimate (<$35K). I really liked the Genesis. I know it's a Hyundai, and on the forums they are said to rattle a lot. The thing that kills me is that the engine doesn't seem to be able to take a lot of added HP w/o internal mods.

The G37x 7AT SC will be thrilling and a real sleeper. I can't wait to give some guy in a Vette a good look at my tail lights! In a few years it will probably be my Winter car when I get the next gen 370z or whatever. We have snow in Omaha and RWD isn't fun. The G will be waaay too much car to give to one of my kids.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like an awesome project.
OP, have you considered a vinyl wrap rather than paint, they've got some amazing color options now, and you can easily change it up or revert back to stock if & when the time comes.
I don't know anything about vinyl wrap, but a great car shop in town gave me a WAG of $7,500 for a complete redo of my paint with DuPont polyurethane. My paint isn't that bad to where I want to sink that much into it! I for sure will get the front bumper redone from 5 years of chips, but I don't know about $7,500 in paint work.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I don't know anything about vinyl wrap, but a great car shop in town gave me a WAG of $7,500 for a complete redo of my paint with DuPont polyurethane. My paint isn't that bad to where I want to sink that much into it! I for sure will get the front bumper redone from 5 years of chips, but I don't know about $7,500 in paint work.
Not sure what a job like this would cost, probably in the $2k range I'm guessing, and like I said, many more color options out now in wraps.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...ml#post3504383
Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Good luck OP Good kit, Keep it in the stock trim and enjoy it. I as happy with mine. The only thing I didnt see you adding was gauges, You need, Boost, AF, oil temp and trans temp.

Wrapping I was quoted $1800 on my sedan,
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Good luck OP Good kit, Keep it in the stock trim and enjoy it. I as happy with mine. The only thing I didnt see you adding was gauges, You need, Boost, AF, oil temp and trans temp.

Wrapping I was quoted $1800 on my sedan,
Were you able to install the guages yourself? Could you access the sensors without much trouble? Did you have to install any sensors? And finally, where did you put the the guages?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:14 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I mounted the gauges under the glove box and on the side where the passengers knee would lean( Rt side of the radio) I had 02 sensor installed in the exhaust but I wired it up, The oils and trans temps I had done by a shop. When the install the oil cooler there a spot for the oil temp sensor so do those at the same time. The trans temp was a tuff one cause they had to tap the pan.Which means you need to change out the trans fluid. The shop will need a special tool to do this so I would check they have one. The Boost I installed on my own also. I " think" I have a pic floating on here were I put my gauges.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Wow I found them, LOL This was prior in install my AF gauge but went in the same place under the red guage: The red gauge was my trans temp. The Prosport EVO digital gauges you can change the sceen colors

Best spot to hide your gauges on a G35 - Page 17 - G35Driver

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge with a blower!