Coilover Advice Wanted Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Coilover Advice Wanted Please

I've been a part of forums where it seems like the same questions are asked over and over because the new guys don't do their research so I apologize if that's the way this comes across. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent on this forum over the past couple months reading about all of the coilover setups that have been posted here. There is so much information and that is awesome! This is what's great about this forum/community!

The reason why I'm asking for help is because I would like to make a decision soon and I don't feel like I have enough time to read through all of the information here. Weeding through all of the varied opinions on here is the big time sucker. I know what I'm after so hopefully the specific questions will result in the desired advice. So thanks in advance for any help you guys provide.

I have already purchased a set of Swift Sport springs for my X sedan. I have read conflicting reviews on how they ride so I'm concerned that I will put money into having them installed and then have to turn around and put either new shocks in or go ahead with coilovers. I would rather spend a little extra money up front than pay for labor twice. So, I'm looking to get the smoothest ride possible while dropping my X by 1-1.5 inches. I don't want crazy low. I just want a reasonable balance between lower and ride comfort.

I know that this subject will come with its own arguments as to whether you can really get good ride comfort while lowering the car. I'm not looking for those opinions. I've read a good bit of them. I'm just looking for the best combination that I can get.

In addition to coilovers, should I go ahead and get a rear camber kit? Or would I have to get it if I go with coilovers? What about the front camber kits that are avaialble? Should I do that too? I would like to be as in spec as possible for the alignment since I drive 100 miles per day. I have a square wheel setup so that I can maintain as much tread life as possible by rotating as needed. I'd hate to counteract that goal by running with too much camber and ruining the inside of the tires so, again, with the thought of saving money in the long run, I don't mind spending some more money up front if necessary. Damn, this adds up quick. I'm not sure that I'd even consider lowering it if I didn't have the X. That little bit of extra height just makes the wheels/tires look not quite right.

Ok, so just to summarize, I'm looking for advice on the best ride comfort while lowering the car 1-1.5 inches and I already have the Swift Sport springs. Oh, I just realized that the Swift springs upgrades that I've read so much about could be a different version of Swift springs. I would appreciate if someone could verify that.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
The following users liked this post:
SKTrainspotter (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
eurtsx

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't have Swift Springs but it seems like they're probably the best fit for you. I have BC Coilovers for my 2010 xS and while I've been very happy with them (I don't have the clunking issue most people run into installing these coilovers), I probably could've gone with Swifts and be just as happy.

From the reading that I did do prior to buying the Swift Springs, I'm not sure if they will warrant you to get a camber kit since the drop is pretty conservative. I could be wrong. I have my wheel fender measured 26-26.5 inches off from the ground (still pretty low for an X) and I don't have a camber kit (yet).

I think the springs will do you good, especially since you're looking for more ride quality and comfort and more of a conservative drop. If they're not good enough and you want to feel more planted, I think you can upgrade your sways.

I'm pretty much a modding noob myself, but I'm hoping the rest of the X drivers on here can chime in as well. Modding's not easy for us X guys!

Good luck!
jsampsell (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
No coil-over option for us IMO. I had swift springs and stock shocks and struts love the love drop is perfect , Ride is good and when the stock stuff goes I'll look at konis or something IF someone ever makes stuff the X :/ ..
jsampsell (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:29 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Koni will do a custom for you but it's fairly pricey, to the point that you're in coil over territory already. I just pulled the swifts off my car and went with fortune coils with swift springs, really need to list the springs I took off. I went 10/8 and am liking them so far except i need to play with the height, I'm too low.

I went with camber kits when I first put the swifts on. May not have needed them but I figured it would be easier to do it at that point. Personally I thought the swift drop on the X was perfect.
jsampsell (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
If you've been reading up on the topic, then you know AWD Swifts provide a very consistent and conservative drop. It's the RWD Swifts that are less so to a noticeable degree. For most people, it's a small compromise. For some, it's the end of the freaking world.

You're only going to need a camber & toe kit if you're so far out of range that it's a problem. The drop you want won't become a problem. The AWD Swifts that you have won't become a problem.

You've already bought the springs. Install them, along with some aftermarket sways.

Lastly, if you're dropping the car on OEM wheels, it's going to look silly.
jsampsell (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Not silly John come on just needs spacers
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Not silly John come on just needs spacers
That's true. You can go from Silly to Awesome, in less than an hour's effort.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM
jsampsell

Here's a current pic of the car. Definitely needs a little low.

Name:  27EC768B-F979-4DDF-949B-DABAD84AAF10_zpsmxw5hdro.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  190.6 KB
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM
jsampsell

Thanks for all of the input guys. What I still haven't heard, though, is anything about ride comfort. I appreciate that the Swift springs will lower the car the amount that I'm looking for but the other side to my equation is ride comfort. I know, just as a matter of function, that ride quality will suffer with the Swift springs. However, my question is whether or not coilovers with certain spring rates may give me better ride quality than just the Swift springs.

Also, Rex, you said you pulled your Swift springs off and went to Fortune coils with Swift springs. Are the Swift springs you used with the Fortune coils different from the Swift springs you already had on the car? I apologize if it seems obvious. I'm just looking to make sure I understand correctly. The LAST thing I want to do is get into doing the work and realize that I didn't ask all of the right questions.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM
jsampsell

By the way, my Sport bumper is getting painted next Monday. Can't wait! There's nothing wrong with the non-Sport bumper. I just prefer the lines of the Sport version better.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jsampsell
Thanks for all of the input guys. What I still haven't heard, though, is anything about ride comfort. I appreciate that the Swift springs will lower the car the amount that I'm looking for but the other side to my equation is ride comfort. I know, just as a matter of function, that ride quality will suffer with the Swift springs. However, my question is whether or not coilovers with certain spring rates may give me better ride quality than just the Swift springs.

Also, Rex, you said you pulled your Swift springs off and went to Fortune coils with Swift springs. Are the Swift springs you used with the Fortune coils different from the Swift springs you already had on the car? I apologize if it seems obvious. I'm just looking to make sure I understand correctly. The LAST thing I want to do is get into doing the work and realize that I didn't ask all of the right questions.

The ride quality at first will be similar to stock but as the oem struts slowly give way you will notice more harshness and bounce across bumps and holes. This really depends on the quality of roads you will be driving on and frequency.

For a spring that will give you a mild drop with a close to stock ride...Swift Springs can't be beat, but they wont ever match a good set of coils. I also went from swift springs to coils and I couldn't be happier, it was money well spent.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM
jsampsell

So what coils did you go with Motoboat? And did you use the Swift springs you already had along with the coils?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jsampsell
So what coils did you go with Motoboat? And did you use the Swift springs you already had along with the coils?
Fortune Auto 500
Couple of reviews in here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...overs-awd.html

Should answer some of your questions
Old 11-25-2014, 11:52 PM
jsampsell

Originally Posted by Motoboat
Fortune Auto 500
Couple of reviews in here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...overs-awd.html

Should answer some of your questions
Perfect. Thank you very much!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Those are the same ones I went with. I decided to get the Swifts from them in case they spec'd different spring rates. I had them street valved and set up at 10/8, you could,probably go 12/10 also. The ride is much better on the coils once I get the height dialed it I'll be a very happy camper. If you go coils you could talk to them and see if you can use the springs you currently have.

The ride on the swifts wasn't awful but I also knew it just wasn't what I was looking for. I swapped out my OEM struts to KYBs which helped but if you're going for handling then go coils and sways.

I've heard that Stance now has a set for the X but I haven't been able to confirm other than my distributor letting me know.

Car looks good, I like those wheels. Depending on the drop you may not need spacers, I didn't think I did but different strokes.
jsampsell (11-26-2014)

Quick Reply: Coilover Advice Wanted Please