Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Major problem on my sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Good idea Jsolo. Might as well try that first that way you don't have to return the part to the parts store if it turns out not to be a coil. In my experience those codes have always been coils (5+ different vehicles of mine, friends and families). I usually just get a coil and play the swap a coil game and have had 100% success rate, but that may not be the case for the OP.

OP did the dealer give you the codes they found?
Old 03-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Halo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off thanks everyone for the responses. This whole situation has me so upset and frustrated.

So anyway I picked my car up saturday late afternoon and the only person there to talk to was some older lady. She was the one I had to pay the bill to. The day before I dropped it off there was a ton of service guys there. There was 2 papers she gave me to take home, the receipt and some sheet that said PO300 multi-cyl misfire and a little data underneath. On the receipt the the description says PO300 misfire. No response from cylinders 1,3,5. Can hear bank one cat converter rattling inside. Most likely cat material ingested into engine.

So I am not an idiot when it comes to cars, but I am no mechanic either. I have had my share of "cool" cars in the past, and have wrenched on them a little. Mainly just the basic bolt on parts though. I hear what you guys are saying about the coil packs, and I can do that. But what scares me is about the cat converter. When I first bought the car last july I pulled it right in my garage and changed the oil and filter. Well underneath I noticed my whole exhaust system was a pile of rust, and the cats shields were like over 75% gone/rusted off. So I figured eventually I had to get that replaced. So should I just bite the bullet and order new cats and an exhaust and install it before I test the coil packs? I definitely hear rattling near my one cat, I do not want any more cat debri going into my engine. Or should I just check the coil packs first?

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Halo
When I first bought the car last july I pulled it right in my garage and changed the oil and filter. Well underneath I noticed my whole exhaust system was a pile of rust, and the cats shields were like over 75% gone/rusted off. So I figured eventually I had to get that replaced. So should I just bite the bullet and order new cats and an exhaust and install it before I test the coil packs? I definitely hear rattling near my one cat, I do not want any more cat debri going into my engine. Or should I just check the coil packs first?

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.
Not trying to be an *** here but you didnt look the car over before purchasing from a "shady" looking dealer. Then you say you did this when you first bought the car, why was this not addressed back then? Just seems like this may have been avoidable?

As for your question, no doubt I'd try the coils first. Much cheaper option than buying cats and an exhaust. Best of luck either way.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Halo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Not trying to be an *** here but you didnt look the car over before purchasing from a "shady" looking dealer. Then you say you did this when you first bought the car, why was this not addressed back then? Just seems like this may have been avoidable?

As for your question, no doubt I'd try the coils first. Much cheaper option than buying cats and an exhaust. Best of luck either way.

No offense in your post.

I made a big mistake buying this car. I blame ONLY myself. Just a little info in what happened when I purchased this car. It is all in the past and no way will I name the dealership or slander them. It was July 4, 2014 and me and my wife took over a 2 hour drive to this dealership. I have been looking at buying a G for like a year at the time. I had it in my mind I was not leaving without a "new" car. I went to buy/look at a 2011 G37x sedan, but ended up electing not to buy that car. So the salesman tells me we have a 2009 g37x, and that was over 3k cheaper. At this point me and my wife are the very last people there and they are trying to close the dealership. So I need to make a quick decision whether to just drive the 2 plus hours home empty handed or just take a chance and buy the car without looking it over. The salesman was really pushy so I just faltered and agreed on the deal. Again, this is ALL my fault. I was driving this older Altima for so long and was ready for an upgrade. I should have just walked away. There were other extremely shady things later the next day about the car and the paperwork me and my wife noticed. After emailing them a few times about certain findings, they never returned our emails or called us.

Anyway it's all in the past. I do like the car a lot, just do not like the bland front end. Haha. I like the 2010 and newer front ends much better. I am off of work Thursday so I will work on it then and let you guys know what I find out.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not able to connect the dots between a catalytic converter that rattles a few misfire codes and a new engine. WHY do you need a new engine? What was damaged if the cat material did get ingested? Did they do a compression test or a cylinder leak down test?

Is the engine burning a lot of oil? That's a telltale sign of worn cylinders which would occur if cat material had been being sucked back into the engine.

Brian
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a second opinion, the codes and shaking and flashing CEL indicate misfires.
I can't see converter material moving backwards into the engine, I would think if that happened, the engine would be making some pretty nasty sounds.

Sounds like someone at the dealership bought a new boat and a payment is due.
The following users liked this post:
slovell1 (06-23-2019)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So does your car shake and throw codes all the time or does it come and go. If it comes and goes, under what conditions does it occur? If it runs poorly all the time, there is a chance that misfires are caused due to lack of compression which would be caused by ingesting of cat material.

If it comes and goes, then I don't know how one could claim a new engine is required.

Brian
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Halo
Registered Member

So I dropped my car off this morning to this guy my brother recommended to me. Well he fixed my car by 1:00! I am super excited, especially since the Nissan dealership said I needed a new motor, and they charged me $95 for a scan and that is all they did.

Well when my brother called me and said go pick it up it's fixed, I was like no way! So I got to his shop and walked in and immediately saw some very expensive cars on lifts and a beautiful big shop. I talked to him a little and he went over all the stuff he looked over and fixed. He was awesome and said a lot of people will try and rip you off and take your money. I have to go to work in a few minutes so I can not explain everything now, but it only cost me $300 to fix everything and that includes all the labor and spark plugs and a tune and a few other things he did. That is so much better than a new motor.

Oh yeah the shake in steering wheel is gone, he said a belt broke in tire. Runs smooth now.

Thanks everybody for all the replies. More money for mods now!!!
The following users liked this post:
slovell1 (06-23-2019)
Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's great news. Make sure to tell us exactly what needed fixing when you find some time. Very curious.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Very very good news indeed
Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Oh man. I'm glad you got it fixed.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 PM
jman09

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
glad you were able to get it sorted. interested in hearing about the details.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:52 AM
G37XSER

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Any update on what was found to be causing the problems, inquiring minds want to know.

David
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
So now that you don't have to budget for a new motor~

LET THE MODDING BEGIN!!!

That's great news
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Halo
Registered Member

Sorry took a bit to reply, I have been getting forced in to work on my days off and working all these extra hours. I have not talked the the mechanic since he fixed it, and I know he talked to me about a few things then. I guess the main problems were the spark plugs were wet and fouled, he left them out for me to see when I got there. I do remember he said the air filters looked like they were never changed either. I am actually heading over to his shop later to talk to him about a few mods, I will ask him if there was anything thing else which was causing the misfires.

Brad- You are correct, and just in time for summer!!! Thanks so much for all your advice and recommendations. You have been so helpful, but also make it so difficult. Just when I think I have it decided on wheels... Hahaha. I going to send you a pm. I have to tell you something funny about another mod I am getting done.

Quick Reply: Major problem on my sedan