G37 Sedan

New Roof Wing for the G-Sedan - HappyBuyItNow Extreme3

Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

I don't want to final-install the item until Spring, when the temps are reasonable. Then again, I want to put it on the car and take pics.

Need to think on this some more. Ideas and advice are welcome.
How about some weaker double sided tape from the hardware store as a temporary solution. If it's weak enough, there will be no trouble taking it off, but you may not want to drive much depending on the adhesion.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Seems like you'd be able to get a test fit w/ just a couple squares of double sided tape at each end as long as the temp.
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
How about some weaker double sided tape from the hardware store as a temporary solution.
I woke up this morning thinking exactly the same thing: a little square of 3M tape on each corner and in the middle, just to get it on the car with proper fitment for photos.

We'll see if I can get to it today. If not, then the weekend. (There's a snow storm heading up the East Coast tonight.)

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
...but you may not want to drive much depending on the adhesion.
The instructions sheet that came with the roof wing ends with, "VERY IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT drive the car in 24 hours after installation!"

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

As for shape, last night I was experimenting with the curvature, and this morning there's still a curve to the piece, meaning it didn't entirely straighten out over-night.

That's encouraging.

Originally Posted by bat6wc
Is it the pics, or is that a sh*tty gloss black paint job?
It's the corner pic on close-up, because overall the paint seems fine. However, in the right light, there are some swirls. Although covered in packing wrap, I suspect it got boxed up too soon after painting, and that it could have sat a few more days. Either that, or there's no clear-coat. I don't really know. And while I acknowledge seeing swirls in the paint, it's really not a big deal, IMO. It might become a big deal if I keep the roof wing, and any imperfections in the paint start to bug me. I suppose at that point I could have it repainted.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 AM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
True. I seem to have more help-dad-out leverage lately since we started giving them an allowance.

So at this point, I've got first impressions compared to expectations, and they're pretty darn good. I really like the quality, the paint, the color (as black trim), the design, angle and fitment. If I can get this adhered to the car properly, I'm pretty sure it's a keeper. However...

...I'm concerned about the natural shape of the material fighting with the necessary curvature on the roof-line, and unseating the double-sided tape.

And I'm concerned on how to proceed, considering that it's mid-December in Upstate NY, and I have a detached, unheated garage.
First impressions look very good. I think you should try to heat it up a bit to get a better bend on the curves (use a hair dryer if heat gun isn't at your disposal) If you attempt to do it now, id clean it, heat the glass and as mentioned use someone else to hold it in place while you get the curvature set to your liking. IMHO I'd bring it all the way up to the edge of the roof to minimize any gap.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by pledes23
IMHO I'd bring it all the way up to the edge of the roof to minimize any gap.
I've been thinking glass-edge, actually, instead of roof-edge. Because of rain run-off.

Haven't forgot about you, Pedro. You have dibs if I don't keep it. Free + shipping.
The following users liked this post:
pledes23 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
It seems 43 1/8" fits between the sheet metal from one D-pillar to the other, with about 1/16" to spare. In other words: perfect width. So much for my measuring skills... I thought there was only 43" to work with.

The next problem (?) is how to test-mount it. The curvature of the roof means the material needs to bend a little bit, following that curvature. And that's only going to happen by actually adhering it to the window. Err-r-r. You can get a perspective on how much it has to curve, by butting up the piece at the middle and looking at the corners.

Here's another one:

It's night, and it's freezing out. I'll see what I can do tomorrow in the daylight.

Kind of stymied, though, on how to do this in the winter, without a second pair of hands. It's really a two person job, just like in that video.

And I have to decided whether or not to butt the material up to the roof directly, or leave a small gap and follow the edge of the glass instead.

I have to admit it look better then the curved one
Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It's 30*F outside, but sunny ahead of the storm. So I used a small square of 3M outdoor tape on each corner, and in the middle, to test-fit the prototype roof wing on the car, for pictures. I'm afraid this is as good as it's going to get until a final installation in the Spring. And while good-enough for photos, it's certainly not perfect.

And I think Pedro was right, that it looks better flush against the roof, rather than to the gap at the edge of the glass. Good call.

I'll leave the car out and maybe take some more pics later. (The car is so damn dirty today... sigh.) The pics are each approximately 1600x900, but the forum re-sizes them for display.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2014 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
ninjitsui1 (12-10-2014), pledes23 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
That looks pretty good. Flush with the roof, not so eye-catching which is a good thing. I say it's a keeper.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:49 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
actually looks a lot better installed. not sure Im feeling the black though.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Mondo702

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks really good. I was in the same position as you, other wings i seen just didn't really do it for me but this one i want.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The sun is setting, so I took some more pictures without direct sunlight. IMO, these actually showcase the roof wing better than the morning pics did.

You know what? I'm calling it. This is a keeper. (Sorry, Pedro.)

I'm still not going to install it for real until Spring 2015, though. Until then, I've got these pics to look at.

The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
Dj1ofDet (12-09-2014), G10 (03-11-2015), Lego_Maniac (12-10-2014), pledes23 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

I've been thinking glass-edge, actually, instead of roof-edge. Because of rain run-off.

Haven't forgot about you, Pedro. You have dibs if I don't keep it. Free + shipping.
Good point sir, I didn't think about that rain run-off.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

That looks great!! Once you get the final install I'm pretty sure that you will like it. It's so subtle yet adds a depth to the rear that is much needed matched with the trunk spoiler.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Rochester;3853069]

No worries, It looks really good!! I might look into trying to get a hold of them so I can order one. I would probably paint match mine though, unless I vinyl wrap the roof glossy black. Which IMO for my car would look good because I have tints all around including the front windshield, but I am still on the fence when it comes to that.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
It does indeed look good. So I guess the next question is when will might they become available?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Roof Wing for the G-Sedan - HappyBuyItNow Extreme3