G37 Sedan

Jack stand mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
To Hell with all this noise. I just dropped $234 for a set of 4 Esco Jack stands. I'm good on jack stands for the next 30 years.

So my only question now is...should I hang on to my 4 Torin double locking 3 ton jack stands? I can still return them to Northern Tool, for a $46 refund; I have yet to use them. Is there any use to these now? Would it make sense to use 8 jack stands at any point for extra support while under the car?

Old 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
$234 for Chinese made jack stands
Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 PM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
$234 for Chinese made jack stands
Lol...no, you can't borrow them

Don't worry, part of that includes us made shipping.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Lol...no, you can't borrow them

Don't worry, part of that includes us made shipping.
Its ok, I have my own Chinese made jack stands that I paid a made in China price for
Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
To Hell with all this noise. I just dropped $234 for a set of 4 Esco Jack stands. I'm good on jack stands for the next 30 years.

[B]]
How are these any better than the standard ones? They still don't have support for the pinch welds.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM
G37Xtreme

Its ok, I have my own Chinese made jack stands that I paid a made in China price for
There aren't many flat top jack stands to choose from.

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
How are these any better than the standard ones? They still don't have support for the pinch welds.
The flat top means I can put a hockey puck on the jack stand without having to fabricate some custom bracket to go on the standard v-notch jack stand.

I spent a good week trying to think of a way to SAFELY modify a hockey puck so that it would fit on top of my current jack stands. This was one of the better ideas I ran in to, but I don't have a scroll saw to make those intricate cuts so that it contours properly with the stand. In addition, there's nothing holding the hockey puck onto the stand. I would have added something to the sides so that it couldn't slip out. I almost went this route, but decided against it.

I also saw this option. I can't weld...if I could, I'd be all set. I like this idea too, but again, I can't weld. I could learn I suppose...but then I gotta buy equipment...

I've seen about 6 different ways to DIY the hockey puck onto a standard jack stand, but none of them would provide me with as much stability or security...not worth my life. Some of the options would require me to buy tools which would negate almost all my money savings. Scroll saw, or welding equipment...or a better saw blade so I can cut 2" square tubular metal...

In the end, last night...I decided that I needed a flat top on the jack stand. I wasn't going to try and custom fabricate a flat top bracket to accept the hockey puck and also safely latch onto my jack stands. If I was a CNC machininst, then I'd be able to make what I needed in CAD and then have it cut out.

I even looked for flat top add-on options that would work with my ratchet style bases, but couldn't find anything. Basically, take the center moving portion of your jack stand, and instead of the V-notch top, put something flat on instead. I'm not talking about modifying existing, I am talking about making them that way from the factory. I could then swap these out with my current ones if they fit the base.

I also would NOT use a standard ratcheting jack stand. The only ratchet style I will use the Torin Double Lock...why? Because it has a locking pin in addition to the ratchet, so you have extra insurance.

The least cost, yet safest way would have been to take my jack stands to a professional, and have him cut all of the V-notch tops off (exactly level) and then weld on a flat 3-4" round base of at least 1/4" plate steel.

However, in the end, I'd be spending money, and possibly time in order to recreate something that's already in existence. The Esco jack stands were the best option for me.

If I had about $600 to spend, I would have gone with a different jack stand, but it's not adjustable...however, it is pure badass. Your jack actually goes inside it, and when you lower the plate, it rests inside the jack stand.

Watch the video.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

If you have flat top stands, wouldn't it be easier to just put them on the frame rails and skip using the pinch weld/hockey puck all together?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Those jackpoint stands look pretty cool!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
G37Xtreme

If you have flat top stands, wouldn't it be easier to just put them on the frame rails and skip using the pinch weld/hockey puck all together?
Perhaps, but I like the idea of them being further from center. The frame rails I am visualizing are more than 1 ft in from the pinch welds.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
We clearly take our pinch welds very seriously around here!

For when not using the rhino ramps, I too went the hockey puck way. I did it a bit differently. Having no access to any power cutting tools, I used a coping saw (google it) to cut a puck in half. Using 2, 1.75" sheet metal screws, I screwed each half of the puck to another puck, allowing for a slit of ~ 1/4" in the middle. Did all 4 pucks like that.

When I need the wheels off, the pucks go in between the pinch weld and jack stand. The stands I use have a relatively flat base. There is minimal compression of the puck. The weight of the car is on the reinforced area to the sides of the pinch weld. No damage to pinch weld or other surround areas using this method. ymmv.

Edit, that one pic or video showing the jack stand to the side of the pinch weld is a disaster waiting to happen.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-23-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
12 Inch Wheel Cribs - Car Lift Ramps
Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by i heart ricers
Wow, that's some serious money for a block. That's something that I would DIY with wood before buying.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
4 old 4x4 tires would do almost the same thing, and they're free
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by blnewt
4 old 4x4 tires would do almost the same thing, and they're free
Not sure if my jack goes that high

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Keroro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's a good thread on 35driver starting w/ VQsmiles' reply 23
Safe Jack Stand Placement - Page 2 - G35Driver
Bummer, I guess thats not the way to do it...

There seems to be no solution then really for resting the car on the pinch weld on a jackstand.

My jack stands dont have a deep enough top to accomodate the pinchweld.

Quick Reply: Jack stand mounting points