G37 Sedan

G37 Sport 2010-2013 Model Year Differences

Old 03-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Kevn23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 Sport 2010-2013 Model Year Differences

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a G37 6MT any time now. I can't believe they discontinued the manual option for the Q series!

My question is, are there any differences at all from '10 (when they did the minor updates) to '13?

Any particular year I should avoid?

I am looking at some CPO models with around 20K miles and they are around 30K.

Some extra info, I will be modding it with lots of bolt-ons.

Last edited by Kevn23; 03-31-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
The 6MT was always a unique model: Journey, AWD, 6MT.

Journey/Sport gave you everything you get with the 6MT, except for the manual transmission.

AWD Sport (xS) was an appearance package only. Not so on the Coupe, but on the Sedan... just looks.

I believe starting in 2011, the 6MT Sedan came standard with Premium and Nav packages. Prior to that, those were optional; (although usually on the car anyway.)

The 6MT Sedan is rare. I was at my dealership today, and the Service Manager told me mine was the only one they have current service records for. However, if you cast your net nationally, you should be able to snag one. Don't expect to find one CPO, however. CPO is more marketing than anything else, and will cripple your search if you're looking for a rare car.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Kevn23

Originally Posted by Rochester
The 6MT was always a unique model: Journey, AWD, 6MT.

Journey/Sport gave you everything you get with the 6MT, except for the manual transmission.

AWD Sport (xS) was an appearance package only. No sport found.

I believe starting in 2011, the 6MT came standard with Premium and Nav packages. Prior to that, those were optional; (although usually on the car anyway.)
Thanks! I meant to say the 6MT.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
all G37S 6MT sedans are mechanically identical from '09-'13. so from a mechanical standpoint there are no "bad" years in that range - all years are roughly the same for reliability.

the mid-cycle refresh in '10 revised the from and back ends and some interior trim, and the Navi display was revised. i believe the '11+ lost the hard drive for music storage.

you are correct the 6MT sedan was dropped for '14 in both the Q50 and G37/Q40. the only current option is the Q60S coupe 6MT (and maybe the vert). too bad for those of use who like Infinitis with 4 doors and a stick, but you never know what mid-cycle update will bring us for the Q50. a smaller turbo engine from M-B is rumored. perhaps a manual option will return to the spec sheet??? i would like that as an option since i'll be looking for something new(er) in the next couple years...limited choice out there right now. the new baby Jag XE sedan comes with a manual though, and looks great from what i've seen so far...
Old 03-31-2015, 03:34 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
There were no updates on the coupe or Sedan from 2011 to 2014. In 2014, the coupe's name was changed to "Q60", so therefore your carpet mats and trunk emblem say "Q60" instead of "G37" and thats about it.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
One thing I noticed when I was shopping in 2013 is that many of the 6MTs I ran across here in Socal were really well taken care of as this particular model seems to attract enthusiasts. I agree with Rochester that you shouldn't limit your search to CPOs, not for this model. And to be honest, our cars are well known for reliability. Squeaks and rattles, yes, it's still a Nissan, but no real major big ticket problematic issues to speak of...
Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
i believe the '11+ lost the hard drive for music storage.
That happened in either 2012 or 2013... my '11 has the 9 gig music box.

Related to this topic, 2009 was the last year for the CF Slot. That was a strange feature indeed.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevn23
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a G37 6MT any time now. I can't believe they discontinued the manual option for the Q series!

My question is, are there any differences at all from '10 (when they did the minor updates) to '13?

Any particular year I should avoid?

I am looking at some CPO models with around 20K miles and they are around 30K.

Some extra info, I will be modding it with lots of bolt-ons.
FWIW, if you stuck with a 2012 or later model, you'd avoid any potential for a rare, but costly flaw with the gaskets on the rear timing cover oil galleries on these cars. The gasket were improved beginning with the 2012 model year.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Kevn23

Originally Posted by socketz67
One thing I noticed when I was shopping in 2013 is that many of the 6MTs I ran across here in Socal were really well taken care of as this particular model seems to attract enthusiasts. I agree with Rochester that you shouldn't limit your search to CPOs, not for this model. And to be honest, our cars are well known for reliability. Squeaks and rattles, yes, it's still a Nissan, but no real major big ticket problematic issues to speak of...
I am looking everything now and there just aren't many of them around it seems...

Also cross shopping the E90 M3, but leaning more and more towards the G.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
You will have a better selection if you look at used 335is. These cars are by no means a slouch.

The M3s are nice, but most of them I see for sale were ridden hard and put away wet if you know what I mean. You would be better off to find a nice 335i that was pampered by some middle aged guy like me.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
About CPO warranty ... I just took my '11 6MT in for bad 5th and 6th gear synchros. that's something you don't want to pay for out of your pocket.

I've come close to buying a 335 multiple times, last time (when I bought my 6MT G) was an '11 IS with the twin turbo engine. I love that engine but the more I researched the reliability, the more I was convinced that it can bleed you dry if you let it get out of warranty.

Greg
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kevn23
I am looking everything now and there just aren't many of them around it seems...
You need patience to locate an uncommon car. That's just the way of things.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Kevn23

yeah, i for some reason like the M cars more. Also a higher reving NA engine. patience is so hard lol
Old 03-31-2015, 11:01 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I'm sure the prestige and high performance of the BMWs are the main draw.

To me the G sedan does not have nearly the road presence that a BMW M or Audi S type of car has, but it brings the practicality and value to the table that Euro cars will probably never offer.

I was strongly leaning toward B8.5 S4 when I was in the market, but I couldn't justify the higher upfront cost AND higher maintenance/lower reliability.

Guess I'm too accustomed to Japanese auto ownership, but I just don't have the time nor want to fork over the $$$ for service that I know I would feel would be excessive.

Good luck in your search, provided you're not that concerned with the image/status that the Euro cars may achieve, you'll likely be very happy with a 6MT G sedan
Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Kevn23

Originally Posted by STownSaint
I'm sure the prestige and high performance of the BMWs are the main draw.

To me the G sedan does not have nearly the road presence that a BMW M or Audi S type of car has, but it brings the practicality and value to the table that Euro cars will probably never offer.

I was strongly leaning toward B8.5 S4 when I was in the market, but I couldn't justify the higher upfront cost AND higher maintenance/lower reliability.

Guess I'm too accustomed to Japanese auto ownership, but I just don't have the time nor want to fork over the $$$ for service that I know I would feel would be excessive.

Good luck in your search, provided you're not that concerned with the image/status that the Euro cars may achieve, you'll likely be very happy with a 6MT G sedan
Agreed, agreed, and agreed. I used to have a E39 M5 and I installed a SC on that thing, probably one of the funnest cars I have ever had. I remember I bought a working light so I can wrench in the garage at night.

Now I still enjoy mods but not so much the constant maintenance. It's funny I am looking into mods for the G now and I thought man it's so cheap!
My first car was a Acura so I have a soft spot for Japanese cars as well! The G pretty much has everything I am looking for in that somewhat high reving nice sounding V6, RWD, pretty luxurious interior and Japanese car reliability, and the must have 6MT. The only thing I dislike somewhat is the trunk.. how the rear bumper sticks out more than the tail end.. the duck bill spoiler remedies it somewhat but still. oh well.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Last edited by Kevn23; 04-01-2015 at 12:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (04-02-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37 Sport 2010-2013 Model Year Differences