Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying but Distinctive humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM
_GH0ST_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying but Distinctive humming sound

Hey guys, I did a search on this and did not see any answer related to my issue. I drive my car daily (08 G35x) back and forth from home to work. On occasion I'll do some spirited speeding to work after traffic clears up reaching speeds of over 80+, on the drive home cruise control at 60 the whole way. Just yesterday traffic opened up and I was using the Manual mode for the duration of the speeding and when I got off the highway after about two lights I pushed the shifter back in the (D) mode and heard this very faint humming sound. I only hear the humming after 35mph, it gets a bit louder as I accelerate then as I slow down it sorta wines down as well, it's coming from the front of the car and can kinda feel it steering wheel slight vibration that is very very slight. Now my car shifts with out error and I don't punch it like that. Can anyone give me any ideas of what it can be or if anyone has had a similar issue.
Thanks

Last edited by _GH0ST_; 03-25-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:51 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be a bad wheel bearing.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM
sriniG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! I was searching the forums and the internet for this exact same problem on my 11 G37S which has been driving me mad! At times I even thought I was probably just imagining it
I notice this sound on my car when I'm not playing any music (or low vol) with windows rolled up. I took it to the dealership many times and they were never able to fix it. All I know is it sounds like its coming from the front of the car. But I have never been able to pin point the exact source.

I'm going to ask the stupid stealership to check the wheel bearings as madmax2k1 suggested.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:50 AM
nick_oh_lie

Originally Posted by _GH0ST_
Hey guys, I did a search on this and did not see any answer related to my issue. I drive my car daily (08 G35x) back and forth from home to work. On occasion I'll do some spirited speeding to work after traffic clears up reaching speeds of over 80+, on the drive home cruise control at 60 the whole way. Just yesterday traffic opened up and I was using the Manual mode for the duration of the speeding and when I got off the highway after about two lights I pushed the shifter back in the (D) mode and heard this very faint humming sound. I only hear the humming after 35mph, it gets a bit louder as I accelerate then as I slow down it sorta wines down as well, it's coming from the front of the car and can kinda feel it steering wheel slight vibration that is very very slight. Now my car shifts with out error and I don't punch it like that. Can anyone give me any ideas of what it can be or if anyone has had a similar issue.
Thanks
Originally Posted by sriniG37
Wow! I was searching the forums and the internet for this exact same problem on my 11 G37S which has been driving me mad! At times I even thought I was probably just imagining it
I notice this sound on my car when I'm not playing any music (or low vol) with windows rolled up. I took it to the dealership many times and they were never able to fix it. All I know is it sounds like its coming from the front of the car. But I have never been able to pin point the exact source.

I'm going to ask the stupid stealership to check the wheel bearings as madmax2k1 suggested.

Like a "rotating" humming sound right? I have the exact same problem! My car is a 2015 and first month or so sound was not there, I noticed it after the first day of me taking the car to the canyons. On the way back I noticed a humming sound after 60 mph, but only when windows are up. Can't figure out what it is either
Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Alucard
Registered Member

My 13 g37x sedan has a distinct hum on the highway as well, usually around 75mph. It sounds like it's coming from the DS front wheel. Dealer installed new bearing, and it has new Goodyear sport a/s tires and fresh alignment. Car has 29k.

I had a loaner q40x w/8k that made the same noise. That tells me that it's a common issue and could be "normal".
Old 12-12-2015, 11:42 PM
Mr.Grant

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I hear a humming noise to when on the highway driving over 60. I though it could be the tires or bearing. Now I wonder since we all have awd g's I wonder does it have something to do with the awd system?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:47 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Awd systems have problems with bearing issues all the time. Like one of the posters said in the second post, it's probably a wheel bearing issue.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Swaj420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could be the re-bro joint on the drive shaft. I was getting a humming or booming sound at about 75 to 80 mph. The rearview mirror would shake as well making visibility out of it low. check this TSB out.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB11-019.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (05-31-2023)
Old 12-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I had to change a wheel bearing at 34K. Seems like a common issue.
therzdae (01-28-2016)
Old 11-06-2021, 05:04 PM
G37818
Registered Member

Low humming above 60mph

I just bought a used 2009 g37x 88000 used from a dealership overall the car looks great runs great and sounds great but at 60 mph i just noticed while my windows are up i hear a low humming sounding like its coming from behind but when the windows are down i cant hear anything sounding like its from outside. i don't believe it to be the wheel bearing but i will have it looked at by my local mechanic. saw people on this forum have similar questions didnt know if it was forsure a wheel bearing or if its a common thing to happen.
The sound doesnt grow or get louder as i accelerate just stays the same
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Ponyryd
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by G37818
I just bought a used 2009 g37x 88000 used from a dealership overall the car looks great runs great and sounds great but at 60 mph i just noticed while my windows are up i hear a low humming sounding like its coming from behind but when the windows are down i cant hear anything sounding like its from outside. i don't believe it to be the wheel bearing but i will have it looked at by my local mechanic. saw people on this forum have similar questions didnt know if it was forsure a wheel bearing or if its a common thing to happen.
The sound doesnt grow or get louder as i accelerate just stays the same
If you turn the steering wheel slightly left or right (change lanes sharply or take and off ramp) does the noise change? if so it’s very likely a wheel bearing.
Rich11G37xS (06-15-2023)
Old 11-06-2021, 08:20 PM
G37818
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ponyryd
If you turn the steering wheel slightly left or right (change lanes sharply or take and off ramp) does the noise change? if so it’s very likely a wheel bearing.
I didnt notice anything but I’ll check on my way home from work and see if I notice it thank you for the quick reply!
Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 AM
AWilson136
Registered Member

Help

Has anyone figured out the problem. I replaced my wheel bearings and the noise is still there.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:46 AM
G37x Capt

Still searching

[QUOTE=AWilson136;4312909]Has anyone figured out the problem. I replaced my wheel bearings and the noise is still there....

I have a 2013 G37x AWD with about 102k miles on it and for the last few months same issue. I had the front wheel bearings replaced and it significantly helped with the vibration but I still have the noise and light vibrations in the steering wheel at 40mph >....mechanic told me the additional issue is coming from the Drive shaft bearing....haven't had that work done on it yet but will soon...hoping that's it but only time will tell
Old 05-14-2023, 10:01 PM
peterso2
Registered Member

Any updates to the issue ? I have this from 30 mph to 60 mph —- just changed out a wheel bearing did nothing. Worried it’s internal to the transmission

Quick Reply: Annoying but Distinctive humming sound