Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my 3rd G...first g37s...review

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Red00lght

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Bought my 3rd G...first g37s...review

I recently purchased my 3rd G. In the past I owned a red G35 07 journey, and a white G35 08 journey w nav. They were lost through a divorce. I tried other cars, but missed the Infinity. I found this 2013 G37s loaded with sport, nav, wood, and even the tech package and 19k miles. It was more than I wanted to pay but was the cleanest G I had seen.

The good...I like the updated body style of the later models. The front end looks much more modern. The build quality seems a bit better too than my 35s...less rattling but I do have low miles so time will tell. The mpg is about 2-3 mpgs better than the g35s I had as well.

The bad...My car is kind of sluggish for a g37. I have driven alot of them as loaners and my best friend has one and they all pull harder than mine. My car has fresh filters, I've cleaned the t-bodies, reset ECU, etc...but still kinda sluggish. I put in z tubes and AFEs and it helped a tiny bit but still not where it should be. Any ideas? It does run perfectly smooth. Just feels....heavy.

It is my first sport package. I love the wheels, better brakes, and better handling, but it seems more darty on the highway (alignment is fine but maybe from the Hancook tires?) and the brakes have that infamous loud squeal backing out of a spot in the AM.

The tech package is ok. The auto wipers can sometimes go crazy, and in Miami the radar cruise is useless because people always cut you off at close distance so the car slams on the brakes. I just deactivate it and use regular cruise.

I was also surprised to see the music box gone, as well as the power lumbar replaced by a lever on the side of the seat? Cost cutting?

Ok...sorry for the venting. I do love the car, but was surprised at a few things. Onto the (cell phone) pics!!

Name:  g37_zps1tphwexb.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  77.0 KB

Next to my 03 Lightning

Name:  g37%204_zps1kjzpxk8.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  49.9 KB

Carsmo ***** on...nice!
Name:  g37%205_zpsczwxjrlp.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  48.7 KB

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ nice ride and welcome! a true S sedan! you raise some good points, and thoughts shared by many on the forum. too bad about the attrition of your former G's, that's rough.

the S package comes with some great mechanical bits that do a lot more than just the cosmetic items on the xS sedans. in particular the steering ratio and VLSD come in handy.

when i switched from my '04 G35 6MT sedan to the '09 6MT i swore the G37 felt slower, like it was softer down low in the RPM. in other words, less "torquey" than the G35. even though the G37 is heavier by 1-200lbs, all testing numbers say it is still faster than the G35. i just expected more from a 60hp boost. but 200lbs neds more grunt to get moving off the line and the G37 did not get much of a torque increase from the G35. the pull after 4k RPM is certainly stronger. if you've done the service items mentioned above you are probably just adjusting to the new ride. it is what it is.

if your car is "darty" on the road it could be due to the larger, lower profile tires. or perhaps your alignment is off?

carsmo ***** FTW, for sure.

and i've also had the brake squeal in reverse when cold even after 4+ years of ownership. i've changed my rear pads and rotors with no change so the problem is definitely on the fronts. when it comes time to replace your brakes going aftermarket will most likely solve the problem. even just an aftermarket OE-replacement.

the music box and power lumbar are nice. i didn't realize they did away with the power lumber. like you said, must be cost cutting in both respects.

oh, and it is Infiniti, not Infinity.

enjoy the new ride. i suspect we'll see a lot more of you around here if you've already started with the Carsmo *****. next up: sways, GTR start button, illuminated kick plates, lose the pinstriping (in 2nd photo?), vinyl wrap of window trim, and on and on...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I literally have the exact same car but with 32k miles. Picket it up last week. I have similar thoughts on the seats (all those options, but none of those options). Car is bi=polar with options (electric steering column but only a 2gb hard drive???). My car feels very quick...5.2 seconds 0-60~. I'll be taking it to the 1/8 in a few weeks to verify.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Red00lght

Thanks guys. Yes...the pinstripes were the first thing to go. I'm not planning on many mods cause the lightning eats up my mod money greedily.
Maybe this motor will loosen up some more with more miles.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Red00lght
Thanks guys. Yes...the pinstripes were the first thing to go. I'm not planning on many mods cause the lightning eats up my mod money greedily.
Maybe this motor will loosen up some more with more miles.

Welcome

what are your plans for the pinstripes removal? easy off??
Old 03-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Red00lght

Actually they are already off (my 2nd pic was an old one). I called the stealership and gave the detail guy 20$ to do the job. Came out perfect and he worked for hrs. Best 20 I ever spent.
Oh...another mod I did was I replaced the sport seat w a journey on drivers side. I'm 6'7" and the sport was just too tight. I even cut the lower bolster bars out but the seat back was also a problem.
Once the journey seat was in I loosened the front seat track bolt for more headroom and was finally fitting good. It was a mission....haha
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
nethole
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious how it looks with the new seat. I have to admit, long trips in the sport seat aren't the most comfortable thing. Pictures of your new 'seat' in your car, please
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Actually they are already off (my 2nd pic was an old one). I called the stealership and gave the detail guy 20$ to do the job. Came out perfect and he worked for hrs. Best 20 I ever spent.
Oh...another mod I did was I replaced the sport seat w a journey on drivers side. I'm 6'7" and the sport was just too tight. I even cut the lower bolster bars out but the seat back was also a problem.
Once the journey seat was in I loosened the front seat track bolt for more headroom and was finally fitting good. It was a mission....haha
Whooaa?!? $20!!

how you do that? or because you had purchased the car from them? can i get that offer (normal price..i dunno)?

i noticed most S have pin-stripes. so old looking.. i need to get rid of mines (just enjoy that emotion)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
i have an 11 same as yours, except for the aluminum vs wood, i like the aluminum look as it lightens up the dark interior, at least for me. i also had an 09 journey and there are times that i felt the 09 to pull harder, my s currently has no mods , so not sure, but still a great car, just a pain to keep clean. enjoy your new ride- also curios on the seat swap, as I m 6'2" and no problems with the seat and i like to be able to make all the adjustment it offers, so i like...
Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Red00lght

The seat swap worked out really good in my case. Part of my issue is I've had 3 major back surgeries and a hip replacement (too much lifting in college came back to haunt me). I find the journey seat much more comfy. It isn't as supportive in turns, but in Miami the only turns are normally exit ramps.

No one has ever noticed that I have a non-sport seat on the drivers side. The only thing that stood out to me at first was the stitching is black instead of white. I got over that in about 3 seconds. I kept the sport headrest since it was in nicer shape.

I was careful to get a seat from the same year off of ebay. Make sure if you do swap them to cover or remove all nearby trim and protect the door. The seat is hungry to scratch everything it can possibly touch on the way out. The harnesses worked with no modifications.

Name:  20150303_105545_zpsiy1il0wm.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  20150303_105631_zpsff0ujgtr.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Why didn't you swap both seats? Aside from the mismatch, I'd think your passengers would be interested in being comfortable, too. Are you keeping the old seat? Very curious decision, although sport seating isn't for everyone; I get that.

What you did here certainly makes for some interesting small talk about the car whenever someone new gets in.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Glad you now have a car you can be comfortable in, and as long as you don't mind the labor to reinstall the Sport seat when you sell/trade it sounds like a win for the home team!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Red00lght

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why didn't you swap both seats? Aside from the mismatch, I'd think your passengers would be interested in being comfortable, too. Are you keeping the old seat? Very curious decision, although sport seating isn't for everyone; I get that.

What you did here certainly makes for some interesting small talk about the car whenever someone new gets in.
The passenger sport seat isn't as restrictive as the drivers side seat and mine was in better condition that the used one. They really don't look mismatched in the car unless you are really inspecting them.
The nice thing is I'll have a basically new drivers seat to put back in at sale time.
Would've been easier if I had just bought an SUV....haha
Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The passenger sport seat isn't as restrictive as the drivers side seat
You sure about that?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting note about it feeling sluggish. You should time it to confirm or correct your feeling.

I had 2 G37s for a while - my wife had a 'normal' journey, and I had the 'S'. The 'S' felt slower to me. It felt heavier too. I clocked both (using the torque app) - both had similar times. But my wife's car felt like a beast! I never quite figured out what made my car feel different - greater up-sprung weight? suspension? Sound? Not sure..and I never took it any further.

Swapped the drivers seat? That sounds ambitious to me! Yes - the Sport seat is somewhat confining. But...I really thought the passenger seat was the same?

Power Lumbar - meh...mostly that is a set 1x and forget?

Oh - and I always thought my 'S' was a little 'darty' on the highway. It wasn't tramming...I had 2 different sets of tires (Original RE050 and Michelin PSS) and the experience was the same. Alignment was fine for me as well. It just felt like it needed constant correction to stay in a straight line. You DO see occasional comments on this issue on the board now-and-again...

No more music box - yes, that was a licensing situation...they had to get rid of it mid-2012.

Good Luck w/your new G - enjoy!

Last edited by MalbecG37S; 03-03-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought my 3rd G...first g37s...review