G37 Sedan

Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan

Old 11-15-2014, 03:47 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Waiting on the B9 S4 myself, rumor mill says 6MT may be dropped, if so G will be around for quite some time (even in this stinkin' DC traffic )
Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was tempted by 335i but the stuff I learned from people who owned them scares me. It's not a car that will last long time. I was talking with people who had to change engine.

But if 335i was as reliable as g37 I would definitely go for 335i even if it coasts much more.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was also tempted to go with the 335i, but opted for the G37.
The main reason was reliability. Secondary reasons were I do not like run flats and the G had more bells and whistles. I preferred the look of the BMW, but over time I have liked the look of the G more then when I first bought it.
After 4-1/2 years with zero problems I am happy with my decision.
I owned a 540i ,years ago, that had to be brought back to the dealer more times then I can count.

Once you have owned a car that constantly has to be brought in for one thing or another you tend to put reliability toward the top of your shopping list.
Tom
Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Michael440

I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want to be stuck on the highway. It's not only question of money but inconvenience.

I also don't like flat run tires I would probably change them right away. My friend who has M3 had so many problems with them, he also messed up his rim and had to change it.
Those freaking tires explode into pieces. It's so dangerous while you are driving on the highway.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael440

I also don't like flat run tires I would probably change them right away. My friend who has M3 had so many problems with them, he also messed up his rim and had to change it.
Those freaking tires explode into pieces. It's so dangerous while you are driving on the highway.
The problem with ditching the run flats is the spare. There is no spare tire cutout, so you can either give up a sizeable portion of the trunk for a spare, or opt for fix-a-flat and a small air compressor.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Michael440

I would probably keep it in the trunk. Don't care too much about space in my trunk besides emergency donut doesn't too much of space.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I would probably keep it in the trunk. Don't care too much about space in my trunk besides emergency donut doesn't too much of space.

By the time you fit a donut and jack back there you've taken up half the trunk.

I had an e90, and I ditched the run flats too, and went with fix-a-flat and a small compressor. If you never need any more than a couple days groceries, let alone a trip to costco, you'll be fine. But for someone concerned about their cars weight, adding a spare and hardware seems counter productive.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:45 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

By the time you fit a donut and jack back there you've taken up half the trunk.

I had an e90, and I ditched the run flats too, and went with fix-a-flat and a small compressor. If you never need any more than a couple days groceries, let alone a trip to costco, you'll be fine. But for someone concerned about their cars weight, adding a spare and hardware seems counter productive.

I don't keep fix-a-flat, but I do have a tire repair kit (with plugs) and a small compressor. If the hole is too small for the plug...not sure what I'd do. Maybe I'd go with the spare then...which I also have. Or maybe, I'll add fix-a-flat to my aresenal, ditch the spare, and turn the spare compartment into a subwoofer
Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Michael440

Repair kit may be useless if your run flat explodes into pieces.

If you don't want to carry your spare you may leave it in your good friend garage and if something happen you can call him to bring it. Unless you are traveling somewhere across US or something then you should definitely take that spare with you.

I will be probably getting G37 instead of BMW so I don't have to worry about that. But I do like styling of q50 :]
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Repair kit may be useless if your run flat explodes into pieces.
That's easy enough. Don't buy flammable tires
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I have one of the oldest V36 out there. Mine was built in 12/06, which means my car is almost 8 years old.

I have 90k miles on my car, and I have no issues with it thus far since my warranty ended at 60k miles.

However, one thing that IS scaring me (probably won't happen on the newer G's that the oil galley gaskets are prone to blow out at higher mileages, causing an expensive repair (at least $1500, and some dealers will charge almost $3000.) You definitely need to look into this, as some members on myg37 and g35driver have had this issue. The parts have been updated from a paper gasket to a metal core gasket.

Otherwise that ticking time bomb in my engine (it may have already blown I just don't realize it,) I'm happy with my car. It still has a beast of an engine and will put a smile to my face when I drive it. I get about 17mpg city/23 mpg highway.

I did have several problems with my car, but they were mostly taken care of by my dealer. Many of them are what other members have seen. Keep in mind that Infiniti has probably fixed those issues in the newer models.

One: I had to replace the tires at 23k miles. The tires were pretty bad: I would never recommend Eagle RS-A's.

Two: I had to replace the brake pads at 30k miles, even after already replacing them at 14k miles.

Three: I had a leak in my power steering that caused the dealership to replace the entire power steering rack at no charge at 35k miles.

Four: I had to get my front disc brakes resurfaced at around 36k miles because the brake pedal was vibrating. There was a TSB on them, and the dealer installed backing plates on these brakes.

Five: I had interior scratches on my steering wheel and the door panel trim handles. I ended up having the dealer replace these for free after complaining. The driver before me caused these scratches. Unlike some other member's experience, the dealer did not give me any trouble in replacing these parts. They did not even ask questions at all. The new parts seem to have different material on them that resist scratching. However, the steering wheel still feels the same, with the same material, so it may be prone to scratching again.

Seven: I had a serpentine drive belt issue that caused the engine to make intermittent squeaking noises. After expressing this issue to the dealer three times before, they finally attributed it to a broken tensioner that caused the belt to shred. This is after I mentioned that I noticed that the squeaking may have been caused by a drive belt. Dealer replaced both of these no charge.

The car still drives wonderfully, and I still love it, despite the issues I have been experiencing with this vehicle. I have always treated it very well (always on time oil changes, and premium fuel from Exxon/Mobil)

Here are more problems I had later:

1. Door wood trim was peeling off. Dealer replaced under warranty.
2. Instrument panel/gauge had to be replaced because the tachometer was stuck at between 1k and 2k when car was turned off while hot. Dealer replaced under warranty.
3. Passenger seat had to be replaced due to airbag sensor malfunction. Dealer replaced under warranty.
4. Wheel bearing had to be changed out at 57k miles. Premature compared to other cars I've owned. Dealer replaced under warranty.

I noticed being on g35driver and myg37 for a while that some members have been experiencing these issues same as me. I realize that this list may seem long, but my car is pretty trouble free since all the warranty work was done. I'm also pretty OCD when it comes to my car so I detail every small problem I had.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-18-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Michael440

Thanks for the info.
The problem with gasket is definitely something that I would like to know more about.
I will be getting 2012 G37 so I'm not sure if that problem was addressed in 2012 models. Dealer probably won't know much about it and I wouldn't trust him 100% anyway.

I see you had some minor problems with your G. I knew about interior falling apart in g37 as other people mentioned about gratin their reviews. They said that door panes was peeling off at 40k miles which is quite early for this kind of car.
I never heard about anyone having problem with power steering.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Michael440

I have one more question about 7AT.
I've read countless posts about problems with 7at in G37x. Some people say it's very hard to notice those problems during the test drive unless one would test drive a car for a few days.
They complain about hesitation, acceleration lag, downshifting. It's like 7AT can't decide what gear to shift. A lot of people regretting buying or leasing G37x.
Is this problem only with G37x or is it also with G37 FWD?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Michael440

Here is guy explaining why 7AT in G37x sucks,

Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
LOL, that video is made by wannabesport (ironic name) who bought a station wagon BMW because he messed up and leased an automatic transmission equipped g37 when he probably knew beforehand he would hate it. That seems to be his biggest and only valid criticism (paint blah blah, rattles yada yada, suspension in a non performance AWD system?, LOL) concerning the transmission but if he wanted to be in control why did he get an auto in the first place? The only thing he should really be complaining about is his error in decision making when he decided to purchase a car that could shift for him.
The following 2 users liked this post by AroundTheG37:
alfredo24pr (11-23-2014), Lego_Maniac (11-22-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan