For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:49 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
And this instead of a rear brace:

From a G37 Vert
All 370Zs have this

[IMG][/IMG]
Awesome advice, TVPostSound. So do you know if the rear brace fits other Gs, specifically an X sedan? Or could you point me in the direction of where to find the info? I assume this is an OEM option compared to the 6 point GTSpec brace...?

This just got interesting...

The believe the X already has something like lower front strut braces you posted; something to that effect is mention on the GTSpec website.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My last car I had was 2002 Firebird. The criteria for the Firebird had to be stick and t-tops. I bought that car April 2002 and whatever was left on the lot was left. I ended up buying a stick no t-tops. I got subframe connectors, sway bars, strut bar, and blisten shocks and springs done to the car less than 5000 miles in. Later on about 60k+ miles I had some guy cut my top off and put in t-tops. When he cut the frame he asked me what I did to my car. I told him mainly suspension work. He told me that he's done t-tops mods to 3 other cars and he was amazed how minimal twist I had on the frame. Fast forward to 2 years ago, I bought my G37S brand new. I had about 200 or less miles on it and I had the strut bar and ALL the under brace and sway bars done to the car. I'm roughly about 14K miles and I'm about to have coilovers put in. I love taking turns and corners fast.

To answer your question if it's worth it, I'd like to think so. I bought the car drove it for about 100 miles, left for a year, struck gold, bought the parts and installed it after I came back. Sorry for the long story.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
TVPostSound, can you talk to that some more, please?

That Vert front brace... This is first time I've heard of this mod.

[edit]

Engine Cradle Bracket 544C5-1EA0A left-side, 544C4-1EA0A right-side. For the Vert. Approx $76+ shipping for both, OEM and new.

2013 Infiniti G37 Parts - Infiniti parts

This fits our sedans? It's #13 in this diagram, although I'm having trouble visualizing the connection points to the car's underbody.

Whoops! Here's a thread from Modme, two years ago: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...g-project.html

TVPostSound, it seems you jumped into that thread a couple years ago. Geeze, I'm playing catch-up on this stuff. LOL

I bought the front vert braces per Modmes recommendation.

The "Batwing, I actually bought from Modme. At first it would not work due to my Fujitsubo mid pipe having giant resonators.
I had FI install my new exhaust, and it fits with 1/8" clearance.

But it has stiffened to body radically.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Someone jump on this"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12-13-INFINITI-G37-CONVERTIBLE-OEM-CHASSIS-MID-BRACE-G37S-74870JJ50A-/331146994914?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d19e624e2&vxp=mtr
Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
txg37x

Just to make sure, this just bolts right up using existing bolt points and nuts?

No drilling, modification, or additional bolts required?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I bought the front vert braces per Modmes recommendation.
You have a Coupe. Now if you did this with a Sedan...

I still think it will work, but would love to hear that definitively from someone who's done it.

Same for that giant, flat mid-brace.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-31-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wrote the post on DrivingEnthusiast.net on the 370Z front shock tower brace. I measured it on a friend's G37S coupe, which has been built up into a terrific open track machine.
That brace will go right onto our cars IF somebody machines a set of adapters for it. This ought to be easy for an aftermarket company with a CNC milling machine. I could see a really nice adapter with the name of the company machined into it. Very sharp.
--------------
IMHO, people have to stop calling this a "strut tower brace". This car doesn't have strut towers, it doesn't have MacPherson struts. Struts are for cheap cars. It's ignorant to keep using this term.

Last edited by jwfisher; 02-01-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
+1. I'd add that if you would like some additional bracing that Phase 1 and Phase 3 of ModMe's bracing project may also be an option. Simple bolt-on OEM parts and may have a better impact on an AWD that your FSTB part.

Try: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...g-project.html
Old 02-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jwfisher
IMHO, people have to stop calling this a "strut tower brace". This car doesn't have strut towers, it doesn't have MacPherson struts. Struts are for cheap cars. It's ignorant to keep using this term.
Front struts, rear shocks. What's your point?

I'm sure most people would be happy to entertain a more accurate terminology... Do you suppose you could comment on that in a way that isn't insulting?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
This thread has taken a turn towards the interesting.

The vert braces and rear 'batwing' seem far more substantial than the fstb. And about $200 for both.....
Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

I'm sure most people would be happy to entertain a more accurate terminology... Do you suppose you could comment on that in a way that isn't insulting?

It's not "more accurate", it's accurate period.

One of the more important architectural features of this car is the front suspension, which wasn't dumbed down with struts. The resulting far superior camber curve is responsible for the excellent dynamics of the front suspension.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo at
Simple bolt-on OEM parts and may have a better impact on an AWD that your FSTB part.
I updated in the modme thread. The awd seems to already have some different additional bracing in the front. I didn't think to look at the rear, but that's for another time.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

My friend bought that brace for his G37S coupe track car.

Now we need somebody to machine out some adapter brackets for the top of the shock towers to fit the 370Z tower brace.

Last edited by jwfisher; 03-17-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:52 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Struts are the same as its definition, a strut geometrically supports something. We have coil over shocks.
If it was a strut we wouldn't haves upper control arms, and the shock would have a bearing plate.

Back to bracing, yes the Upper shock tower reinforcement bar does in fact stiffen the body.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM
txg37x

If it could be confirmed that the 'batwing' would fit the sedan, I'd buy it today. As for the front braces from the coupe, the X sedan already has something there that the non X doesn't have. That's why you can't put the GTSpec front left and right braces there either.

Quick Reply: For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?