G37 Sedan brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 AM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
MrTLFsr- I have an 11sport sedan(auto) and needing brake pads soon, any info on the shop you used? As I'm in Bay Area as well...
My co-worker has a shop in Largo, on the corner of Ulmerton and Belcher. He usually works on cars starting around 4:00 in the afternoon. He's a great guy and will be up front about everything. I can get his contact info if you need it.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
definitely- im soon to be out of warranty etc and will(plan on) keeping this car for some time, so really wanting and needing to find a good, honest shop, so appreciate if you send me the info and will check them out.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:43 PM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
definitely- im soon to be out of warranty etc and will(plan on) keeping this car for some time, so really wanting and needing to find a good, honest shop, so appreciate if you send me the info and will check them out.
I sent you the contact info. Check out your PM's.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (04-04-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Cicero55
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Is that price for the single piston caliper or the two-piston Akebono?
Surprisingly, the Journey has 2 piston calipers in the front. Is the BBK a 2 piston in the rear???
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Cicero55
Surprisingly, the Journey has 2 piston calipers in the front. Is the BBK a 2 piston in the rear???
Yes the Akebono BBK is a 4pot/2pot setup, and the base floaters are a 2pot/single pot.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:12 PM
TQN.G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for the intrusion

hello there I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone happen to know the set of Akebono brakes that go on a 2013 journey sedan...there seems to be mutiple sets out that all say they are compatible. My apologies I do not mean to hijack the thread. Thanks for the time.

*this question is for the non BBK parts.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by TQN.G37
hello there I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone happen to know the set of Akebono brakes that go on a 2013 journey sedan...there seems to be mutiple sets out that all say they are compatible. My apologies I do not mean to hijack the thread. Thanks for the time.

*this question is for the non BBK parts.
Welcome to the site, not really sure what you're asking regarding Akebonos, that's the company that makes the BBK, but also makes ProAct brake pads. If you're wanting the Akebono pads for your Journey you need the ones for the 320mm front rotor 307mm rear rotor. If you meant something else shoot a reply.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM
TQN.G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to get the Akebono pads for the front and rear and seems that for the front pads there are more than 1 set deemed as compatible for my vehicle. I was just wondering if anyone happen to know which set particularly fits for me. I bought the ACT1346 but when i went to do the install noticed that they were not right. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 PM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed these last weekend. tough to beat for the price and smoother than stockers.

Brake Kits - Slotted & Cross Drilled Kits
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-03-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:09 AM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fennsta_78
Just installed these last weekend. tough to beat for the price and smoother than stockers.

Brake Kits - Slotted & Cross Drilled Kits
I honestly wouldn't trust drilled rotors that were that cheap.

I'm not familiar with the brand, nor have I kept up with the latest parts after my shop closed. They could be good, but with all of the cheap Asian Junk that is floating to our shores these days, most of it not even built to DOT approved standards, I wouldn't take the risk. At least the stuff sold by a reputable online site like Rock Auto needs to be legal for our streets.

When you're looking at brakes, you don't want a bargain. Remember, these are the things that stand between you and an potential accident. Brake parts are definitelly not the parts to cheap out on.

Drilled rotors crack, so do slots unless they were cast into the blanks when they were created before the heat treating and hardening processes. I've seen a lot of cheaply drilled rotors which basically mess up the heat treatment at the molecular level so they become brittle and crack. My Porsche comes with drilled rotors from the factory, and even they're starting to crack.

If you need the look, stick with slotted, which don't mess with the structure of the disc near as much... or look for slotted and dimpled rotors.

Most real racers order regular blanks without drilling or slotting for their race cars. The out-gassing of the pads that required them in the first place is not really present in modern friction materials, and the regular blanks will dissipate heat much more efficently.

Sorry... years of driving customer DIY "modified" cars that were just plain scary and unsafe kind of puts me on the soapbox. The customers I always respected the most were the ones that came to me and said I want to go faster, but I need to brake better first.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
If you want to go with slotted or drilled because they look alot better (I agree), than you should stick with a reputable brand like Centric or StopTech (their performance brand). They will cost a little more, but were talking about brakes, one of the most important safety items on the car next to the tires and airbags.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 AM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

If they were that bad they wouldn't sell them due to lawsuits. It's a litigious society.. Make your own choice. 1000 miles on em so far and no problems.

1354 people have rated them 4.8 out of 5 in the past 12 months.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:55 PM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
If they were that bad they wouldn't sell them due to lawsuits. It's a litigious society.. Make your own choice. 1000 miles on em so far and no problems.

1354 people have rated them 4.8 out of 5 in the past 12 months.
Like I said in my first post... I don't know this brand, and quite frankly, I don't really care enough to find out more about it...
The point I'm trying to make here is that you are trusting one of the most important safety systems in your car to a manufacturer who may or may not give a rip whether you live or die with their product.
I was involved with the daily operation of a tuning shop for 5 years, two of those as a part-owner and manager, and I handled parts of all types and quality... plus saw enough garbage from eBay come through that I could tell you horror stories that would keep you awake for the rest of the week.
We finally had to implement a "approval policy" on customer supplied parts because of the stuff that was coming in just wasn't safe, and in good conscience, we couldn't install it on a customer's vehicle. Trust me, a lot of shops wouldn't do this, because we also were the shop that fixed the other shop's work when they installed said parts on the customer's car and then shrugged when they had issues. I could write pages on this but I won't.

If you buy on the internet... it's Cavet Emptor, because honestly you really don't know what you're paying for. There's a big difference between a part that was designed from the ground up to work safely on your vehicle, and a physically similar part that will fit, but doesn't have the engineering behind it. And in these cases, it's difficult to even track down who's responsible if there is an issue, and since most of these parts will be part of a DIY install, the companies involved can shrug and say that you installed the parts wrong or they were labelled "for off-road use only" somewhere on the literature of packaging. BTW, if you install something labelled "for off-road use only" it's an illegal modification and you are liable if you drive that vehicle on the street.

Most shops, if they will install customer-supplied parts, will probably not warranty the install because they didn't supply the parts. There are literally thousands of parts available so they can't be familiar with them all, it's impossible, so unless they've had a bad experience with a brand, they may just shrug and install it and as long as it fits, then they'll trust that the company's done their part to ensure it will work when installed correctly. I don't know too many mechanics that will sit there and spend the time looking up a part to see if it's legit, though I'm hoping that they would if they weren't familiar with the brand.

Like I said when I started out, this company could be legit, and could be providing a well-engineered product for an amazingly low price. Or they could be reselling some crap they bought in China and deleting every complaint that comes into their site and having their friends give the products good ratings. If a lawyer shows up, they point to the fine print and say that the product was installed wrong and the lawyer goes away because there's no way that they can irrefutably prove that you didn't screw something up when you installed it, and if a shop installed it for you, then they have their own ways of limiting their liablity in the matter if they didn't supply the part themselves.

I honestly hope that these are good parts and the company stands behind them... but the reality of the situation is that there is NOTHING in place to prevent it from being otherwise except being a smart consumer.
The following 3 users liked this post by WolfSongX:
Epiphany (08-31-2015), Riley (10-29-2015), VIVID (08-31-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WolfSongX
Like I said in my first post... I don't know this brand, and quite frankly, I don't really care enough to find out more about it...
The point I'm trying to make here is that you are trusting one of the most important safety systems in your car to a manufacturer who may or may not give a rip whether you live or die with their product.
I was involved with the daily operation of a tuning shop for 5 years, two of those as a part-owner and manager, and I handled parts of all types and quality... plus saw enough garbage from eBay come through that I could tell you horror stories that would keep you awake for the rest of the week.
We finally had to implement a "approval policy" on customer supplied parts because of the stuff that was coming in just wasn't safe, and in good conscience, we couldn't install it on a customer's vehicle. Trust me, a lot of shops wouldn't do this, because we also were the shop that fixed the other shop's work when they installed said parts on the customer's car and then shrugged when they had issues. I could write pages on this but I won't

If you buy on the internet... it's Cavet Emptor, because honestly you really don't know what you're paying for. There's a big difference between a part that was designed from the ground up to work safely on your vehicle, and a physically similar part that will fit, but doesn't have the engineering behind it. And in these cases, it's difficult to even track down who's responsible if there is an issue, and since most of these parts will be part of a DIY install, the companies involved can shrug and say that you installed the parts wrong or they were labelled "for off-road use only" somewhere on the literature of packaging. BTW, if you install something labelled "for off-road use only" it's an illegal modification and you are liable if you drive that vehicle on the street.

Most shops, if they will install customer-supplied parts, will probably not warranty the install because they didn't supply the parts. There are literally thousands of parts available so they can't be familiar with them all, it's impossible, so unless they've had a bad experience with a brand, they may just shrug and install it and as long as it fits, then they'll trust that the company's done their part to ensure it will work when installed correctly. I don't know too many mechanics that will sit there and spend the time looking up a part to see if it's legit, though I'm hoping that they would if they weren't familiar with the brand.

Like I said when I started out, this company could be legit, and could be providing a well-engineered product for an amazingly low price. Or they could be reselling some crap they bought in China and deleting every complaint that comes into their site and having their friends give the products good ratings. If a lawyer shows up, they point to the fine print and say that the product was installed wrong and the lawyer goes away because there's no way that they can irrefutably prove that you didn't screw something up when you installed it, and if a shop installed it for you, then they have their own ways of limiting their liablity in the matter if they didn't supply the part themselves.

I honestly hope that these are good parts and the company stands behind them... but the reality of the situation is that there is NOTHING in place to prevent it from being otherwise except being a smart consumer.
For a guy who claims not to give rip, you sure spent some time on that retort. Go troll someone else's post. If anyone is basing a decision from 1 person online they are a fool.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

For a guy who claims not to give rip, you sure spent some time on that retort. Go troll someone else's post. If anyone is basing a decision from 1 person online they are a fool.
That's far from being a trolling post, that's his opinion based on his personal experience. That's what these forums are for, gaining & sharing experience for what works and what doesn't, and what might and might not. Anyone can choose to ignore or heed another's advice, so it is what it is.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan brakes