Sponsored by:

Door lock freezing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Ipp391
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Door lock freezing

So this happened to me for the 3rd time this winter so far. The lock inside my driver side door keeps freezing. I unlock the doors using either the outside button on the handle or the keyless remote, but I pull the handle and nothing happens. The handle just pulls open with no resistance as it would if the door is still locked.

Even when I get inside the car from the passenger side (embarrassing) I can toggle the actual lock (chrome piece next to inside handle) and attempt to open the door and still nothing happens. I'm guessing it is the actual lock mechanism inside the door that is freezing on me. It's weird too because it is only the drivers side that ever freezes... Convenient, I know.

Has anyone had this issue with this car? Any fixes for this problem so this stops happening? I was thinking about possibly coating the lock mechanism with some type of lubricant and idk if that would help, if I would need to remove the door panel, or if there was an easier way???
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ipp391
..... Any fixes for this problem so this stops happening?
A warm garage

Telcoman
Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Ipp391
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
A warm garage

Telcoman
Wow.. thats profound. ^^

Really, no one else has run into this issue with this car though???
Old 01-31-2015, 01:07 AM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes I did, about 3 months ago. It was extremely frustrating. And embarrassing. Nothing like having to climb into your luxury car from the passenger side.

I took it to the dealer (after climbing over the seats...) one of the times but by time I made the 40 minute drive there, it fixed itself. Again. Dealer looked at it and said there was nothing they could do since they weren't experiencing the problem and couldn't replicate it. Guy said the door either wasn't aligning right or it was the door actuator, but he couldn't recommend the service to me with an honest mind bc he really wasn't sure.

Next day I had the same issue. I watched a video on youtube on how to replace it (dealer wanted $450+). So I bought a "body hardware, front door, lock & hardware, lock assy SEDAN Left) for $233 from orderinfinitiparts. Based on other forums and what I saw in the replacement video... this was the part that was malfunctioning.

I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, and I, of course, have not experienced the issue again since then. Maybe me owning the new part was enough of a threat to the old part to keep it working properly.........

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to experience this. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Ipp391 (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Perhaps someone accidently applied some sort of liquid lubricant to the lock. As with any outside lock such oils are not recommended. One should use only powdered graphite.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 PM
pixie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the opposite problem... Door freezes on the outside and I couldn't open using the button on the door handle, sometimes even when I'm inside the engine start button wouldn't work because it thought I don't have a key. Then again, when I did manage to start the car the display shows I have enough juice in the remote key.............. Only happens on the first drive of the day. This is what I'm taking it to the dealer for.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 AM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Perhaps someone accidently applied some sort of liquid lubricant to the lock. As with any outside lock such oils are not recommended. One should use only powdered graphite.
In my particular situation, it made it through last winters Chicago "polar vortex" without issue. No lubricant has been applied to the locks since atleast before then, if ever.

Since my experience was limited to about a week... It's possible some sort of moisture was in there causing an issue I suppose. Knock on wood I haven't had a problem since then.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Paceship

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lockease a graphite spray
Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Snappingturtle
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me... at first, 3/4 of my doors were frozen but then it managed to be only my driver door. I took it to the dealer and they warmed it up and it ended up working again. They didn't do anything except point a heater at the door. Problem wasn't the seals freezing with water. The internals of the door mechanism were too cold to work or something like that....
Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Happened to me this morning, Drivers door was frozen shut :/ Climbed in through the passenger side, at lease when I go to work the door would open. :/ But again was 0 last night
Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM
andy_s31

Originally Posted by Ipp391
Wow.. thats profound. ^^

Really, no one else has run into this issue with this car though???
Hey bro, this has happened to me numerous times as well. Its weird some days it will be colder and no issues other times it will pop up. I honestly have no clue how to resolve this problem other than coming out of the passenger side. LOL
Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Snappingturtle
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this only the driver's door that is is happening to for everyone? Perhaps only the driver's door due the gear mechanism on that door being more worn from every day use.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 AM
andy_s31

Originally Posted by Snappingturtle
Is this only the driver's door that is is happening to for everyone? Perhaps only the driver's door due the gear mechanism on that door being more worn from every day use.
This might be true. It only affects the driver side door me. But it comes and go in the winter time. right now its -14 in toronto but I am having no issues (as of yet) but that might change on my way home.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM
andy_s31

Originally Posted by Snappingturtle
This might be true. It only affects the driver side door me. But it comes and go in the winter time. right now its -14 in toronto but I am having no issues (as of yet) but that might change on my way home.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:34 PM
jros08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same issue earlier in the winter (december maybe). we had a day or two of 40 degree rain followed by a below zero spell.

my door unlocked and opened so i could get in the car, but refused to latch and lock once i was in. this meant the door was just hanging there. i didn't feel like driving with one hand keeping the door shut, so i pressed the lock/unlock button a few times on my fob, door handle, and the inside of the door. the inside door switch got it to lock (which meant my door shut), but now i couldn't get it to unlock.

i called the dealer from our office parking lot, and the service guy advised me to find a warm garage because some of that rain probably froze in/around the lock. i have a 30 minute commute, so by the time i got home my car was fully warm and the issue was gone. i haven't seen it since.

tl;dr - let the car warm up in a garage (preferred) or by driving it around.

Quick Reply: Door lock freezing