Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm driving a rwd g37 loaner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm driving a rwd g37 loaner...

So my X sedan has an issue with the trunk release. If any of the doors are open, the trunk won't release with the remote or with the button on the trunk. While they investigate, I get to drive a rwd sedan...

I've never owned rwd before. All of my cars have either been fwd or awd (Mitsubishi Eclipse and g37).

While I have this car, what"safe" things can I do to get a feel for rwd performance?

I've already accelerated hard during a turn (from a stop) and heard the wheels spinning with traction control light coming on. I never had that happen with the X...but have seen the light come on, but no sound of the wheels spinning.

I guess, I'm trying to experience things that I can't with awd. I've probably 2 days max with this loaner.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have snow where you live? That would be an interesting comparison.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
You don't have limited slip in that loaner car, or the close-ratio steering that comes with the sport package, or a suspension that is any different than you're used to. And you probably have worn, all-season tires on 17" rims.

IMO, the only thing you can experience in that car is a better appreciation for your X. And that's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

That said, don't drive my car. It will make you sad.

Yuks aside, that's actually a larger point. I've driven cars that make me sad when I get back into mine. Everything is relative.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM
G37Xtreme

The plot thickens.

So it looks like I'm going to have the car for 1 day. I just spoke with the service technician, and they got it working.

I'll explain more after I pick the car up. Rochester, I especially want your feedback on this issue, but will go into more detail after I get the car.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Funny mine just started doing this also. Let us know what it was. Mine wont open with the truck button and sometimes the remote wont work either.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Funny mine just started doing this also. Let us know what it was. Mine wont open with the truck button and sometimes the remote wont work either.
All will be revealed when I pick up the car. I don't want to say anything until then...I hope you'll understand why.

Your symptoms are the same as mine, and I bet I could tell you why with almost 100% certainty.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I'll explain more after I pick the car up. Rochester, I especially want your feedback on this issue, but will go into more detail after I get the car.
Dude, I don't know chit about that stuff.

However, pretty sure I've had the trunk not open with the button or the remote before, realized the doors were open, shut the doors and opened the trunk. All without trying the dashboard switch, or caring that this was an issue that needed to be corrected. I suppose it is. It could be argued either way, or I could have my details all wrong. Either way, you got me curious, so I'm interested in what you find out.

There are lots of little quirks that crop up, but mostly to do with the Nav and Audio system. Usually, the solution is to simply restart the car.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-26-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Turn the traction control off. It will still feel different than an S, but you can feel it slide a bit. Slides are very easy to control in this car, just stay on the gas and point her where you want to go.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Just as an FYI, if the car is running, you cannot open the trunk with the button on the back or the remote. You can only open with the button on the driver side dash. It's a safety thing.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Just as an FYI, if the car is running, you cannot open the trunk with the button on the back or the remote. You can only open with the button on the driver side dash. It's a safety thing.
Really? When the engine is running. I can go and press the button on the trunk. It won't beep to tell me I've opened the trunk.
And the remote works as well....

: P
Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Drive it like you stole it
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
7000 rpm neutral drop
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 PM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Originally Posted by Rochester
Dude, I don't know chit about that stuff.

However, pretty sure I've had the trunk not open with the button or the remote before, realized the doors were open, shut the doors and opened the trunk. All without trying the dashboard switch, or caring that this was an issue that needed to be corrected. I suppose it is. It could be argued either way, or I could have my details all wrong. Either way, you got me curious, so I'm interested in what you find out.
The culprit turned out to be LED door projectors. As soon as they took those out, it worked fine. They even went the extra mile and tested with oem lights by swapping them into my car and the trunk worked fine.

Right now, I'm trying to decide if the door projectors are cool enough to keep using knowing this. I can only assume that they draw too much current.

I've played around with them since getting home, and discovered that any door open (even back door) causes both front door light projectors to turn on even if the front doors are closed. So maybe having both projectors on at the same time is too much draw. Taking out only one projector, makes it function normal.

Anyone with the projectors, please test on your own and let me know what you find.

With both projectors in, the remote works on the side of the car near the gas cap but close to the car. Also, the rear button works if I put the remote right up to the release button. It sometimes doesn't. I can sometimes put it against the Fuji emblem and have it work.

Without the projectors, the remote opens the trunk from over 30ft away, and the trunk button works if the remote is like 3ft away.

My only conclusion is that they interfere in some way, and it's inconsistent in how it decides not to work.

Last edited by G37Xtreme; 01-26-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Holy cow. Didn't see that one coming.

I've got projectors, so I'll check it out tomorrow. That is, if I actually go anywhere. Winter is here in a big, big way.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-26-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:42 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
you must have something else also drawing power... Everything works fine for me... did you test with the interior lights off maybe? or maybe try switching the battery in the fob.

Last edited by inspector94; 01-26-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm driving a rwd g37 loaner...