G37 Sedan

Cup Holder issue, help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:38 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Cup Holder issue, help me out...

So I don't much care for the flap that helps hold smaller drinks in place and like that it will stay down when pressed down, only to return up when urged to do so. At least, that's what i suspect. I've only had the car for 2 days now, and the piece in the image below called "insert" has come out.

I've put it back in, but it no longer holds the "flap" down when I press the flap into it. It also doesn't seem too attached, there's a small tab on the bottom of the insert and two guide spots on the sides for putting it in.

I'm pretty sure I've got the tab and the guides all lined up and I've got the insert in there, but it's not holding the flap like it should.

Is the flap supposed to be held down by that insert BY DESIGN, or did that only work for me because my insert was a bit loose, and was grabbing the flap slightly.

Cup Holder issue, help me out...-so2p8u4.jpg
Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Snoogz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't about others, but I took that piece out cause it was annoying the hell out of me. Would pop out when I opened the cover or the cover wouldn't close because the piece would get in the way of the flap.

To answer your question, I don't think it's meant to be held by design.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:08 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 For its not supposed to hold the flap down. The flap has a spring and simply goes down or up based on the cup size you use or the absence of one. As for the loose insert, mine was loose too and when I pulled it out I found spare change had slid under it and was lodged behind the cover. I put felt tape on the sides & bottom of the insert to wedge it down tighter as it fits too loose as you mentioned. Now no more noise, loose insert, or lost change.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:04 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
g37xteme- i was detailing my car once and it came out, the trick to get it back and make it stick is to look in there and you will see two 'guides' on each side, the insert has a groove on each side...line them up slide/insert and voila, it stays perfectly...give it a try, will work...
Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
g37xteme- i was detailing my car once and it came out, the trick to get it back and make it stick is to look in there and you will see two 'guides' on each side, the insert has a groove on each side...line them up slide/insert and voila, it stays perfectly...give it a try, will work...
Thank you, I think I had it on there pretty good. I was just a bit saddened by the fact that the flap no longer stays down when pressed down all the way. I really thought that was a design feature, but I now see that my insert was probably half-way dislodged, and it was just enough to catch the flap. I did find it odd that the flap released so easily when I pressed on it (if designed to stay down), but thought this is better than nothing.