Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

door wouldn't shut....now it won't open

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
door wouldn't shut....now it won't open

Got in my car just now. Unlocked door....got in....tried to shut door....wouldn't shut. Tried to shut door....wouldn't shut. I figured, "Oh...my seatbelt must be hanging out of the door and its bouncing off that."

But it wasn't. My seatbelt was in its correct retracted position.

So I get out of car...and shut the door.........it shuts. But now it will NOT open. The other three doors all open and shut, lock and unlock fine. But the drivers door....no luck.

When I hit the lock/unlock button....the switch on the door moves......but the door is locked and shut permanently I guess haha.

I am now getting in and out of the car through the passenger door and climbing into the drivers seat like a fool.

Only other option is through the window like Bo and Luke Duke

Please help
Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Sobbie84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think thats a G thing

I think that usually happens when its cold out.. i guess once the door/lock is cold thats what happen.. it happenes to me.. had to get gas and i had to crawl Through the other side... embarrassing having a luxury car and for u to do that... anywho when that happened to me i just drove for 5 to 10 min and then finally opens.....
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 AM
PENROSE

Well.....its 2 degrees right now. After the 45 min drive home?......everything works fine again..................for now

Googled this problem and read horror stories about dealers charging 600-900$ for lock mechanism replacement or cable snapping issues.,....

Hopefully I won't have to deal with that

Last edited by PENROSE; 03-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:12 AM
SlickVic

Same thing happens to me, but i jus learned to deal with it. It only happens in very freezing temps, and getting car washes makes it extremely worse. But once the interior gets warm it starts to work again.

Only way to fix it permanently is buy paying $700 at the dealer for the whole locking mechanism. So good luck, an avoid washing your car if you know the rest of the day is goin to be temps below 20 degrees.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Gshadow37X
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The same thing happened to me this morning, but both my front doors refuse to open. So at 6 feet tall, I had to crawl from the back seat into the front drivers seat just to get to work, embarrassing to say the least. This is an entry level luxury car, and to say the very least I am pissed. I am curious whether or not the door lock and actuator replacement would be covered under Infiniti's extended warranty.

Tony
Old 03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Gshadow37X
The same thing happened to me this morning, but both my front doors refuse to open. So at 6 feet tall, I had to crawl from the back seat into the front drivers seat just to get to work, embarrassing to say the least. This is an entry level luxury car, and to say the very least I am pissed. I am curious whether or not the door lock and actuator replacement would be covered under Infiniti's extended warranty.

Tony
lol dont be so pissed...this happens in EVERY brand, regardless of make or monetary cost of the vehicle. You cannot defy the laws of mother nature.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Gshadow37X
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I have an update. Called the dealership and I was told that they will replace the locks and actuators under warranty which is strange because I have an extended warranty, no mention of a deductible. The temps have warmed up a bit, and now the doors perform as normal. Thanks chilibowl for calming me down, this hasn't happened on colder days than this, but I guess that I was just lucky-LOL!!!

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Gearratio
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always spray inside door with silicone spray often then it won't frezze up works really good but u have to do every time u wash car preferably before u do it
Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Gshadow37X
Well I have an update. Called the dealership and I was told that they will replace the locks and actuators under warranty which is strange because I have an extended warranty, no mention of a deductible. The temps have warmed up a bit, and now the doors perform as normal. Thanks chilibowl for calming me down, this hasn't happened on colder days than this, but I guess that I was just lucky-LOL!!!

Tony
Any update on this? I.e. has it happened again?and what did the dealer replace?

This happened to me last year to my rear passenger door. after one really cold winder day and I kept trying keep the door shut by force.
Now from the outside the door doesn't open at all but from the inside it does.

I read on a forum post somewhere that it may be part of the locking mechanism that needs to be "lubricated" but the process looks time consuming. I tried using spray silicone lubricant but no go. My only other thought is the actuator...I have seen some from salvage/eBay at about $60.00 online but was wondering if you or anyone reading this might have had any solutions or thoughts.

One thing I found helpful were the DIY's on removing door panels in other threads in trying to look at the mechanisims.
I cant imagine that its something that will be $500.00 in work to fix. so thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:17 PM
sgagnon78

Have the same problem. The doors are opening at first, when I try to close them they won't close, they just like rebound on the car. Press the lock button on the remote, press unlock, close the door, it closes. But now it don't want to open. It looks like the mechanism of the door do not respond well when outside temperature has a drop... Before trying to close and open the doors I had started the engine, so after 90 minutes with the engine running, with the sun warming the car, the doors finally opened again.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
When that happen to me, I was told by the dealership to bring the car into an underground parking lot and let the whole car defrost, that was in 2012. I never listen to them, ever since I've never had problem with the car and no car wash in the winter lol.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 PM
ericxd

It is winter. I am having this problem at the moment. I am letting the car warm up but no luck. I've owned couple a cars before this and Infiniti being the most expensive of the the bunch...to have this happen, this is pretty sad. Im out of warranty on a 2012 and I'm reading that it would cost a couple hundreds to fix a lock mechanism, this is not acceptable.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:41 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
All these winter threads remind me why I live in NC.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
All these winter threads remind me why I live in NC.
Didn't it snow there yesterday?

Telcoman
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM
bryan_p

It's -12C (10F) here in Ottawa now. We had a bout of freezing rain after Christmas then a deep freeze. My driver's door latch mechanism is now frozen. Same symptoms as other people have reported. I have noticed that some mornings there is resistance when the exterior door handle is pulled the first time then goes slack on subsequent pulls. When I get in the car, the door won't stay shut initially but if I bang the top edge of the door liner then it eventually does shut. At that point, the door won't reopen and I have noticed that there is no resistance when I pull the door latch from the inside. This leads me to believe that either the latch cable is frozen in it's sheath or the latch spring is frozen.
I don't want to bring it to the dealer and have them replace expensive parts that don't need replacing. I don't understand why after all this time there is no solution for this problem.

Bryan.

Quick Reply: door wouldn't shut....now it won't open