Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I Pm'd Jethro he has a lengthy Fortune 500 Coilover review thread in the suspension & brake section. He has an X and didn't have any issues with his install. His ride eighth looks perfect too. I'm hoping he can shed some light. I'm going to post on that thread. More eyes and experiences the better.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I Pm'd Jethro he has a lengthy Fortune 500 Coilover review thread in the suspension & brake section. He has an X and didn't have any issues with his install. His ride eighth looks perfect too. I'm hoping he can shed some light. I'm going to post on that thread. More eyes and experiences the better.
Perfect. I'll look for it and be in for the replies.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Has anyone considered Swift springs and KYB GR=-2 Struts for the front and Koni's for the rear? My understanding is that the shocks for the X sedans are the same as the RWD sedans and Koni makes shocks that fit the RWD sedans so why wouldn't they work for the rears? If one were to go this route they could spend $300.00 for the Swifts, $90-100 each for the KYB's, $190-200 each for the Koni's and total out at around $900.00 or less shipped to you. I would imagine this could be a very solid setup coupled with Hotchkis sways and Whiteline rear end links and new Moog front end links. I'm starting to lean into this direction after reading your troubles. I live in the Northeast and need adjustability or a ride height that is modest enough so I can drive my car in the winter and Swifts seem to be that balance. 1" lower in the rear and 1.3" up front is not a massive difference in ride height. Also there should be no need for a camber kit, but if need be I'll get one later.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I would imagine this could be a very solid setup coupled with Hotchkis sways and Whiteline rear end links and new Moog front end links.
Why Moog front end links? Are they stronger than oem, or are they shorter for lowered cars?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Why Moog front end links? Are they stronger than oem, or are they shorter for lowered cars?
I trust Moog I've used their end links on several lowered cars in the past and never had one fail and in one case they were an obvious upgrade (much beefier than stock). IMO I'd rather try those than OEM. If they fail no big deal I'll buy OEM. They aren't that expensive.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I trust Moog I've used their end links on several lowered cars in the past and never had one fail and in one case they were an obvious upgrade (much beefier than stock). IMO I'd rather try those than OEM. If they fail no big deal I'll buy OEM. They aren't that expensive.
Are the oem end links aluminum? Compare the oem front awd end link with the moog. It looks to be as stout or more, but perhaps moog uses better bolts and the pivot joints are greasable...Also if aluminum, the oem could be weaker I guess.

OEM

Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install-k9si3yd.jpg

Moog
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

OK, Luke from THMotorsports just PM'd me. He emailed FA direct and they said they had a customer come back stating the same thing but he was running 20's. Ride height was too low for him so they swapped out the standard swifts with 8" swifts and he was happy. With 8" Swifts the lowest you can go in the rear is 2" below stock. That is more than enough adjustability for me as I never plan to go that low. I would need to have an increased spring rate in the rear to reduce the spring travel so I'm not bouncing all over the place. I'm still on the fence though, getting closer.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
^^That's good news for those wanting a drop that is easy to live w/ on a daily, nice job!^^
Old 02-09-2015, 09:00 PM
P'sLPG

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered my fortune coilovers last week. I went with the swift spring upgrade also with 11k/8k spring rates. Are you saying the 11k spring makes it sit too low? This is the first review I've heard anyone having a problem on the install

OK, Luke from THMotorsports just PM'd me. He emailed FA direct and they said they had a customer come back stating the same thing but he was running 20's. Ride height was too low for him so they swapped out the standard swifts with 8" swifts and he was happy. With 8" Swifts the lowest you can go in the rear is 2" below stock. That is more than enough adjustability for me as I never plan to go that low. I would need to have an increased spring rate in the rear to reduce the spring travel so I'm not bouncing all over the place. I'm still on the fence though, getting closer.

Last edited by P'sLPG; 02-09-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How low is 2", anyone have a pic of a sedan on coupe 19 dropped around 2"?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by P'sLPG
I ordered my fortune coilovers last week. I went with the swift spring upgrade also with 11k/8k spring rates. Are you saying the 11k spring makes it sit too low? This is the first review I've heard anyone having a problem on the install
Do you have an X sedan? Did you have any issues with the install? The main issue a few members have had is that the max rear ride height is too low for them. Flexibility is very important for most X owners as most live in regions that get snow. How low is your setup in the rear?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM
P'sLPG

I dont have them yet. Hopefully they will be here in a week and a half. I ordered jan30th. I'm a total noob and dont know how to work on cars at all. Yes I have an X sedan

Do you have an X sedan? Did you have any issues with the install? The main issue a few members have had is that the max rear ride height is too low for them. Flexibility is very important for most X owners as most live in regions that get snow. How low is your setup in the rear?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting. I talked to Chris at FA today and explained the issue. He said that the normal spring length is 7" but that it sounds like I need the 8" ones. I told him that if they could do that then I'd be happy. I wonder if Luke was referring to me. Actually, I know I'm not the first to experience this so it was probably someone else. I'll report back after I get the 8" springs installed.

By the way, the first picture I posted of my car on the first page shows the rear at a 2" drop. I guess most people running this setup are wanting as low as they can get. I actually told the guy who took my order at TH Motorsports what my ride height goals were. Maybe that never translated into ordering the longer springs. Who knows. In the end, as long as FA makes it right, I'll be a happy customer.
The following users liked this post:
Upscale Speed (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Great news there hopefully 8" swifts is the cure for us. I will likely order mine tomorrow and as long as FA will work with me on returns for different rear springs if they dont work out I will have no reason not to.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 PM
P'sLPG

So jethro and the others that had no problems. They had the 8" from the beginning?

Originally Posted by jsampsell
Interesting. I talked to Chris at FA today and explained the issue. He said that the normal spring length is 7" but that it sounds like I need the 8" ones. I told him that if they could do that then I'd be happy. I wonder if Luke was referring to me. Actually, I know I'm not the first to experience this so it was probably someone else. I'll report back after I get the 8" springs installed.

By the way, the first picture I posted of my car on the first page shows the rear at a 2" drop. I guess most people running this setup are wanting as low as they can get. I actually told the guy who took my order at TH Motorsports what my ride height goals were. Maybe that never translated into ordering the longer springs. Who knows. In the end, as long as FA makes it right, I'll be a happy customer.

Quick Reply: Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install