G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DD or Not?
Yes, the G is my DD.
84.89%
Yes/No, I have another car that I DD in the winter, but I DD my G in the summer.
7.19%
No, I have another car that I DD, but I drive my G on the weekends.
7.91%
No, I only track my G.
0.72%
No, I only show my G.
0.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Your G: Daily Driver Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Karnidge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why wouldn't you daily drive it? It's not like it's a $900K Porsche.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
My appropriate poll response isn't listed - the G is the beater

I kid...
Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 PM
bsettles

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a v6 AWD Ford Fusion I have had for 8 years with 160k miles I DD right now. When it dies the G will move to the DD position.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
My 2008 G37S coupe is my DD and is a 6speed as well! My only car tho just found out I'm having my first kid so I'm debating on either switching il to perhaps a sedan I don't know how well it'll be with a baby seat and all
Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
My 2008 G37S coupe is my DD and is a 6speed as well! My only car tho just found out I'm having my first kid so I'm debating on either switching il to perhaps a sedan I don't know how well it'll be with a baby seat and all
Car seats fit fine. Yes, it's not an ENORMOUS amount of room. But we've had front and rear facing seats in mine and it's not a big deal. Front facing leaves PLENTY of room, and I need that because I don't like my daughter's feet on the back of the seats haha.

That being said...if I had a 3 car garage, I think I would pick up an Altima or something as an "oh there is 15 inches of snow and I still have to go to work" kind of car. Alas...I only have a 2 car garage...and I don't like parking my cars outside.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM
NJG37X

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought mine as a DD, for my 1.5 mile commute. After becoming the GM of two NAPA Auto Parts stores, I was given my owners back up ride a 2007 BMW X5. The BMW is not a bad work ride but I do miss driving the G everyday.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
tx_12g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wife & I work at the same place (20 miles away). we have a 2012 G37 and a 2009 Caddy CTS. The 2 cars share the work load.
CTS now has 54K miles...G37 has 30K. Both are very nice rides.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Or maybe because they have a need to have a more rugged, higher ground clearance vehicle for daily use in less then optimal driving conditions like construction sites and muddy roads? Or possibly because their job provides a company vehicle? Commute long distances and have something that gets 45 MPG on the highway instead of 22? Management/executive/sales position that has them driving several people around town or to lunch and they won't fit in the back of the coupe? Own several cars and can choose to drive whichever one they like on any given day? Car is slammed and roads aren't very hospitable to a lowered suspension? Garage Queen? Own another car they like driving better?

Mine is intended to be a DD but for a couple of the reasons cited above, it seldom is anymore.
Of course there are always exceptions but my point is the G is not special and never will be (concerning appreciation or collector status) so mileage concerns are not warranted which is a huge reason why some people park their cars until friday/weekend. Their cars are also usually niche in some way (2 seater, heavily modified, older, etc) so at the point it seems reasonable to do so. With that said, people can do whatever the hell they want with their cars so if they want to garage or daily it, so be it, it's their car/preference.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Of course there are always exceptions but my point is the G is not special and never will be (concerning appreciation or collector status) so mileage concerns are not warranted which is a huge reason why some people park their cars until friday/weekend. Their cars are also usually niche in some way (2 seater, heavily modified, older, etc) so at the point it seems reasonable to do so. With that said, people can do whatever the hell they want with their cars so if they want to garage or daily it, so be it, it's their car/preference.
Well I will tell you this much, I don't care if my car is a $5,000 car or a $500,000 car. In my mind, each and every possession is worth treating as if it is special, and in so doing, you will be more in tune with the the beauty of "have" instead of the mentality of "have not". It's a complicated, over-perplexing "glass is half-full" situation.

There is never only one reason why someone might do something. Just because X doesn't want to drive his car because of mileage due to collector status, doesn't mean that Y not wanting to drive his car because of mileage is also due to his car being collector status. It's like the school question where they say something like "If Brian is older than Susan, and Susan is older than John, than Brian is the oldest of the three". We can't apply that same type of logic here, because there are many more variables at work, and each person's ideas and perceptions relating to their possessions create an infinite number of possible variables. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, my car will never sit outside. Neither will my fishing pole, or my bowling ball, or my lawnmower, or my weed-eater; the list goes on and on. For me, it's not about the G being the most amazing car in the world...it's about it being "my precious".

But I digress; I dd my G, and if I had a Corvette and could afford to, I would probably dd it as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Well I will tell you this much, I don't care if my car is a $5,000 car or a $500,000 car. In my mind, each and every possession is worth treating as if it is special, and in so doing, you will be more in tune with the the beauty of "have" instead of the mentality of "have not". It's a complicated, over-perplexing "glass is half-full" situation.

There is never only one reason why someone might do something. Just because X doesn't want to drive his car because of mileage due to collector status, doesn't mean that Y not wanting to drive his car because of mileage is also due to his car being collector status. It's like the school question where they say something like "If Brian is older than Susan, and Susan is older than John, than Brian is the oldest of the three". We can't apply that same type of logic here, because there are many more variables at work, and each person's ideas and perceptions relating to their possessions create an infinite number of possible variables. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, my car will never sit outside. Neither will my fishing pole, or my bowling ball, or my lawnmower, or my weed-eater; the list goes on and on. For me, it's not about the G being the most amazing car in the world...it's about it being "my precious".

But I digress; I dd my G, and if I had a Corvette and could afford to, I would probably dd it as well.
I understand all that hence the reason I was only talking about collector status/resell ability. I'm with you on the car being special in it's own way to the respective owner because I never keep my car outside, only handwash, park far away, etc. However, I don't think that's a reflection of the car more than a reflection of the owner. Most enthusiasts types take extra care of their cars more so than others.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 PM
m0nster

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought my G as a DD hence the xs package. I had to buy a truck to tow stuff so that's my DD for the winter anyways. The only thing scaring me from driving the G all the time is the careless people that park at my work. Truck already has 2 new dings and I park in end spots. Cars get stolen and broken into constantly. 5000 spot parking lots suck.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My G is actually the winter beater, I have another car that I drive summer time.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by booster
My G is actually the winter beater, I have another car that I drive summer time.
C'mon man, it's a car forum! Details?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The G37x is absolutely my daily driver. Not special enough to be used in any other fashion.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 PM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
C'mon man, it's a car forum! Details?
Since you've twisted my arm, I actually have three cars:
2010 G37 (daily/winter)
2014 Pathfinder (wife's/family hauler)
2010 Saab Turbo X Sport Combi, 6-speed (summer), one of 17 shipped to NA.
It's a special edition, only made in 2008, only black on black leather with carbon accents. Lowered/tuned turbo v6 from factory, big brakes.
It's got a big turbo, custom intercooler and piping, exhaust, coilovers, brakes, aftermarket tune, and some other bits.

Quick Reply: Your G: Daily Driver Or Not?