Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Let's see your ****

Automatics pls go.

Nismo titanium on my G35S sedan.

Let's see your knob-dutujbx.jpg

Last edited by 35Sport; 12-01-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:09 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Looks OK, prefer to have a "bulb" at the top (or w/e you'd call it)

DESPERATELY looking for something OEM-style but with the shift pattern on the **** itself, for some reason it really bugs me that the shift pattern is stuck onto the trim instead
Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 AM
35Sport

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Looks OK, prefer to have a "bulb" at the top (or w/e you'd call it)

DESPERATELY looking for something OEM-style but with the shift pattern on the **** itself, for some reason it really bugs me that the shift pattern is stuck onto the trim instead
I refinished my trim by sanding with various grits of sandpaper until the pattern was gone. I replaced the boot with a red stitched replacement and bought the **** I had on my HR 350Z. One of the best shift ***** I've ever owned.

Name:  20140123_173605_zps98c4997b.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  20130903_184304_zps6e9e394a.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.6 KB

Last edited by 35Sport; 12-02-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:22 AM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
I refinished my trim by sanding with various grits of sandpaper until the pattern was gone. I replaced the boot with a red stitched replacement and bought the **** I had on my HR 350Z. One of the best shift ***** I've ever owned.

i have the same **** and love it except i was in too much of a rush to get it on and i wasn't paying attention and accidentally stuck the wrong sticker on the ****... and couldn't get it off -_-.... luckily the 6MT sticker on top isn't too much of an eye sore... but now that i'm bringing it up its going to eat at me for a while again.....

what grit did you use to sand refinish the trim i like that a lot. i agree that the shift pattern on it was a bit odd.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Since even before buying the car, I was searching for a new shift ****, and was positive it would be the NISMO ****. Then a local member offered to sell me his, and I had a chance to see it in person, installed, row through the gears, etc. For me, it was too small and the grip was awkward. I was pretty disappointed, finding out I didn't actually want something that I wanted for a long while. Very attractive, no doubt, just not right somehow. (Different strokes, people. No pun. )

Then Lego_Maniac told me about LatheWerks.com. I contacted the owner, and he custom-made a solid Titanium tear-drop **** for me, with matching brushed Titanium boot ring. The feel of titanium, the way it fits perfectly in the palm of your hand, I couldn't be happier. And the way it looks with the brushed SS dash and CARSMO *****... it looks OEM. Just better.

He engraves, too, if that's your thing. But I wanted it clean. Here are the pics:

Last edited by Rochester; 12-02-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 35Sport
I refinished my trim by sanding with various grits of sandpaper until the pattern was gone. I replaced the boot with a red stitched replacement and bought the **** I had on my HR 350Z.
Clever idea, removing the OEM pattern from the bezel, in deference to the shift pattern at the top of the ****. I like that detail. And your red stitching looks great against black.

I know of two members here in the Sedan forum who have the Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi Shift ****. I've seen that in person, too. None too fond of the overall design, or the odd little turtle logo, but the heft is really nice. Can't deny that. A heavier **** is a nice change.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Rochester....

I gotta say....

You have absolutely impeccable taste. You do things right down to the detail.

The shift ****, the aluminum trim, and the cosmo ***** all look like they came from the same factory, and the contrast it has with the grey interior, it looks f*cking great.

Keep on with the quality mods sir...my big thumbs up to you.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by chilibowl
all look like they came from the same factory
Not 100%, but certainly good enough to make me content with how it all comes together. Thanks, chilibowl. Very nice compliment you paid me there.

Love to see what other people have done. However, I suspect swapping the shift **** is more of a 370Z thing than a G37 Sedan... particularly with the rarity of the 6MT in the Sedan.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
I only show my **** to my wife.
The following users liked this post:
ScrewstonNismo (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Since even before buying the car, I was searching for a new shift ****, and was positive it would be the NISMO ****. Then a local member offered to sell me his, and I had a chance to see it in person, installed, row through the gears, etc. For me, it was too small and the grip was awkward. I was pretty disappointed, finding out I didn't actually want something that I wanted for a long while. Very attractive, no doubt, just not right somehow. (Different strokes, people. No pun. )

Then Lego_Maniac told me about LatheWerks.com. I contacted the owner, and he custom-made a solid Titanium tear-drop **** for me, with matching brushed Titanium boot ring. The feel of titanium, the way it fits perfectly in the palm of your hand, I couldn't be happier. And the way it looks with the brushed SS dash and CARSMO *****... it looks OEM. Just better.

He engraves, too, if that's your thing. But I wanted it clean. Here are the pics:

How much was this? I like!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
ROCHESTER The shift **** look good, what level of customization is offered by the maker?

Could he flatten out the top and engrave the shift pattern?

If so, might be the move I make
Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
How much was this? I like!
Material, design and details means you need to reach out to LatheWerks and ask for a quote. IIRC, mine was $165.

Originally Posted by STownSaint
ROCHESTERCould he flatten out the top and engrave the shift pattern?
That's an interesting idea, though.

The name for the contact at LatheWerks is Chris. He was very easy going in his emails.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Rochester
Material, design and details means you need to reach out to LatheWerks and ask for a quote. IIRC, mine was $165.

That's an interesting idea, though.

The name for the contact at LatheWerks is Chris. He was very easy going in his emails.
Yeah I've been emailing back and forth with him tonight, he's a cool dude. I think I like this sphere shape one better, although the finish on yours is nicer. He said he can etch the shift pattern in it as well. Someone was asking about that...

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=214

Last edited by Furlow; 12-03-2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Link
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Furlow

Also looks like he can do the shift pattern on the teardrop shape (like Rochester's)

Last edited by Furlow; 12-03-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: 2nd pic
Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM
35Sport

Originally Posted by obg376mt
i have the same **** and love it except i was in too much of a rush to get it on and i wasn't paying attention and accidentally stuck the wrong sticker on the ****... and couldn't get it off -_-.... luckily the 6MT sticker on top isn't too much of an eye sore... but now that i'm bringing it up its going to eat at me for a while again.....

what grit did you use to sand refinish the trim i like that a lot. i agree that the shift pattern on it was a bit odd.
Have you attempted to use a heatgun to get the adhesive hot and then a razer blade or an exacto knife to get under the pattern?

I used various grits of sand paper to refinish the aluminum trim, I started with 400 grit and worked my way up to 2000 grit. Looks very OEM and no one would ever know there was a pattern there. There's a clear coat finish over the aluminum and the pattern is on top of that.

Quick Reply: Let's see your knob