G37 Sedan

G37 Sport 2010-2013 Model Year Differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Good luck in your search, provided you're not that concerned with the image/status that the Euro cars may achieve, you'll likely be very happy with a 6MT G sedan
If image and status are a consideration, then I submit the BMW has reached an undesirable critical mass, by virtue of the overwhelming number of office-park posers who drive them... M3 notwithstanding. And for that matter, the little-known 335is.

By that measure, the G37S 6MT is positively stealth-like. Something somewhat unique in the market, but only the driver knows it. And in a larger sense, that's what I appreciate about the G37S 6MT... it's a worthy car that can fly under the radar in the larger collection of cars that aspire to be a Sport Sedan.

In a nutshell, cars that project image and status are for people insecure in both. That may be harsh, but hey...car forum.

Uh-oh. This just became another G vs 3-Series thread. My bad.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
I've come close to buying a 335 multiple times, last time (when I bought my 6MT G) was an '11 IS with the twin turbo engine. I love that engine but the more I researched the reliability, the more I was convinced that it can bleed you dry if you let it get out of warranty.
You and I are in the same boat. I've come close to buying one so many times as these cars are a joy to drive and I actually enjoy the practical nature of the interior.

The 335i is every bit as connected to the road as the G, but the powerband of the N54/55 is intoxicating. It just feels like that car has power to spare almost anywhere in the powerband (whereas the G needs to wind up). BWM really does a great job on their Turbo implementations and minimizing the lag, but like you mentioned, these cars have issues beyond the drivetrain and could cost you a fortune outside of warranty. I have Bimmer fanbois as friends an many of them have jumped ship as well.

Nonetheless, there are folks with these cars that stay in front of the known issues (BMW is rock solid when it comes to warranty coverage of know items) and have very few problems outside of warranty, but there is always some risk.

Last edited by socketz67; 04-01-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

The 335s lack of a limited slip differential and the ugly single piston sliding calipers really turn me off.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevn23

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. I used to have a E39 M5 and I installed a SC on that thing, probably one of the funnest cars I have ever had. I remember I bought a working light so I can wrench in the garage at night.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwHD-gdQZOk

Now I still enjoy mods but not so much the constant maintenance. It's funny I am looking into mods for the G now and I thought man it's so cheap!
My first car was a Acura so I have a soft spot for Japanese cars as well! The G pretty much has everything I am looking for in that somewhat high reving nice sounding V6, RWD, pretty luxurious interior and Japanese car reliability, and the must have 6MT. The only thing I dislike somewhat is the trunk.. how the rear bumper sticks out more than the tail end.. the duck bill spoiler remedies it somewhat but still. oh well.

Thanks for all the info guys.

A little bit off the topic:

Oh Lawd... that is one sweet E39 M5... those cars NA are already sick as they come, and you had yours SC'd... my brother test drove a few and wanted one badly, but couldn't justify the cost of maintenance of one and the reliability, knowing VANOS gets quite expensive to repair as well as many other things.

I have a 2013 G37S 6MT sedan myself and I love it, every bit of it, except for the retarded non reclining back seats and I'm sure there was something else but I forgot, but now knowing you had a supercharged E39 M5 , there is no way this car will make up for the performance of the M5, let alone a Supercharged one, so once you end up finding one you might end up supercharging that too or going TT. Good luck with your search

A bit more back on the topic:

One difference I found out a while back after I got my sedan is that, after 2012 ( not sure if 2012 included ) or just 2013 6MT models no longer came with Aero package option ( rear deck lid spoiler, front sport chin spoiler, mud guards, I think that's it)

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 04-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My 11 6mt is for sale if your interested. not a CPO car but still in bumper to bumper for another 2 weeks.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
One difference I found out a while back after I got my sedan is that, after 2012 ( not sure if 2012 included ) or just 2013 6MT models no longer came with Aero package option ( rear deck lid spoiler, front sport chin spoiler, mud guards, I think that's it)
I didn't know there was an Aero Package... Weren't those body trim pieces optional on all model G Sedans?

(Mike, I think you misquoted that post.)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:56 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If image and status are a consideration, then I submit the BMW has reached an undesirable critical mass, by virtue of the overwhelming number of office-park posers who drive them... M3 notwithstanding. And for that matter, the little-known 335is.

By that measure, the G37S 6MT is positively stealth-like. Something somewhat unique in the market, but only the driver knows it. And in a larger sense, that's what I appreciate about the G37S 6MT... it's a worthy car that can fly under the radar in the larger collection of cars that aspire to be a Sport Sedan.

In a nutshell, cars that project image and status are for people insecure in both. That may be harsh, but hey...car forum.

Well, when I mentioned image/status, I didn't necessarily mean it in a socioeconomic or "my car costs $XX,XXX" type of way.

Don't think it's fair to automatically say that someone is insecure if they buy a car for a certain image.

Driving an ///M or S car pretty loudly advertises the driver's presumed interest in cars. Sure there are folks that drive S4s and M3s that aren't enthusiasts (same with exotics), but think its fair to say that most are, and their choice of car makes that apparent. In other words, lets say someone picks a car that is relatively closer associated to motorsport/enthusiast crowd (ex. G sedan vs S4) because that's is who they identify with, I don't think it's a sign of insecurity, rather a form of self-expression.

And I agree that both the 6MT G sedan is built for enthusiasts and that it slips under the radar because it is visually nondescript. And I think that says something about the drivers, too.

(excuse the over-analysis, I'm sure you can relate)
The following 2 users liked this post by STownSaint:
Kevn23 (04-02-2015), Rochester (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S

FWIW, my MY2013 came with mud guards, black grille, and spoiler, but no front lip. Aren't these all dealer (or "port") installed options anyway?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kevn23
My god you did yourself a disservice getting rid of that car.

E39 M5 is by far my favorite BMW, and yours looked/sounded terrific
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Kevn23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the 2013 only come in Black or Platinum Graphite? Where are the Silver and White cars? Maybe they are still on lease and haven't returned yet?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, the Sport Appearance package on the Journey Sport consisted the Rear Deck Lid Spoiler & Midnight Black Grille. Like someone already mentioned, these can also be purchased separately as accessories.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The last year that had the Music Box was 2012. It was only good for ripping Audio CDs at 132kbps anyway, so not much of a loss but still a nice-to-have. Certainly comes in handy at certain moments.

I'd more watch out for the TSBs. Early 2012s and earlier had bad tail lights that would chip the paint on the trunk.

Color options varied throughout the years.
And if you're figuring to keep the car for a little longer, a newer car is newer rubber (and i dont mean just tires). Being able to put off bushing replacements for a year is a year of pain felt later.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 PM
HEUGE
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still would have preferred the musicbox option that did not come with my 2013.

As for color options, there was a selection but few were inventoried near the end. I missed-out on a malbec black that was at a nearby dealership and the day my car came in (black), a white G37s was sold as it came off of the transport.

I wonder if I'm one of the lowest-mileage '13 6MT G's now with under 7K miles. I guess I need to take some long road trips this summer.